none
Hyperv OS 2019 vs Veeam vs checkpoints RRS feed

• Question

• Hey.

dunno if this is Veeam related problem or hyperv, here's the story.

Hyperv server - 2012 R2 with three VMS (2 linux machines and one OS 2016 VM).

Created a new server OS 2019 with hyperv role installed.

Turned off virtual machines on 2012R2 and live migrated to hyperv 2019.

Installed veeam backup and replication on OS 2019 and configured daily backups of virtual machines.

It works for 2-3 days then it stops working with an error about checkpoints.
    I think it's hyperv issue and not veeam issue.
    For example if I want to edit disk on a virtual machine it's greyed out stating that checkpoints exists (but there are no checkpoints?!?). Creating checkpoints manually not working, throwing an error.

But if we reboot Hyperv OS 2019 server then everything is OK. On VM settings we can edit the disk (it isn't grayed out more). And backups are running with no problem.

Any clues?

BCR

Sunday, June 23, 2019 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thanks for your posting in the forum.

In order to narrow down the issue , could you please temporarily disable veeam backup and then use windows server backup to do a test?

If the issue still occurs, please check the windows server backup log to see if there are something related for us to troubleshooting. Check the backup log in C:\windows\logs\windowsserverbackup so that we could collect more error message to find the main cause.

If everything works fine when you use windows server backup, I would suspect there was something wrong with veeam backup software. You might contact veeam support for further help.

>>For example if I want to edit disk on a virtual machine it's greyed out stating that checkpoints exists (but there are no checkpoints?!?). Creating checkpoints manually not working, throwing an error.

Run Get-VMSnapshot command in PowerShell to check again.

Are there any .AVHD files located in VM's VHD?

As far as I know, when where a backup software try to backup a virtual machine it creates a snapshot(checkpoint) to backup the virtual machine. Once the backup job is completed backup software deletes the snapshot(checkpoint).

The checkpoints created by backup software will not be visible in Hyper-v console.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Since it is happening when using Veeam, I would definitely contact Veeam.  Are you sure you are using the right version of their product?  Are you sure you are using it in the manner in which they have designed it to be used?  Those sort of questions should be answered by Veeam.

tim

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Haven't tried yet with Windows Server Backup.

Get-VmSnapshot does not show any snapshots

Bellow is the picture of greyed out disk option.

I have also posted now a question on Veeam forum:

https://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper-v-f25/hyperv-2019-veeam-b-r-9-5-u4a-failed-to-create-vm-recovery-checkpoint-t60229.html

BCR

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hi ,

If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Did you have any updates during the period?

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi Candy.

Sorry for late response.

We did additional tests, like I mention the only solution is to restart Hyper-V host and then backup normally works.

When backup stops working we have also tried to make a backup with Windows Server Backup but in that moment also Windows Server Backup throws an error and it isn't working.
    Didn't have time to look of the logs of windows server backup yet :/

BCR

Friday, June 28, 2019 9:03 AM