none
Can't shrink my 17TB volume very much RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I originally set up my volumes, I created about a 17TB volume D: drive for all the storage of the files on my file server (which is a guest hyper-v machine on a host.   Both are running Windows Server 2012 R2.   

The 17TB volume contains 5TB of data.    I tried to shrink it an the most after a defrag was about 1400GB.   I ran diskeeper on it to see if that might help and it was still about 1400GB.   I shrank it and it is now 16272.   Any suggestion on shrinking it further?   If I had the space on the host I'd create a 5TB VHD and copy the data over and then wipe out this volume but that is not an option.

Saturday, May 25, 2019 12:47 PM

Answers

• Turns out the system protection was preventing me from shrinking it.   I disabled it and I was able to shrink.  I wish I had the option of moving the system protection so I wouldn't lose that history.
    • Marked as answer by boe_d Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:17 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• Turns out the system protection was preventing me from shrinking it.   I disabled it and I was able to shrink.  I wish I had the option of moving the system protection so I wouldn't lose that history.
    • Marked as answer by boe_d Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:17 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

>> Turns out the system protection was preventing me from shrinking it.   I disabled it and I was able to shrink. 

You can shrink your volume now, right?

>> I wish I had the option of moving the system protection so I wouldn't lose that history.

I don't quite understand your description. What's your problem now?

Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 27, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:25 AM
  • Yes - the issue was resolved.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:17 PM
  • OK, it's cool!

Friday, May 31, 2019 1:04 AM