Exchange 2010 Mailbox role install error: You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty. Property Name: EmailAddresses RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 2007 SP2 clustered organization. Try to migrate to Exchange 2010 organization.

For now have installed CAS and Hub Transport roles.

When try to install first 2010 mailbox role on a separate server get the error:

Error:
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); $arbUsers = @(get-user -Filter {lastname -eq "MSExchApproval 1f05a927-3be2-4fb9-aa03-b59fe3b56f4c"} -IgnoreDefaultScope -ResultSize 1); if ($arbUsers.Length -ne 0) { $mbxname = $arbUsers[0].name; $mbxs = @( get-mailbox -arbitration -Filter {name -eq $mbxname} -IgnoreDefaultScope -resultSize 1 ); if ( $mbxs.length -eq 0) { $dbs = @(get-MailboxDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -DomainController $RoleDomainController); if ($dbs.Length -ne 0) { enable-mailbox -Arbitration -identity $arbUsers[0] -database $dbs[0].Identity; } } }" was run: "You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty. Property Name: EmailAddresses".

You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty. Property Name: EmailAddresses

Install failed, don't know what I should be do...

Please help!

INSTALLATION LOGS

Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• Re-run "setup /prepareAD", then try to reinstall the the mailbox server role again.

Jason.

Jason

If it was helpful, vote for it. If it answered your question, mark it as answered. Small thing to do for free help from a strong community :)
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:51 PM
  • HAve you seen:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_26198915.html

I was able to determine the fix for this issue.

Using adsiedit.msc I navigated to: CN=SystemMailbox{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}
    The field proxyAddress was empty.  I modified it's value to contain:
    SMTP:CN=SystemMailbox{1f05a927-169a-4378-aa92-75fee472f2af}@.domain.com
    (where as domain is your domain name).

After making this change I re-ran the setup and Mailbox Role ran to completion.

Also:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/08/28/452209.aspx

So I think I figured out the problem with my earlier post in case anyone is seeing a similar issue....  Regarding the error:

"You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty. Property Name: EmailAddresses".

Looking closer at the ExchangeSetupLogs, I was able to find the mailbox this error message was referencing:

FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042

A closer look/read says this is the "Discovery Mailbox" which was supposed to be rebuilt from a setup.com \prepareschema, setup.com \perparead, and setup.com \preparedomain.

I found this account in a disabled state (this may be by design), as well as with no email addresses populated in the ProxyAddresses attribute as per ADSIEdit (not sure if it is even supposed to have an email address).

Fix: I re-enabled the account, and entered in an email address for the ProxyAddresses attribute for the discovery mailbox, reran the install, and it processed successfully through past the readiness check and install. 

Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:35 PM

All replies

• This is my second install.

First time after successful install i rename server that host mailbox role, after that i know that is not supported, so i renamed it back, uninstall exchange mailbox role from this server, move it to the workgroup.

After that I done second install on the fresh OS that have right name for now.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Re-run "setup /prepareAD", then try to reinstall the the mailbox server role again.

Jason.

Jason

If it was helpful, vote for it. If it answered your question, mark it as answered. Small thing to do for free help from a strong community :)
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:51 PM

Jason.

Jason

Re-run it, but now install freeze on starting MSExchangeADTopology service. In service state see 'Starting' but nothing change...
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Reinstall OS on the MBX server, re-run 'setup /PrepareAd', run Exchange setup for MBX role, have the same error:

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); $arbUsers = @(get-user -Filter {lastname -eq "MSExchApproval 1f05a927-3be2-4fb9-aa03-b59fe3b56f4c"} -IgnoreDefaultScope -ResultSize 1); if ($arbUsers.Length -ne 0) { $mbxname = $arbUsers[0].name; $mbxs = @( get-mailbox -arbitration -Filter {name -eq $mbxname} -IgnoreDefaultScope -resultSize 1 ); if ( $mbxs.length -eq 0) { $dbs = @(get-MailboxDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -DomainController $RoleDomainController); if ($dbs.Length -ne 0) { enable-mailbox -Arbitration -identity $arbUsers[0] -database $dbs[0].Identity; } } }" was run: "You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty. Property Name: EmailAddresses".

Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:03 PM
  • HAve you seen:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_26198915.html

I was able to determine the fix for this issue.

Using adsiedit.msc I navigated to: CN=SystemMailbox{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}
    The field proxyAddress was empty.  I modified it's value to contain:
    SMTP:CN=SystemMailbox{1f05a927-169a-4378-aa92-75fee472f2af}@.domain.com
    (where as domain is your domain name).

After making this change I re-ran the setup and Mailbox Role ran to completion.

Also:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/08/28/452209.aspx

So I think I figured out the problem with my earlier post in case anyone is seeing a similar issue....  Regarding the error:

"You can't leave the EmailAddresses parameter value empty. Property Name: EmailAddresses".

Looking closer at the ExchangeSetupLogs, I was able to find the mailbox this error message was referencing:

FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042

A closer look/read says this is the "Discovery Mailbox" which was supposed to be rebuilt from a setup.com \prepareschema, setup.com \perparead, and setup.com \preparedomain.

I found this account in a disabled state (this may be by design), as well as with no email addresses populated in the ProxyAddresses attribute as per ADSIEdit (not sure if it is even supposed to have an email address).

Fix: I re-enabled the account, and entered in an email address for the ProxyAddresses attribute for the discovery mailbox, reran the install, and it processed successfully through past the readiness check and install. 

Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

how can I fill the ProxyAddresses attribute for the discovery mailbox?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:57 PM