none
WmiPrvSE.exe High CPU on server 2012 R2 DC RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked for this problem in many articles and have not come to a conclusion for the cause of this.

One of my domain controllers (server 2012 R2) is having a serious problem with High CPU consumption (constant 99-100%). when I open process explorer and suspend the WmiPrvSE.exe process under svchost, CPU drops to normal values.

I tried capturing network traffic accordingto this article but couldnt reach any conclusion.

I also noticed that when I suspend wmiprvse, svchost PID 912 drops to ~0I need to know what causes this.

I will appreciate your help

• Edited by tamimh Monday, July 15, 2019 11:06 AM
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 6:38 AM

All replies

• This one might help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4483874/high-cpu-usage-by-wmiprvse-exe-process

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 6:19 PM
  • also some more info that might help.

I see that EventLog under svchost is hogging CPU.

• Edited by tamimh Monday, July 15, 2019 11:07 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 7:23 AM
  • The simplest / safer / quicker thing to do is rebuild.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2012, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 17, 2019 12:05 PM
  • Rebuilding the dc is not an option. I’m looking for a way to troubleshoot this.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Rebuilding the dc is not an option. I’m looking for a way to troubleshoot this.

You can start a case here with product support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:09 PM
  • Well, I dont have that privilege :(

thanks anyway 

Monday, June 24, 2019 6:46 AM