"We can't show MailTips right now" message for single user. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who when composing a new email gets the "We can't show MailTips right now" message in his Outlook client. This includes the inability to view Out of Office and free/busy data. He's been having the issue for some time but I've not really looked into it since it was just him and I was going to be migrating users to Exchange 2016 anyway (which I'm now in the process of doing).

- User's mailbox was on Exchange 2010 when he started having the error. I migrated him to Exchange 2016 today and he still has the same problem.

- User can get Out of Office/MailTips in OWA.

- User cannot get MailTips in Outlook 2013. He has three different clients that I've tested it on (Citrix, local desktop installation, laptop installation).

- I've run outlook.exe /cleanmailtipcache on all clients but to no effect.

What else can I look at for this user? Thanks.

Friday, October 26, 2018 2:28 PM

Answers

• Checking back in on this with an update, as I've opened a case with Microsoft Support.

Preliminary work showed two issues that were contributing to the problem.

The first issue was that during a previous MS support case they had modified the authentication methods for IIS on my 2016 server, and had removed OAUTH as one of the methods. After enabling this authentication method and relaunching Outlook on a couple of affected user machines the MailTips and Free/Busy data were displaying properly.

The second issue was specific to the user who first reported the problem. This particular user had the problem even before I had migrated his mailbox. His issue was that he has two accounts--one with domain admin privileges, and one without admin privileges (which is the one his mailbox was attached to). This was a holdover from our Blackberry days.

The user had granted his domain admin account Full Access privileges to his mailbox account in Exchange, allowing him to add the Outlook profile to his domain admin login session without needed to provide the mailbox account's credentials. Apparently with 2016 this also prevented him from using the enhanced features like MailTips and the like (it turned out his Free/Busy data was working fine, just not MailTips). We removed his domain admin account from the Full Access permissions on the mailbox, then launched Outlook again and he was prompted for credentials. Entering the username/password for the actual mailbox account and saving the credentials allowed him to see MailTips normally. This makes sense as he started noticing the problem after I had directed all user client connectivity to go through the 2016 server.

I still have the case open though, as I moved a few more users last night and 2 out of 3 of them are having the problem this morning, so I need to continue troubleshooting.

• Edited by JGrover Friday, November 9, 2018 8:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by JGrover Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:25 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2018 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi JGrover,

Thanks for visiting our forum. Then here we mainly focus on general issues about Office desktop client. Since your query is more related to Exchange sever side, I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Exchange 2016 for better response:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=Exch2016CM

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 29, 2018 5:55 AM
  • What does

Get-CasMailbox user@domain.com | Fl *Enabled

show? Also check for any issues with autodiscover for that user.

Monday, October 29, 2018 8:05 PM
  • ActiveSyncEnabled       : True
    OWAEnabled              : True
    OWAforDevicesEnabled    : True
    ECPEnabled              : True
    PopEnabled              : True
    PopMessageDeleteEnabled : False
    ImapEnabled             : True
    MAPIEnabled             : True
    MapiHttpEnabled         :
    UniversalOutlookEnabled : True
    EwsEnabled              :

I compared this to mine (which works) and mine looks the same. Autodiscover seems to work fine as well; I set up a new profile and didn't have any issues (other than MailTips not working).

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:16 PM
  • I also now have a user for whom it stopped working right after I moved their mailbox to 2016. It was working prior to the move.

**EDIT** The other user I moved yesterday also has this issue now.

Is it perhaps a security/permissions issue? My account can manage the Exchange organization and the others can't.
    • Edited by JGrover Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:09 PM
  • Another interesting tidbit: 

While trying to troubleshoot the issue I found articles indicating I should enable diagnostics logging in Outlook and reproduce the problem, then look at the mailtips log. After not being able to find it I learned that Outlook 2013/2016 doesn't produce a diagnostic log for mailtips.

I installed Outlook 2010 on a machine and logged in with an affected user. Mailtips don't show/load in 2010 until you have a recipient entered, so I entered a recipient and clicked Check Names and the mailtip I'd configured showed up in Outlook 2010.

In Outlook 2013 and 2016 however the MailTips won't display for the affected users (even with a new profile, trying /cleanmailtipcache, etc) though on the same machine they'll display for others.

Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:59 PM
  • Hello

Did you check EWS is working fine for these users?

An easy test is to use a mail client that uses only EWS (ie EmClient).

Please note mailtip will always work when using OWA as your are already on the Exchange server.

Outlook will try to connect to EWS on port 443 and might fail reaching EWS.

Florent

Friday, November 2, 2018 10:56 AM
  • It took me a minute to get it working (I didn't realize it was ignoring the account credentials I'd entered and was using integrated Windows authentication) but yes, I can connect to an affected mailbox using EM Client via EWS.
    Friday, November 2, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Checking back in on this with an update, as I've opened a case with Microsoft Support.

Preliminary work showed two issues that were contributing to the problem.

The first issue was that during a previous MS support case they had modified the authentication methods for IIS on my 2016 server, and had removed OAUTH as one of the methods. After enabling this authentication method and relaunching Outlook on a couple of affected user machines the MailTips and Free/Busy data were displaying properly.

The second issue was specific to the user who first reported the problem. This particular user had the problem even before I had migrated his mailbox. His issue was that he has two accounts--one with domain admin privileges, and one without admin privileges (which is the one his mailbox was attached to). This was a holdover from our Blackberry days.

The user had granted his domain admin account Full Access privileges to his mailbox account in Exchange, allowing him to add the Outlook profile to his domain admin login session without needed to provide the mailbox account's credentials. Apparently with 2016 this also prevented him from using the enhanced features like MailTips and the like (it turned out his Free/Busy data was working fine, just not MailTips). We removed his domain admin account from the Full Access permissions on the mailbox, then launched Outlook again and he was prompted for credentials. Entering the username/password for the actual mailbox account and saving the credentials allowed him to see MailTips normally. This makes sense as he started noticing the problem after I had directed all user client connectivity to go through the 2016 server.

I still have the case open though, as I moved a few more users last night and 2 out of 3 of them are having the problem this morning, so I need to continue troubleshooting.

• Edited by JGrover Friday, November 9, 2018 8:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by JGrover Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:25 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2018 8:01 PM