none
Nano Server and .Net framework RRS feed

• Question

• Do Nanoserver support .Net Framework. If yes what is the version. Not finding any image with .Net core support.
    Monday, November 28, 2016 11:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to my searching: Nano Server, like Windows Server 2008 Server Core, can't run the full .NET Framework. Instead, Microsoft developed a CoreCLR runtime environment that gives you access to most .NET Framework capabilities.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/02/03/coreclr-is-now-open-source/

Besides, when using this command to search registry we couldn't find anything:

Get-ChildItem 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP' -recurse 

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

Nano Server supports .Net Core (not the Full .Net Framework), and this is included in the RS1 (14393.*) base image.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not getting the point here. Please consider the Nano server in container perspective. Now I just want to lift and shift my existing .NET applications to datacenter/cloud. As a first step I will containerize that and move. Now If I use windows server core I'm susceptible to base image OS updates. I will need Hyper-V virtualization so that even with Base OS image updates my container runs well.

Now since it is told .NET framework is not supported, I will have to convert .NET to .NET core. Not easy task as of today. It is much a re-write.

Having said this, when I port to .NET core I can as well choose Linux container.

So why should I use Nano server container at all ?

Venkatesh. S|MCTS(WCF, ADO.NET 3.5)|eMail: heman_1978@hotmail.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:36 PM
  • well said that man... the whole thing should be about planned migration; not Microsoft obsolescence. stop running people down dead ends and start supporting business needs.
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:00 AM
  • I share the same feeling.

If my app is already dotnetcore, I will use Linux container.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:19 AM
  • With the price increase in Windows and SQL Server 2016, my company is doing "Microsoft obsolescence".... :( (I am a MS fans...)
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:20 AM