none
The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client RRS feed

• Question

• hi every body

today when i tried to login to one of computers in domain with the user privilege (user who allowed to remote desktop the system) this massage displayed "an authentication error has occurred. the local security authority cannot be contacted. this could be due to an expired password." i reset his account password but error steal was there! i use network admin account to remote the system and done! in the system events there was a log: "The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client". i still cannot remote it by other credential but network admin! how can i resolve this?

the system OS is win 7 ult. firewall is off. av has no log about this error. the user account is member of local admins & remote desktop users.

thanks for your time and sorry for bad English. 

Saturday, June 22, 2019 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Was the user account able to remote to the computers before?

2.>>i reset his account password but error steal was there!

How did you changed the password and have you verified whether it went into effect in the domain?

3.To conclude, currently only admin account could be able to remote to the server. Then have you tried to test by creating a new user account? To confirm if the same error occurred with the new account.

4. Please clarify the OS version of both local computer and the target(remote) one. And kindly check if any patch has been updated on them recently.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 4:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:48 AM
  • sorry for delay

1- yes it was able to remote before.

2- i'm the domain admin and change the pass in active directory users and computers console and when use the old pass it return error massage about user and password.

3- no other account can remote the target system (no local & no domain accounts even those account that are belong to target system's local admin group). only the domain admin account can remote it!

4- target system is win 7 ultimate and i try to remote it by win 2012 R2 & win 7 and win 10 and all were the same result

Monday, July 1, 2019 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update. Per searching, several causes will lead to such error and you may try the listed suggestions below and verify if anything helps:

1. Change the remote desktop security on the RD server to RDP Security Layer

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2493594/rdp-connection-to-remote-desktop-server-running-windows-server-2008-r2

2. Uncheck and NLA and test with Allow connections from computers …… less secure.

3. Rejoin the domain

4. Check the DNS settings

5. Kindly check if you have same situation like below post:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1953770-an-authentication-error-has-occurred-the-local-security-authority

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks,
    Jenny

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 5:33 AM