Printing from IE9 with Windows 7. Error message: "There was an internal error and internet explorer is unable to print this document". RRS feed

• Question

• I can copy a page and paste it into word and it prints fien. I can print all word documents, Excel document, powerpoint documents, PDF documnets stored and opened from Adobe acrobat, but not PDFs while still online. I have reloaded the printer driver (HP 1020 laserjet) searched through any windows and IE updates all to no avail. I tried running IE as adminitrator and turning off "Enable protected mode". I tried to run Mr Fixit to recreate a missing folder and it said "does not apply to your problem" (or words to that effect). I am running MS Office 2010 and Windows 7 and IE9. Help!
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please open your Internet Explorer, click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab,
    Under Settings, do not check "Enable third-party browser extensions*", then Apply and OK. Restart the IE, check if it can print.

If it resolve the issue, please fully scan your computer to find if there's any virus or malware.

Furthermore, you can remove IE9, and use IE8 to check the result.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, December 5, 2011 9:56 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please open your Internet Explorer, click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab,
    Under Settings, do not check "Enable third-party browser extensions*", then Apply and OK. Restart the IE, check if it can print.

If it resolve the issue, please fully scan your computer to find if there's any virus or malware.

Furthermore, you can remove IE9, and use IE8 to check the result.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, December 5, 2011 9:56 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:24 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem.  When I had IE8 installed, I could print with no problems.  I installed IE9 6 months ago and got the print error described above.  So I backed out IE9 and returned to IE8 and it worked fine.  I switched back to IE9 3 days ago, and the print error returned.  So it is strictly a problem with IE9 conflicting with something in my system.  I also have Office 2010 and Windows 7 Home Premium as Billsvolvo above has.  I put in the change that leo HuangLijun detailed above and it did not work.  So until I get a better answer, I guess I will return to IE8 again.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:15 AM
  • OK, I found the solution for this, at least for IE 64 bit.  My IE 32 bit never had this problem.   I am using Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

I read, from someone else, that opening IE 64 bit (right click on IE icon) and select "Run as Administrator" would allow you to print.  Doing that way has to be done each time you open IE 64 bit...BUT...If you right click on the IE 64 bit icon (not the one in the Taskbar) and slide down to 'properties' and then left click, you will see an "Advanced" tab box (about 2/3rds the way down) that allows you to open another properties page.  Click it open and select "Run as administrator".  This will allow you to print by just opening IE 64 bit the normal way and going to whatever webpage you want to print.  I have done several tests and all seems back to normal. 

• Proposed as answer by acearue Monday, December 12, 2011 10:35 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I recently had the same issue but with Vista 64-bit and IE 9.....but it started after I update my Norton to 2012.....I followed instructions above and uninstalled IE 9 and went back to 8....works great! Thank you...I spend days trying to resolve this with HP, Norton and MS...thank you again!
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I am running Windows 7, 64 Bit with IE 9 and had problems printing pages from the web. After three days of searching, I came across the above tip - and it works again! Many thanks, great input!
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem, or at least the same symptom.  However, unchecking the third-party box had no effect.  Running the 64-bit IE as administrator did not fix the problem.  I attempted to go back to IE8, but I'm running Windows 7 and there is no IE8 available for it.  Despite that, I downloaded the IE8 but it would not install, saying that Windows 7 was not supported by IE8.

So, I'm out of ideas.  I've tried turning off IE in the windows option boxes, rebooting and then turning it back on and rebooting and it still didn't hellp.

Any help would be appreciated.  Does anyone know what the real problem is?

Thanks, Tom

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Didn't work for me.  Windows 7 & IE9
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:54 PM
  • This procedure did not work for me since the upgrade of Windows 7 (64bit). As a workaround I could use Google, Firefox or IE(No Add-Ons) and print with no errors.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:09 PM