none
DNS RR and connection gateway question RRS feed

• Question

• We are setting up a RDS Farm with Server 2016 and will have multiple session host, collections and we've got a VM running that handles the license role and the Connection broker role. 

Our farm is setup internally and the remote offices connect over a VPN so we haven't setup a RD gateway.

The session host servers are setup in DNS RR. 

I've read though that you should setup an RDS farm name and point that to the connection broker and that's how people login.

We are using Dell Wyse 3040 terminals and using remote desktop, not the remote desktop apps. We have 2 collections we use.

Is this the best way to do it for our needs? If so does that require us to setup the RD connection gateway for this to work?

Thank you

• Edited by jkay1804 Friday, June 21, 2019 3:32 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 1:43 PM

Answers

• hi,
    "so I am fine without the RD Gateway and using DNS RR for the session host?"
    Yes.
    Your understanding is correct.  End users use session host farm name to remote session host server then implement load balance. 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jkay1804 Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:56 AM

All replies

• hi,
    I am researching your issue ,thanks for your waiting.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:20 PM
  • hi,
    Is this the best way to do it for our needs?
    yes.It is good 
    structure.
    If so does that require us to setup the RD connection gateway for this to work?
    no. when we don't use vpn to connect external pc to internal network, we need to build RDgateway .
    So we just need to make sure that VPN are secure and stable.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:17 AM
  • Ok, so I am fine without the RD Gateway and using DNS RR for the session host?

Thank you for your help

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:11 PM
  • hi,
    "so I am fine without the RD Gateway and using DNS RR for the session host?"
    Yes.
    Your understanding is correct.  End users use session host farm name to remote session host server then implement load balance. 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

• Marked as answer by jkay1804 Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:56 AM