none
Internet Explorer 11 - White Screen on Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My Server, running 2012 R2 Standard, has to use Internet Explorer (Version 11 installed), to perform various browsing tasks on a regular basis. 

Both automated and manual browsing between URL's randomly stops working and displays nothing but a white page. The only way to fix it is to quit IE and reopen, which slows the process down massively. 

I have all addons disabled. I have tried resetting everything back to default. I have also disabled GPU rendering.

Any suggestions on what is going on? For reference, the exact same automation took place on Server 2008 R2 previously with no issues - I don't understand what could be the problem here but assume it is something Server 2012 related.

Thanks

Matthew

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthew John Symons,

Based on your description, We may try to reset IE components to check the result.

Please refer to the link:

How to add and remove Internet Explorer components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/171229

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Hi Matthew John Symons,

Based on your description, We may try to reset IE components to check the result.

Please refer to the link:

How to add and remove Internet Explorer components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/171229

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

What do you want me to remove? The instructions you provided is not for IE 11?
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

You should not user server versions of windows to casually browse the web because by default IE on windows server runs in an enhanced security mode. It is safer to use a remote desktop session to access your server's control panels and to use a windows client to browser the web.

To help you with your question we would need to visit the same sites as you to see if they are using any plugins or addons that the server versions of IE would not like... please include links to any websites that you are having problems with your questions.

The most common cause of 'white or blank' pages is feature detection of flash... as I said though, server versions of IE run in an enhanced security mode...

however, as with windows clients the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in noaddons mode... Start>Run>iexplorer.exe -extoff [url]

You can also manually manage your IE browser addons from Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:51 AM
  • The server isn't used to casually browse the web. IE on the server is being used for some intensive automated tasks that are built in VBA. 

What I have found is that some sites have ads which ask the user if they want to leave the page. This is often hidden when the automated tasks take place, causing IE not to load the next URL, resulting in a white screen. Installing an ad blocker seems to fix this issue.

I also appear to have a problem around Cache, even though this is dumped at the end of each process, IE somehow seems to remember pages and refuses to load the current state of a page. To solve this, I've added a random variable at the end of each URL to trick IE into thinking it is a new page entirely.

From the above, it seems to be working correctly at the moment. 

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

for questions about Automating either IE or the IE WBC, please post to the IE Extension development forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=ieextensiondevelopment

As I said, IE on server versions of windows run in an enhanced security mode, even on the Administrator account. You could just as easily use a dedicated client machine to troll the web with a default browser configuration.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:53 AM