none
Calendar sharing - My Organization vs Default RRS feed

• Question

• One of our customers runs Exchange Hybrid with all mailboxes online. Client environment is a mix of Office 2013 Pro and Office 365 ProPlus software, users do a lot of calendar sharing. I noticed that sharing properties of some users' calendars displays differs: some users have My Organization in the list, while others have Default/Anonymous. Also, the appearance of permission settings available seem to differ. Does anybody know why this is so? Can it be standardized across the tenant ?

This does not seem to be determined by the Outlook client version, at least I've seen both views in the current version of Outlook (O365PP)..

https://support.content.office.net/en-us/media/1d2eec56-4375-450c-b425-d73fade96deb.png

vs

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-dwxliKHSbDMjrQznckLNAHaJ7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Monday, September 16, 2019 10:20 AM

All replies

• Thats a difference in Outlook clients.

Newer builds have a "simpler" view. (Office 365 Pro Click to Run)

"My organization" is the same as "Default"

You can verify with powershell: get-mailboxfolderpermission <user>:\calendar

Monday, September 16, 2019 11:19 AM
  • Andy, thanks for your answer!

That's one of the first things i had checked, but that does not seem to be the case. I have access to a machine that runs the newest production version 1908 (Monthly channel 11929.20300 C2R), and calendar permissions are shown in "legacy" view.. Also, I have seen older clients, for example version 1901 displaying calendar permissions in "modern" view..

PS: I know I can check the actual permissions via PS, but I need to understand and standardize the GUI in order to produce a manual for users with screenshots that look the same as users would see in their clients :)

BR, Ruslan

Monday, September 16, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Andy, thanks for your answer!

That's one of the first things i had checked, but that does not seem to be the case. I have access to a machine that runs the newest production version 1908 (Monthly channel 11929.20300 C2R), and calendar permissions are shown in "legacy" view.. Also, I have seen older clients, for example version 1901 displaying calendar permissions in "modern" view..

PS: I know I can check the actual permissions via PS, but I need to understand and standardize the GUI in order to produce a manual for users with screenshots that look the same as users would see in their clients :)

BR, Ruslan

What channels are the clients on? The ones showing the updated permissions view versus the old view?

Also ensure this reg key hasnt been enabled that forces legacy view

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar\ShowLegacySharingUX

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/user-experience-changes-for-sharing-a-calendar-in-outlook-5978620a-fe6c-422a-93b2-8f80e488fdec

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:07 PM
  • What’s the version of Exchange server are you using?

To see the new calendar-sharing UI, need to meet two conditions:

1. Outlook for Office O365 (version 1805 and later)

2. Using Exchange Online or outlook.com account

If you are connecting to Exchange on-premises, users will still see the old calendar-permission dialog.

As mentioned above, you are using Exchange Hybrid environment, maybe some users are connecting to on-premises Exchange server.

Please check this on your side. Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Most of the clients are on Monthly channel, some on semi-annual. The customer is on the way moving from monthly to semi-annual channel.

Updated permissions view versus the old view does not seem to be dependent on the channel or build (all O365PP clients are either the newest or next to newest build). I've even seen some O365PP clients on monthly channel change from Updated view to old view after build updates.. seems to be totally random.

Legacy view has not been enforced by registry.

BR, Ruslan

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Hei Perry,

Exchange server in the environment is 2010, but it is only used for management. All mailboxes are hosted in Exchange Online.

Autodiscover records for all domains in the environment points to Exchange Online.

I've recently observed a client running build 1908 (Monthly channel 11929.20300 C2R) displaying legacy sharing UI..

BR, Ruslan

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Have you compared between them? You can check Office Channel, Office version, Windows version, Exchange server. Does Calendar-sharing UI still show different even all the conditions are same?

I’m wondering if some updates may not be applied correctly during upgrading. We can install Office 365 on a fresh-new computer to see if calendar-sharing UI changes.

Or, we may completely reset Office settings on one problematic client via Registry:

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

(Note: this will remove all customization such as Outlook profile, View settings, ribbon settings)

1. Open Run from Start. Type regedit and press Enter.
    2. Go to this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0
    3. Rename this key to \16.0-old
    4. Restart Office.

Besides, as Andy said, permission is the same. "My organization" is the same as "Default". It doesn’t affect calendar-sharing feature.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Hi Ruslan,

Just check if there are anything else I can do for you. Please feel free top post back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:23 AM
  • Hi Perry, All clients running Windows 10 v1809. See screenshot of an example showing Outlook version and permissions window:

(UPN/SMTP have been hidden in screenshots). I've tried editing the registry key as described, but it did not affect the calendar permissions view. As mentioned before, the question is about controlling the UI for the user manuals, so that all users of Outlook see the same UI.. :)

BR, Ruslan

Monday, September 23, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Do you mean nothing changed after renaming -Outlook registry key?

I haven’t found related official articles regarding why the new sharing UI doesn’t appear. You can also add the ShowLegacySharingUX key mentioned above so that all users on Office 2013 Pro and Office 365 ProPlus can use the legacy calendar sharing UI.

If you still have concern about this, reinstall Office 365 on one problematic client. Download the office 365 package from official website.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:19 AM