none
2nd Session host problems RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently added a 2nd session host server that we are going to put off site. We got it setup in our lab here and it's on it's own router with a site to site vpn connection setup between it and our main RDS servers router. When both sites are up it works just fine. But if I kill the vpn connection to test the failover I run into problems.

When the Dell Wyse terminal tries to connect to "server" we've put both servers in DNS with a records and named them both server, it connects and ask for a username and then it starts to login and freezes. It then fails and if you look at the Wyse logs it initially connects to 192.168.90.3 (IP of failover server) but then after you type in your username and password it tries to connect to 10.16.1.3 (primary rds server) which it can't because that servers unreachable.

Any ideas on where I've went wrong?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to use DNS RR for load balancing, it is not above to detach failure server/system. Except for DNS RR and RD CB, you can also consider of other load balancing mechanism, specific hardware or software/application for load balancing which may also provide you more functions, such as automatic failure system detection.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jkay1804 Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, Connection Broker is used to load balancing for multi session hosts, please note that, the broker will balance the load based on number of active and pending connections. New sessions are created on the session host with the least number of sessions. Also, if there is existing session and have not been logged off, then, broker will re-direct the remote request to existing session, instead of create a new one on another session host. There should be a period of time for broker to determine the session host’s availability via Ping, once there is no ping responding after several tires, then, Broker will remove that RD Session Host server from the database, and direct remote request to another one.

Besides, if you configured DNS RR, there is no server system faulty/crashing detection and there will be request failure for the remote session. 

> It then fails and if you look at the Wyse logs it initially connects to 192.168.90.3 (IP of failover server) but then after you type in your username and password it tries to connect to 10.16.1.3 (primary rds server)
    I am not sure about your configuration:
    1. Use connection broker and create a A record to direct farm name to connection broker’s IP address.  
    2. Or, configure DNS RR with multi A records to direct farm name to each session host’s IP address. 

In general, once problem happens on one of your session hosts, we can manually configure the session host with “Do not allow new connection” in order to avoid more request failure. Also, configuration 1 with only connection broker(without additional DNS RR) is recommended, as connection broker has its polling intervals.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:32 AM
  • So if I understand you correctly if I have 7 session host servers I should only do DNS RR on 6 of the 7?

Is there no way to get the failover site to work with DNS RR when a connection broker is not present? Since the failover site is in another state doing a sql cluster for the connection broker isn't an option due to higher latency.

Thank you for your help

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

RD Connection Broker is recommended to RDS deployment as it provides the function about load-balancing and session re-direction. If you do not configured RD CB, and only configure DNS RR to load balance the session hosts. Once problem happens on one session host, it is recommended to manually edit the DNS RR – remove the problematic RD SH record – in order to reduce session request failure.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:47 AM
  • So lets say I use the RD connection broker instead of the SH in DNS RR. Right now I use the DNS RR for the session host. In the remote desktop window should what device should the users connect to? the SH or the connection broker?
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Client connects to the farm name, which has DNS record direct to Connection Broker, and Connection Broker will direct users to appropriate session host. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, June 21, 2019 3:02 AM
  • So I need to setup a name such as RDSFARM and give that the IP(s) of the connection broker? Then the connection broker will put the user to the correct RDS session host box based on their group?

If I try to rdp into the connection broker it can't connect.

I should note we don't have the RD Gateway setup as we are connecting internally or over a vpn.
    • Edited by jkay1804 Friday, June 21, 2019 1:11 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to use DNS RR for load balancing, it is not above to detach failure server/system. Except for DNS RR and RD CB, you can also consider of other load balancing mechanism, specific hardware or software/application for load balancing which may also provide you more functions, such as automatic failure system detection.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by jkay1804 Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:51 AM