none
How to apply IE11 to install.wim offline using DISM RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    Could someone please help me with the steps required to apply IE11 offline to install.wim using DISM? I have done some searching but I am unable to find any discussions around applying IE11 to install.wim offline using DISM. I tried extracting IE11-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe but the process is failing to install anything from my working folder where the extracted files reside.

    Thank you,

    Rob

    Friday, May 16, 2014 7:56 PM

Answers

  • I have figured out that after you extract IE11-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe, there are only certain files that need to be applied with DISM: IE-Spelling-en.msu, IE-Hyphenation-en.msu, and IE-Win7.cab are all that is needed. These all apply successfully. If you try any of the other files that are extracted, you will see DISM reporting errors.

    I have been applying all 9 patches called out in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847882 and they also apply successfully.

    What I have found out is that the slipstreaming has been working all along. The problem that was throwing me off was that after I ran my capture task sequence on a VM, I could not login to validate the captured image. The User Profile Service kept complaining that it couldn't start which resulted in a profile not being created.

    The solution to this issue is to install a clean instance of the Windows 7 version you are deploying to a reference computer and save a copy of the Default profile located in C:\Users. Delete the Default profile during the capture process and copy this new profile you collected into C:\Users, replacing the original, using the following command line: xcopy "source" "destination"  /E /C /H /R /K /O /Y. Using all of these flags will ensure that the profile will retain all of its attributes for all files and folders.

    After doing this, everything is working great!




    • Marked as answer by robwm1 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:35 PM
    • Edited by robwm1 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:34 PM

All replies

  • Have you insured that the required updates are installed prior?

    KB2834140 KB2670838 KB2639308 KB2533623 KB2731771 KB2729094 KB2786081 KB2888049 KB2882822

    bill

    Sunday, May 18, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

    Check this prerequisites first:

    Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847882

    then you can take a look at similar process of Internet Explorer 9:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh147968.aspx


    Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, May 19, 2014 5:57 AM
    Moderator
  • I have applied KB2533623, KB2639308, KB2670838, KB2729094, KB2731771, KB2786081, KB2834140, and KB2888049 using DISM and the tool reported that they were all applied successfully. I used the /x switch to extract IE11-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe. I then applied IE-Win7.CAB, IE-Hyphenation-en.MSU, and IE-Spelling-en.MSU using DISM and the tool reported that these also applied successfully.

    When I perform an image capture which deploys the altered install.wim, Internet Explorer 9 is still what is installed in the operation system (Windows 7 x86).

    Anybody have any ideas about what I should try from here?

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:46 PM
  • I have figured out that after you extract IE11-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe, there are only certain files that need to be applied with DISM: IE-Spelling-en.msu, IE-Hyphenation-en.msu, and IE-Win7.cab are all that is needed. These all apply successfully. If you try any of the other files that are extracted, you will see DISM reporting errors.

    I have been applying all 9 patches called out in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847882 and they also apply successfully.

    What I have found out is that the slipstreaming has been working all along. The problem that was throwing me off was that after I ran my capture task sequence on a VM, I could not login to validate the captured image. The User Profile Service kept complaining that it couldn't start which resulted in a profile not being created.

    The solution to this issue is to install a clean instance of the Windows 7 version you are deploying to a reference computer and save a copy of the Default profile located in C:\Users. Delete the Default profile during the capture process and copy this new profile you collected into C:\Users, replacing the original, using the following command line: xcopy "source" "destination"  /E /C /H /R /K /O /Y. Using all of these flags will ensure that the profile will retain all of its attributes for all files and folders.

    After doing this, everything is working great!




    • Marked as answer by robwm1 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:35 PM
    • Edited by robwm1 Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:34 PM
  • The User Profile Service kept complaining that it couldn't start which resulted in a profile not being created.


    This sounds almost exactly like a problem I had, and I've raised numerous bug reports with MS about.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2014/01/30/new-user-gets-event-1509-after-deploying-ie9-10-11-packaged-by-ieak.aspx

    https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/866200/deployment-of-ieak-packaged-build-via-localsystem-context-causes-windows-user-profile-service-to-crash

    I have re-opened the MS Premier case I logged, and have now filed a DCR for this particular "defect".
    This issue has been around for quite a while, has well documented workarounds in multiple blogs, etc.


    Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:23 PM