none
Cannot open documents from SharePoint Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Since the last update for Windows 10, (IE 11.192.16299.0) we cannot open most office Documents on our Internal SharePoint server via IE. PDF's on the intranet site open fine. This problem also exists with Edge Browser. But we have no issues if we login via Firefox to our intranet site.

The messages states: Sorry, we couldn't open 'http://intranetsite.blah.org/document.docx with an ok message. We are trying to open directly into word, not with the browser. (Maybe that is the issue) but before this update it was working. I have tried all suggestions online including:

1. Reset IE settings to default
    2. Deleted all Cache from IE
    3. Deleted cache from C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache
    4. Rebooted my systems
    5. Rebooted the SharePoint servers
    6. Ensured that the services for SharePoint where started

With no success.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

• Edited by Ryan McVey Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:20 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:59 PM

All replies

• hi Ryan,

Thanks for posting. For your problem, suggest you add one plugin to your SharePoint Server, which is ActiveX controls.

For SharePoint Server 2016, the browsers support levels in the following table: 

Using ActiveX controls in SharePoint Server 2016

Some functionality in SharePoint Server 2016 requires ActiveX controls. This produces limitations on browsers which do not support ActiveX. Currently only 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer support this functionality. All other supported browsers, including Microsoft Edge and the Immersive mode of Internet Explorer 10 have the following limitations.

For SharePoint Server 2013, please reference link:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/e09599f5-f900-48b3-9680-af1f1de3f65a(v=office.16).aspx

For SharePoint Server 2010, please reference link:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288142(v=office.14).aspx 

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know. 

Have a nice day!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Harap diingat untuk menandai balasan sebagai jawaban jika mereka membantu.
    Jika Anda memiliki umpan balik untuk TechNet Subscriber Support, hubungi tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:21 AM
  • So my issue turned out to be a miss match on a DLL file. I am not a SharePoint guy. I had an outside company that we were working for assist with this one. Here was the response I got.

1. Patches were applied recently
    to the production servers that may have included a few known issue KB updates (
     KB4011599, KB4011579, KB4011653
    and KB4056895

2. During these patch installations, a change
    was made to some of the binaries stored in the application pool directory and
    SharePoint 15 hive directory.

3. The issue seemed to occur because the
    change to the app pool dir was not reflected properly and in this case,
    STSSOAP.DLL had a different version than the 15 hive.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future. Thanks for the reply.

• Edited by Ryan McVey Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:05 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:04 PM