none
IE 11 Enterprise Mode Wildcard? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In the Managed Site List for IE 11 is it possible to just use a Wildcard so all sites will be in Enterprise Mode?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think we cannot, I try to edit the bulk list like this:

microsoft.com

bing.com

*.com

But I cannot import this list file to Enterprise Mode Site List Manager, but if I just import the two valid websites, it works:

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:57 AM
  • use a Wildcard so all sites will be in Enterprise Mode?

Since you aren't really constrained to using a "wildcard" for your requirement, you could try checking if there is some other method of doing what you want.  E.g. I would try using ProcMon for Registry events to see if any RegQueryValue are being used that would seem helpful.  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:27 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I think we cannot, I try to edit the bulk list like this:

microsoft.com

bing.com

*.com

But I cannot import this list file to Enterprise Mode Site List Manager, but if I just import the two valid websites, it works:

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:57 AM
  • use a Wildcard so all sites will be in Enterprise Mode?

Since you aren't really constrained to using a "wildcard" for your requirement, you could try checking if there is some other method of doing what you want.  E.g. I would try using ProcMon for Registry events to see if any RegQueryValue are being used that would seem helpful.  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I have just added an IP address to the XML file, it works, reason for using IP is that there is a lot of equipment in IT (switches, printers, cctv, PLC's, variable speed drives, projectors, TV's that are managed directly via IP as they don't always have forward DNS. It would be very handy to have the option to use wildcards or ranges in the .XML file, otherwise I end up adding a huge list of IP addresses to the XML file

Support the idea of wildcards for other reasons as well, for instance have an application xyz, *xyz*.local would add all URLs related to that app in one go

Comments or suggestions please,

Adri

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:50 PM
  • I have just added an IP address to the XML file, it works, reason for using IP is that there is a lot of equipment in IT (switches, printers, cctv, PLC's, variable speed drives, projectors, TV's that are managed directly via IP as they don't always have forward DNS. It would be very handy to have the option to use wildcards or ranges in the .XML file, otherwise I end up adding a huge list of IP addresses to the XML file

Support the idea of wildcards for other reasons as well, for instance have an application xyz, *xyz*.local would add all URLs related to that app in one go

in your example, everything is on your local intranet, but, might not have DNS A records ?
    the most practical thing I can think of, is to use another browser for those tasks, but, that might not be consistent with your company policy, and, if any of the targets on your intranet need ActiveX, isn't going to work too well.

Or, look into the DNS effort involved. We use DDNS, so everything which uses DHCP gets an A record (even all the IP phones, although they don't need that).
    All of our "infrastructure" switches, routers, servers, VC/UC units, printers, copiers - always have DNS A records (either static records or DDNS ones)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:30 PM
  • How did you manage an IP address in the xml file.

Please post an example.

thx

Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Like this

<domain exclude="true">10.10.10.132</domain>

Greetings

Friday, May 8, 2015 9:26 AM