Printer Handle is invalid error while connecting to shared printers RRS feed

• Question

• HI Support Team, 

We have installed 5 Toshiba printers (STD TCP Port) with the latest toshiba printer drivers on a win 2012 Server and shared the printers.The printers are printing the test pages when printed from the server.

But, When we try to connect them from the client, on some clients it displays the error the Printer handle is invalid.

We tried to test by installing a HP Universal Printer and Sharing it. This also resulted in the same error.

We have a mix of Client OS, Win 7 , win 8, win 8.1 and win 10.

Need assistance in resolving the issue.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:57 AM

Answers

• Add a new Local Port using the name nul

Assign that to the printer added with the Generic driver.

I assume the print job is now getting to the server rather than throwing Invalid Handle error.

The job to LPT1: is expected to fail the write unless you actually have an LPT port and a device attached to it.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elaine Jing Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:18 AM
    Answerer
  • After following the above , we get the below error while printing test page.

"Test page failed to Print.Would like to view the troubleshooter for assistance?"

Hi,
    Please check if this error happened on multiple users. You could change another account to test again. If other accounts work well, I would suggest you check whether the profile is corrupt.
    The similar error is discussed in the following thread, please refer to:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3dcd3023-e7df-4d2a-8150-86b637d0929b/test-page-failed-to-print-would-you-like-to?forum=winserverprint

Besides, please try deleting and reinstalling printer queue on a problematic client , then test again.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please confirm whether the issue happened on specific operating system. In this case, it might be due to the driver compatibility, please check compatibility on the manufactures site or consult with the vendor.
    And please verify that 64 bite and 32 bite version of driver are both installed on server. You could go to check if the client and server are using different bite system. If yes, the 64 bite and 32 bite version of driver is needed.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

The issue is happening on win 7, win 8 and win 10.

The 32 bit and the 64 bit drivers are installed on the Server.

The printer driver is compatible as per the manufactures site.

Regards

Sura

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Add a shared printer to LPT1: that uses the Generic Text / Only driver

Attempt connection

If this also fails, it sounds like the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) is returning an invalid handle error.

I believe this was previously reported and resolved by changing a TCP registry setting but I am unable to locate the setting.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:11 AM
  • HI , 

The printer installation for toshiba printer gets completed.When printing the test page , it displays the error "Printer handle is invalid."

A shared printer is installed with LPT1: using Generic Text /Only driver , it installs the driver and test page failed to print.Would you like to view the print trouble shooter for assistance? error pops up

Thursday, March 17, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Awaiting your reply
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:24 AM
  • Hi,
    Please take a look the following article and could follow it to have a try:
    When You Try to Print, Error Message Reports, 'Test Page Fail to Print the Handle Is Invalid'
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/287284

Regards,
    Wendy

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:30 AM
  • The LPR Ports /ports is already empty.

It has only the default one

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Add a new Local Port using the name nul

Assign that to the printer added with the Generic driver.

I assume the print job is now getting to the server rather than throwing Invalid Handle error.

The job to LPT1: is expected to fail the write unless you actually have an LPT port and a device attached to it.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:18 AM
    Answerer

"Test page failed to Print.Would like to view the troubleshooter for assistance?"

While printing from Excel, the generic driver printer and the toshiba driver printer are giving the same error below

"Your file could not be printed on \\Servername\Printer name.There are several possible reasons:

•      There may not be enough memory available.Try closing files and programs you aren't using.
    •      If you use a network for printing, there may be aproblem with the network connection or the printer driver.
    •      There may be loose cables or a bad connection between your computer and printer.

For more informationabout trouble shooting printing problems , click Help"

And from adobe reader, the error is displayed as

"The document could not be printed.There were no pages selected to print 

Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:51 AM

Hi,
    Please check if this error happened on multiple users. You could change another account to test again. If other accounts work well, I would suggest you check whether the profile is corrupt.
    The similar error is discussed in the following thread, please refer to:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3dcd3023-e7df-4d2a-8150-86b637d0929b/test-page-failed-to-print-would-you-like-to?forum=winserverprint

Besides, please try deleting and reinstalling printer queue on a problematic client , then test again.

Regards,
    Wendy

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:40 AM
  • I know this thread is fairly old, but it is also the top hit on a google search for an invalid handle when attempting to print to a shared printer.

I ran across a situation today that a USB printer was connected to a Win7 machine, and shared. 
    A Win10 machine and server 2012R2 machine was giving this same invalid handle error.

Set the printer sharing options to render print jobs on client computer.

If you don't check the Render print jobs on client computers checkbox, the computer that's connected to the printer will process jobs, rather than sending them to the printer.

Doing this fixed my problem. 

After making sure the Render print jobs on client computers checkbox was selected, and applying the settings on the sharing machine, I reconnected to the printer on the client machine, and everything was happy.

It's probably better to have the client machines render the jobs themselves instead of having one central machine do all the work anyway.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:52 PM
  • I know this thread is fairly old, but it is also the top hit on a google search for an invalid handle when attempting to print to a shared printer.

I ran across a situation today that a USB printer was connected to a Win7 machine, and shared. 
    A Win10 machine and server 2012R2 machine was giving this same invalid handle error.

Set the printer sharing options to render print jobs on client computer.

If you don't check the Render print jobs on client computers checkbox, the computer that's connected to the printer will process jobs, rather than sending them to the printer.

Doing this fixed my problem. 

After making sure the Render print jobs on client computers checkbox was selected, and applying the settings on the sharing machine, I reconnected to the printer on the client machine, and everything was happy.

It's probably better to have the client machines render the jobs themselves instead of having one central machine do all the work anyway.

Thank you!

Your procedure resolved my problem.

Monday, December 16, 2019 2:35 PM