none
Internet Explorer hangs at start-up

Question

• I have been running IE 9 on Windows 7 since I bought my laptop, with no problems (approx three years).

Four or five days ago I used it in the afternoon, no problems, and then in the evening it would not load when I hit the IE icon.   The machine had not bee switched off and no updates had been applied in the interim.

I have tried resetting IE as suggested in several online forums and also tried downloading a portable version of "Fix it" on my main PC; neither solution worked.   Fix it will download but then I get an error message saying "try again later" which I have done over the past two days to no effect.   I have tried running IE with "no add-ons"; no joy!   I have downloaded the Microsoft Safety Scanner; no malware found!

I am rapidly running out of options so I'd be very grateful for any suggestions that might fix this glitch!  

Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:56 AM

Answers

• Please search Turn Windows Features on or off.

If you still cannot find it. Please go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel items -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off in the left pane.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:18 AM

All replies

• Review what updates are available I'm sure ie10 is listed but there should also be updates Important ones for ie9,

Although Microsoft security scanner is okay (what security suite do you use) has it updated,

Have you updated Java and Adobe products they also have released updates which I've found it better to uninstall the products and re-install them (or leave them uninstalled)

Shutting down your machine is never a bad idea because some update require a boot and usually it's better to completely shut down,

You can use these free tools to see if they find anything,

Manually Update them before running full scans,

Try not to use your computer while the scans are running, (one at a time of course).

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE

Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Hi Dissed

Thanks for your suggestions; I run Bullguard which is kept fully updated and has seemed to work well for the past three or four years since I moved away from Norton.  I'll look at Java and Adobe and see what the current state of play is with them.   I have my laptop set to update Windows when I say rather than letting it do it's own thing!   I'll download the two scanners that you suggest but may need to do that on my PC and then transfer them to the laptop.

Many thanks; I'll get back to you, hopefully with some progress!

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Try to run Internet Explorer with no add-ons mode.

Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (with no add-ons)

If the issue persists, please try to reinstall it for a test.

1. Go to Windows Feature, clear the option for Internet Explorer.
    2. Restart the computer, check the option back.

Niki Han

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Try to run Internet Explorer with no add-ons mode.

Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (with no add-ons)

If the issue persists, please try to reinstall it for a test.

1. Go to Windows Feature, clear the option for Internet Explorer.
    2. Restart the computer, check the option back.

Niki Han

Hi, sorry for interupting this thread with a question to Niki Han. I have a similar problem with IE10, it hangs when I start it up, I managed to make it start with "no add-ons" as you described above. But what do I do now ? how do I proceed to make it work in ordinary mode ? Is there some place that i can delete the add-ons to see what makes the problem ? Best Regards niklas
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Hi Niki

As I mentioned in my first post, I've tried running without add-ons with no success; where do I find "Windows Feature"?   I've used "search programmes and files" with no joy.

Thanks, AlanW

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Please search Turn Windows Features on or off.

If you still cannot find it. Please go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel items -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off in the left pane.

Niki Han

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:18 AM
  • Niki, I have the exact same problem. It started about the same time as AlanWa's. IE9 Win7 .Toshiba Satellite Intel i5. Used to fly on the internet. All other programs work fine.  Tried all the listed tricks on the MS web. Tried your turn off, turn on. It did not help.....sigh. I noticed it did NOT re-install. It seems to have just turned off and on IE. When I turned it back on I still have all my old settings in IE.

Any other thoughts. I too have used the MS malware tools, Nortons Scans and even Nortons Power Eraser. Nothing is found.

I've a feeling something got changed in a MS update during May.

It takes 25 - 35 seconds for IE to open most times. Other times it loads normal and then takes 25-35 sec for a page to open. Then it runs fine.

I have a total of three computers on this home network. One that is corporate and doesn't get the usual updates. One is Android. They have no troubles. I have switched from wireless to the LAN cable the corporate pc uses. No help.

Friday, June 7, 2013 11:48 PM
  • AlanWa,

Try upgrading to IE10 & see.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:51 AM
  • Niki, where'd you go. You had some very good suggestions. Unfortunately they didn't work for me but I am anxious to hear if you have other ideas.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:26 PM