How to stop IE10 ignoring Tab Settings and opening new pages when target="_blank"? RRS feed

• Question

• This question was posed back in February without a satisfactory answer or any resolution. It is NOT a web developer question.

I never had this problem with earlier versions of IE all the way up to version IE8. Just my new IE10.0.9200.16635 with my new Win 8 Pro.

My Home Page is a 15 year old HTML file of custom bookmark links. Included among them is a page of Newspaper links, each newspaper link when clicked would replace an earlier newspaper link. Example codes: [edit: links were not accepted]

1. "NYT Link" target = newspaper - New York Times

2. "WP Link" target = newspaper - Washington Post

When I clicked one #1, NYT would open in new tab. Click on #2 and WP opens in that tab, and so on down the list...

It continues to function flawlessly in the latest Firefox but I'm damned if it will work in IE10 where it formerly did in 6 and 8.

I don't want a plethora of windows opening - just open tabs in one window only. I have my reasons.

Before anyone asks, I'm not computer illiterate, this new PC is custom built by me sourcing components from many different vendors. I have successfully run my own internet web sites for over 15 years. Those are probably the reasons I have largely crossed over to Win 8 Pro with an absolute minimum of problems since 24th June.

Many thanks in advance

Ian

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:05 AM

Answers

• Well.  I found a solution.  eh, a magical workaround that works.

That downloaded file above.  Its modified content has nothing to do with anything.

But using that file as a "container" does work.

That is:  [1] Right-click and save this html file to desktop,  [2] Open it with Notepad,  [3] Delete everything it contains,  [4] then Transcribe my original codeblock into it and save it. 

This works.  Even though its content is now from the original codeblock above, which failed to open new tabs.  Now, the exact same code in this special file correctly opens the displayed links in new tabs.  It's magical.

At step [4], try transcribing your code into it, Ian.  I'm eager to learn if this works for you too.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:42 AM

All replies

• Indeed. Hopefully we can get answers from people who can actually solve the problem, not just some half baked work around. I use Firefox 22, this is written in FF Browser, but I prefer to use IE for other purposes.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Tabbed browsing... Open popups in new window. Restart the browser for the changes to take affect.

<sigh>

this forum is for system administrators managing domain networks using MSIE browsers. We do not work for nor represent MS. Bitch elsewhere please.

the quality of our answers depend on the quality of your da questions.

for consumer questions post to answers.microsoft.com

@Ian...  "15 year old HTML file".... then it's bound not to be modern... is it....

Rob^_^

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:52 AM
  • >Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Tabbed browsing... Open popups in new window. Restart >the browser for the changes to take affect.

Most people would not associate "PopUps" with new tabs, in fact they would avoid "PopUps" like the plague.

><sigh>

Indeed!

>this forum is for system administrators managing domain networks using MSIE browsers. We >do not work for nor represent MS. Bitch elsewhere please.

Explain that to the MS Website which directed me here. Nothing above readily indicates an inappropriate forum. However, thank you for your lack of courtesy and profound air of superiority. I might be 71 years of age, but I'm still polite.

>the quality of our answers depend on the quality of your da questions.

>for consumer questions post to answers.microsoft.com

>@Ian...  "15 year old HTML file".... then it's bound not to be modern... is it....

Got a modern version of a straight link to Google, WebmasterWorld... I wasn't aware a whole new link system had been invented.

Rob^_^

Ian ^_^

Monday, July 15, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Those settings were previously in place - unsuccessfully. Solely for the benefit of later readers.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 8:20 AM
  • >Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Tabbed browsing... Open popups in new window. Restart >the browser for the changes to take affect.

Most people would not associate "PopUps" with new tabs, in fact they would avoid "PopUps" like the plague.

><sigh>

Indeed!

>this forum is for system administrators managing domain networks using MSIE browsers. We >do not work for nor represent MS. Bitch elsewhere please.

Explain that to the MS Website which directed me here. Nothing above readily indicates an inappropriate forum. However, thank you for your lack of courtesy and profound air of superiority. I might be 71 years of age, but I'm still polite.

>the quality of our answers depend on the quality of your da questions.

>for consumer questions post to answers.microsoft.com

>@Ian...  "15 year old HTML file".... then it's bound not to be modern... is it....

Got a modern version of a straight link to Google, WebmasterWorld... I wasn't aware a whole new link system had been invented.

Rob^_^

Ian ^_^

oh well....

try comparing your FX and IE settings..... YOUV'E done something different or you have different addons in the browsers.... the first step in troubleshooting IE issues is to test in noAddons mode.

bye

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Thanks.  Sorry for the previous Cranky Mouth.

Greetings from Budgewoi on the beautiful Central Coast.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Sorry Ian,

It really comes down to how you have coded YOUR page....15 years ago, web browsers did not have tabs... tabs reduce the number of windows a user has to open.....either you have another popup blocker installed in IE (Google toolbar popup blocker) or your page has coding in it (<base target="_self">) that prevents the IE setting to open in a new window. eg. xhtml 1.0 does not honor the base tag.... IE10 is standards compliant.... FX may have another interpretation...

here is the latest spec http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/Overview.html

If you want to post the source of your custom newspaper links page we can have a look at it and make the required changes for the 'Open in new windows' settings to work.

But if you want to open up several sites and compare them side by side you can first open them in tabs, then tear off a tab (hold the mouse down on a tab leaf and drag it from the tabs bar....to open in its own window.)

In Win8 you can then drag the window to either the left or right of the screen and it will be sized to occupy half of the screen width so you can compare pages.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Your "tab test" replicates my "newspaper.htm" file except change _blank over to _newspaper.

Worked fine until I inherited IE10 with Win 8 Pro [which I find nice if anyone's interested]. Never thought I'd live to say that.

I'll second your Hmmph.

When I get time I'll put my "newspaper.htm" on a web site and see what happens. Just as an exercise.

• Edited by Ian C. Purdie Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:38 PM Edit for clarity
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

target values with a leading underscore are reserved for keywords like _blank

I'll leave curious google idiot for you.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Hi-jack?.... see timestamps. curious.. sorry your the Jack..

How is that your replies don't appear on your feed.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:38 AM
  • Hmmm, I'll give it a fly later. Thanks to everyone. I'll be back.

Ian

from beautiful down town Budgewoi

God's Country

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Well I tried that. One window, with four individual tabs eventuated.

1. Tab test
    2. LA Times
    3. Washington Post
    4. Wall Street Journal

Previously in IE 8, it was only one window [1] and, only one tab with with each instance [2 - 4] then replacing each other in that tab.

I think I'll put it in the too hard basket for now and simply use IE 10 for "selective" uses only. Having 24 newspaper tabs open is a bit out of control, even for me. It still works for me in Firefox 22. I don't know about Chrome. Why the change, I'll never know.

Thanks to everyone for their generous support and input.

Kind Regds

Ian
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Your file mirrors my original and works entirely as expected, and hoped for, in Firefox 22. I bet I'd get that identical result in IE 8, which I no longer have installed.

The downside of IE 8 was, I was encountering far too many web sites which were incompatible with horrible results. To go to IE 10 meant  abandoning Win XP Pro.

So I bit the bullet, custom built a whole new PC, and installed Win 8 Pro 64-bit with IE 10.

However, in IE 10, all I get are still four instances of individual windows, even with your file.

It's not the end of the world, just an annoyance I can't overcome. When I faced up to moving to Win 8 Pro I expected all manner of catastrophic problems to overcome. Not so, only this little annoyance, I easily learned in under a month how to customise Win 8 to suit my needs, and that's a first. All of my old software, some 15 years old e.g. Paint Shop Pro, work seamlessly. Even look prettier.

As with all things, I'll beat it...

Eventually. Yesterday I repaired one daughter's 40" LED TV and her Miele Vacuum Cleaner. Not much ever beats me. Yes I have a strong 55+ year background in electronics.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:49 PM