none
Hyper-v vswitch architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I work for company which have a lot of little business unit in country.
    For those BUs we install local server for simple roles like file server, print server...those are basicaly ressources servers, based on windows server 2016.

Recently we've migrated our local on premise servers to local hyper-v servers. File server is virtualized on the host and we have possibility to create an second VM for new need. (network analyzer for example).

Our host have only 2 network cards, so to have good performance we always create teaming on servers.

With hyper-v we need to implement an vswitch in the host to connect the VMs to the network. But the vswitch is getting IP adress by like the teaming card, so our host can be joined on 2 ip which is problematic.

What is the best practice for this case?

1) Implement static ip address to the teaming card and the vswitch
    2) Implement static Ip address to the teaming card and APIPA address to the vswitch
    3) Implement DHCP Address to the teaming card and static ip to the vswitch

I tried one test, I Let DHCP enable for teaming card and vswitch, and at the final the vswitch become the main network card for my host server and the teaming is not appearing in the ipconfig /all command

So I suppose the best practice for my case is to let Teaming in DHCP but implementing static ip address to the vswitch ?

Regards

Friday, June 21, 2019 8:26 AM

Answers

• As said, you should not modify the team adapter in anyway. If you would like to assign additional adapters to the Hyper-V Host you can use PowerShell to create them, for example.

Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -SwitchName "vEthernet (VSWITCH01)"

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by Frédéric.G Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:19 AM
    Monday, June 24, 2019 6:18 AM

All replies

• With hyper-v we need to implement an vswitch in the host to connect the VMs to the network. But the vswitch is getting IP adress by like the teaming card, so our host can be joined on 2 ip which is problematic.

I don't quite understand your problem. Only Virtual Adapters (VM and Management Host) are getting IP's, the virtual switch itself doesn't have an IP address. 

When creating a virtual switch on top of your NIC team adapter you need to select Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver as the external network adapter. Also you will need to select Allow management operating system to share this network adapter option if you only have 2 network adapters. This will create a Virtual Adapter for your Hyper-V Host. 

Then you can use static IP's or DHCP on your virtual adapters, but in production you will probably want to use static IP's. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:36 AM
  • This is what I've configured:

But regarding teaming, maybe this is my error : teaming is static and vswitch is by default in dhcp

This occur this network settings :

The final effect is when I need to ping my host, sometimes this is the vswitch which respond.

I think I need to let teaming in dhcp and put static IP on the vswitch?

Friday, June 21, 2019 10:12 AM
  • You should not assign any IP's on your teaming adapter only on virtual adapter, in your case vEthernet (VSWITCH01). 

Friday, June 21, 2019 10:49 AM
  • ok that confirm what I expected.

The only reason to have an second IP would like to have an management entry on an specific hard network card out of team right?

Thank you

Friday, June 21, 2019 12:03 PM
  • As said, you should not modify the team adapter in anyway. If you would like to assign additional adapters to the Hyper-V Host you can use PowerShell to create them, for example.

Add-VMNetworkAdapter -ManagementOS -SwitchName "vEthernet (VSWITCH01)"

• Marked as answer by Frédéric.G Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:19 AM
    Monday, June 24, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi, situation is clear and everything works fine.

Thank you

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:19 AM