none
IE 11 Enterprise site list not working RRS feed

• Question

• My clients do not load my enterprise list. I have tried the following...
    1.Create a sites.xml file using the Site List Manager tool and store it on a network location accessible by all clients

2. Enabled the user based policy Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Let users turn on and use Enterprise Mode from the Tools menu"

3.Enabled the "Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list" group policy option and entered the appropriate URL to access the sites.xml file.
    3.Verified that the client applied the policy

The Key get written to the Registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]
    "Enable"=""
    "SiteList"="\\Servername\share\sites.xml

But it does not seem like my list is being used.
    According to this link https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/6c266558-a7f0-4169-a0a7-668899b1653e/ie-11-enterprise-mode-on-remote-desktop-server?forum=ieitprocurrentver
    A key with the current version of the enterprise list should be created
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]

(REG_SZ)"CurrentVersion"

How ever there is no EntpriseMode Key at that location. What else could I check?

I have run Internet Explorer for more than the 65 Seconds, also have already done multiple restarts but a current version key is not created.

The Patch 2929437 is already installed and I can manually enable Enterprise mode for a website from Tools menu but the website which I have mentioned is not opening automatically in Enterprise mode

XML File

<site-list version="1">
      <created-by>
        <tool>EMIESiteListManager</tool>
        <version>10.0.11060.1008</version>
        <date-created>11/26/2015 08:40:03</date-created>
      </created-by>
      <site url="website.domain.com">
        <compat-mode>Default</compat-mode>
        <open-in>IE11</open-in>
      </site>
    < /site-list>

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

I have checked that Windows 7 is having .net 4.5 already installed. I have specifically tried installing .net 4.0 but it says that latest version already installed

• Edited by Sukhwin08 Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sukhwin08 Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:02 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:18 AM

All replies

• Just another update. The policy is working in Windows 10 but the issue is happening in Windows 7 PC's. The registry key is getting created in Window 10 but not in Windows 7
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

EMSLM only works where IE11 is installed.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. All the Windows 7 PC's where we are testing are having IE11

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:32 AM
  • Hi Sukhwin08,

From your description, I suppose the reason of the issue may related to permission due to the regular key doesn't be created in registry.

I would like to suggest you find a test machine, then check two things about the issue.

1. Log on as local built -in administrator to perform the changes. 

2. Try to enable the group policy which you mentioned above under "Computer configuration".

After that, check the issue again.

Please tell us the result after you checking.

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:15 AM
  • Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply. I had already checked the permission part and it is fine as I am  able to manually create Keys under above mentioned registry path. Also I have applied the policy under computer configuration but no use.

While checking we found that I need to use older version of Enterprise mode site list manager which will create XML files compatible with Windows 7. I have created the XML file which looks like below. But the issue still persists.

Please suggest if anyone knows the V1 XML file

<rules version="1">
      <emie>
        <domain exclude="false">microsoft.com</domain>
        <domain exclude="false">Test.domain</domain>
        <domain exclude="false">Domain.com</domain>
      </emie>
    </rules>

• Edited by Sukhwin08 Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:36 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:36 AM
  • Hi Sukhwin08,

Thank you for your reply.

I get impression that the issue is occurred in Windows 7 clients but not Windows 10 clients. Therefore, I would like to suggest you to check the version of Enterprise Mode Site List Manager. As we known, it exits two version of Enterprise Mode Site List Manager tool.

Since you are using the v.1 schema, we suggest use the  Enterprise Mode Site List Manager tool in the link below. After that, test the issue again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42501

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 4, 2015 2:32 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have created the xml file using the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager tool from the link which you have provided but no use. The issue still persists. The XML file looks like as follows

<rules version="1">
      <emie>
        <domain exclude="false">microsoft.com</domain>
        <domain exclude="false">Test.domain</domain>
        <domain exclude="false">Domain.com</domain>
      </emie>
    < /rules>

Friday, December 4, 2015 6:19 AM
  • an example:

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, December 4, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

I am doing it the same way and the xml which is getting created is provided. The same is working fine in Windows 10 but not in Windows 7

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:21 AM
  • Although KB2929437 is the minimum patch level, we found that KB3003057 was necessary.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms14-065

But, best would be to ensure that the latest CU for IE is applied;
    KB3100773
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-112

Friday, December 4, 2015 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

The security update KB3100773 is already installed in the PC's

Monday, December 7, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

I have received the message regarding to your issue. I noticed that you have tried the old version but it still  failed, and it works fine in Windows 10 but not in Windows 7.

I would like to know the .NET framework version of your Windows 7. Based on my research, the Enterprise Mode Site List tool need .NET framework 4. Therefore, I suppose that your .NET framework in Windows has not updated to version 4 due to you mentioned it works fine in Windows 10 but not Windows 7. Certainly, it is just my suppose. You could try to check it if you haven't upgraded the .NET framework version.

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon 

Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:15 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I have checked that Windows 7 is having .net 4.5 already installed. I have specifically tried installing .net 4.0 but it says that latest version already installed

• Edited by Sukhwin08 Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sukhwin08 Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:02 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am doing it the same way and the xml which is getting created is provided. The same is working fine in Windows 10 but not in Windows 7

Is the Windows7 user, able to access (download) the sitelist.xml file? (are file permissions ok?)

Alternatively, you could try to set the EM sitelist location to c:\temp\sitelist.xml via Local GP, copy the sitelist.xml to c:\temp\sitelist.xml, and then test that?

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:48 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Hi Simon,

After your suggestion I have verified the .net version of Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC's and found the .net version in Windows 10 is 4.6 whereas the same is 4.5 in Windows 7.

After installing .net version 4.6 the issue is resolved. It seems that is the minimum requirement but I could not find the same in any of the MS articles.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:02 PM
  • I've installed .net 4.6 on my Windows 7x64 Enterprise system and EM is still not working.

I've got the following setup:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode
    "Enable"=""
    "SiteList"="file:///c:\\Windows\\sites.xml"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode
    "Enable"=""
    "SiteList"="file:///c:\\Windows\\sites.xml"

Here is an entry from sites.xml that is not working:

- <site url="portal/administrator">
      <compat-mode>IE9</compat-mode>
      <open-in>IE11</open-in>
      </site>

Am I missing something somewhere - are there logs that I can look at that can show me what's going on?  the event viewer is not showing anything.

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Here is an entry from sites.xml that is not working:

<site url="portal/administrator">
    <compat-mode>IE9</compat-mode>
    <open-in>IE11</open-in>
    </site>

That looks like the new (Win10 only) XML schema V2 - it won't work on Win7.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn894101.aspx

For Win7, you must use the correct EMSLM tool to produce V1 schema XML files.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42501

• Edited by DonPick Monday, December 14, 2015 11:07 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Thanks Don - I will test and update shortly.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:22 PM