none
Setup Branch Office Direct Printing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I got 10 branch offices with Windows 10 Clients and each site got the network printer and currently shared from the HQ windows 2012r2 server. 

How do i test BODP using the same server and keeping the same print share?

I assume need to install the  Print and Document Services and Setup BranchCashe ( Distributed Mode)

Also how do we check/Monitor its actually working?

As 

Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Relate event and log may be helpful.

Branch Office Direct Printing Event IDs:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/jj134152(v=ws.11)#branch-office-direct-printing-event-ids

Branch Office Direct Print (BODP) Logging applied to WS 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and later OS version:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/dn482442(v=ws.11)

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:05 AM
  • The BranchCache feature is not a part of Branch Office Direct Printing, this Role in not a requirement.

Enable the PrintService / Operational logs

I would test the feature by setting up the printers using a Standard TCP/IP Port on the print server, make sure you can send a job from the server, make the required configuration change on the server, connect the Windows 10 system. send a job.  Does this print?  Yes Good.  Now Shutdown the 2102R2 machine sharing the printers.  Print from the client machine.

When you get paper out of the printer, turn the server back on and connect your other clients.  Good to Go.

Make sure you review the settings Eve mentions.

The Print logs will be uploaded to the server after the spooler service on the server is back online.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120127512A1/en

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks, now Printer is setup using Standard TCP/IP and Type 3-user mode driver type. BODP is enabled.

But when i shutdown the print server i can not print from windows 10?  

Is there a way to see the communication?

As

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:00 AM
  • Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
    Date:          21/11/2019 10:56:15 AM
    Event ID:      821
    Task Category: Client Side Rendering reverting to Server Side Rendering
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Client Side Rendering (CSR)
    User:          xxxx
    Computer:      A180
    Description:
    The print spooler Client Side Rendering is attempting to render the job 0 on the server (Server Side Rendering), status 0x0. See the event user data for context information.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:00 AM
  • Hi AUSSUPPORT,

SSR will disable the Branch Office Direct Printing feature.

CSR rending is a requirement for BODP

Thursday, November 21, 2019 10:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks, I understand and that's why i send that Event log so how do we fix this issue? or how do i troubleshoot?

As

• Edited by AUSSUPPORT Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:23 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:16 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/jj134152(v=ws.11)

Limitations of Branch Office Direct Printing

• The printer can’t be locked to accept print jobs from a single IP address. It must be configured to accept print jobs from any client.

• Settings that conflict with Branch Office Direct Printing (such as Keep Printed Jobs) cannot be used.

• If server side rendering (SSR) is required for some specific reason, Branch Office Direct Printing cannot be used because it depends on CSR.

• For example, if a client computer running Windows 8 receives and installs a v4 print class driver (a v4 driver that supports a broad set of printers sharing common features) because a model specific v4 driver is not available, then CSR is not possible and thus Branch Office Direct Printing is not supported.
    • If printer pooling is enabled on a printer queues, Branch Office Direct Printing is not compatible.

• If Branch Office Direct Printing is enabled, it will override the default SSR mode for systems like laptops and tablets. Typically, these portable computers running Windows 8 will force SSR to conserve battery power while printing. When Branch Office Direct Printing is enabled on a queue, it is assumed that bandwidth is more valuable than extended battery life, and the portable clients will switch to CSR and take advantage of the Branch Office Direct Printing feature.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Basically when the print server is online, what is the datatype of the spool file from the client system?

Pause the printer, send the job, double click the job in the queue view of the print server and go to the General page of job properties 

If the driver requires SSR, you can't use that driver in conjunction with BODP.  Most printers will support other drivers that will work as long as the correct print language results.

If the driver seems to be okay and you get RAW as the datatype, disable SSR on the client systems by the policy

gpedit.msc / Computer / Admin Templates / Printers / Always render print jobs on the server

Set the policy to Disabled

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

the details are:

As

Monday, November 25, 2019 2:50 AM
  • That's the expected PDL for BODP.

Are you still getting the 821 events on the client machine when printing?

The only thing I might change for this Konica Minolta driver is the print processor. 

On the server, Printer / Properties / Advanced , there is the Print processor button.  Switch to Winprint.

SSR is required when the print processor on the server is not installed on the client machine.  KM have packaged drivers so I do expect the print processor to be installed on the clients.

Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 7:02 AM