none
Web Animated Image Sequences RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a year 3 computer science student at the National University of Singapore. I am currently doing a study on web animated image sequence (APNG, GIF, WebP, etc).

GIF is the dominating animate image sequence today. However, many argued that there are better formats such as APNG and WebP, and they should replace GIF. i would like to inquire on Internet Explorer's view on animated web image sequences and will there ever be support for formats other than GIF in the future

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Awee,

As we know that WebP uses an entirely different compression method based on Google’s open-source VP8 codec, which results in images approximately 40% smaller than their JPEG counterparts. This image format set to replace the aging JPEG format but not to GIF currently.

What's more, even if WebP does become a really solid option technologically, there's no guarantee that anyone online will adopt it or that browsers including IE will support it. Only Google Chrome and Opera support it now and just an older version of the format.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

I haven't heard that the GIF will be replaced completely. 

According to my test, IE 10 still support GIF format. 

Best Regards, StarSprite

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Hi StarSprite,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe GIF may not be replace completely, but do you think that the future of IE will have support for other formats such as animated PNG or maybe even animated WebP?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Hi Awee,

As we know that WebP uses an entirely different compression method based on Google’s open-source VP8 codec, which results in images approximately 40% smaller than their JPEG counterparts. This image format set to replace the aging JPEG format but not to GIF currently.

What's more, even if WebP does become a really solid option technologically, there's no guarantee that anyone online will adopt it or that browsers including IE will support it. Only Google Chrome and Opera support it now and just an older version of the format.

Kate Li

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi Kate,

Based on what you have mentioned, am I safe to say that the possibility of future IE supporting other formats beside GIF is very low?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Hi Awee,

I cannot guarantee what will happen in the future.

Thanks for understanding.

Kate Li

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:18 AM