none
How to set 6 physical, 6 hyper threading total 12 cores to hyper-v virtual machine - A parameter cannot be found HwThreadCountPerCore RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows server 2012 R2 on physical dedicated server

I have created a virtual machine via Hyper-V and installed Windows server 2019 in it

My dedicated physical server has 12+12 total 24 cores

12 core is physical and 12 core is hyper threading

From dedicated server's hyper-v interface, there is no option to set how many physical cores and how many logical cores for the created virtual machine

So I am trying to set number of threads per core via the command below from powershell (running as administrator) in the dedicated physical server

Set-VMProcessor -VMName aa -HwThreadCountPerCore 2

//aa is the name of hyper v machine

However this command is giving the below error but it should work

What is the error and why it is not working?

How can i set X amount of physical cores and Y amount of logical cores?

Set-VMProcessor : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'HwThreadCountPerCore'.
    At line:1 char:28
    + Set-VMProcessor -VMName aa -HwThreadCountPerCore 2
    +                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-VMProcessor], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.SetVMProcessorCommand

This command has worked on my personal computer which is Windows 10

May this be related to hyper v scheduler type? classic core etc?

Browser based <a href="http://www.monstermmorpg.com">Pokemon</a> Style MMORPG Game Developer Used asp.net 4.0 routing at it's <a href="http://www.monstermmorpg.com/MonsterDex">Monsters</a>

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:36 AM

All replies

• What are you trying to accomplish by 'disabling' hyperthreading for the VMs?  In general, Hyper-V will schedule the VMs onto hyperthreads effectively and provide better performance for you.  If your really think that disallowing hyperthreads for your VMs will provide the best performance possible for your VMs, disable hyperthreading at the host level.  You would be running in a rare environment that benefits by not using hyperthreads, but I suppose that does exist from time to time.

tim

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:04 PM
  • 2016 was the first server edition to include the core scheduler.

Also, this is dangerous thinking:

Hyper-Threading does not double your core count. You have a 12 core system with a bit of boost from secondary logical processors.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:06 PM
  • What are you trying to accomplish by 'disabling' hyperthreading for the VMs?  In general, Hyper-V will schedule the VMs onto hyperthreads effectively and provide better performance for you.  If your really think that disallowing hyperthreads for your VMs will provide the best performance possible for your VMs, disable hyperthreading at the host level.  You would be running in a rare environment that benefits by not using hyperthreads, but I suppose that does exist from time to time.

tim

Seriously did you read the question?

Browser based online Games PokemonPets and MonsterMMORPG Games developer MonsterMMORPG > https://www.monstermmorpg.com PokemonPets > https://www.pokemonpets.com Games are developed with ASP.net, C#, SQL Server, CSS, Javascript, Jquery

Monday, June 24, 2019 7:52 PM
  • 2016 was the first server edition to include the core scheduler.

Also, this is dangerous thinking:

Hyper-Threading does not double your core count. You have a 12 core system with a bit of boost from secondary logical processors.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

thanks for answer

this explains a lot

so since my server is 2012 r2, it doesn't have core scheduler

and i am understating that without core scheduler, you are not able to set certain number of HT and physical cores to the hyper-v VM right?

also how did you set your custom link signature? it does not work anymore for me

Browser based online Games PokemonPets and MonsterMMORPG Games developer MonsterMMORPG > https://www.monstermmorpg.com PokemonPets > https://www.pokemonpets.com Games are developed with ASP.net, C#, SQL Server, CSS, Javascript, Jquery

Monday, June 24, 2019 7:54 PM
  • Classic scheduler: threads run wherever they can on any available LP (subject to a few other concerns, but mostly round-robin).

Core scheduler: threads run wherever they can but the second LP will ONLY be used by the same VM that is currently running on the first LP and ONLY if the VM knows about the second LP.

Just so it's said, you cannot ever really specify physical cores for a VM. You just set the upper limit of number of threads that a VM can run at a time.

ETA: I don't even remember how to set up a signature anymore. IIRC it's an HTML string. Maybe you have to be verified to put URLs in it?

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Classic scheduler: threads run wherever they can on any available LP (subject to a few other concerns, but mostly round-robin).

Core scheduler: threads run wherever they can but the second LP will ONLY be used by the same VM that is currently running on the first LP and ONLY if the VM knows about the second LP.

Just so it's said, you cannot ever really specify physical cores for a VM. You just set the upper limit of number of threads that a VM can run at a time.

ETA: I don't even remember how to set up a signature anymore. IIRC it's an HTML string. Maybe you have to be verified to put URLs in it?

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

So with core scheduler we are able to set 

6 physical cores or 6 physical + 6 hyper threading cores right?

thank you

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:28 AM
  • I do not yet have a definitive answer on that. My understanding is "yes" but I could be wrong. 

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:24 PM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:57 AM