none
Need explanation on the difference between SRV Resource Record (Priority/Weight) vs LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight in registry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Need explanation on the difference between  adding SRV Resource Record (Priority/Weight) vs LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight in registry. Do they do the same thing? 

When would you use regedit to setup those registry values instead of SRV RR?

Thanks for explanation!

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight key is used for ldap service.

When you create a new SRV, you need to choose services.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:24 AM
  • But what is the difference between creating srv rr and going to registry and use ldapsrv entry?
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight  controls the response behavior to LDAP requests. By default, each DC has a priority of 0 and a weight of 100. The two keys can modify the default value.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 31, 2019 6:20 AM
  • But if I create SRV RR with _ldap with appropriate priority/weight why bother with configuring registry. Can you tell me example I would need to do it from registry?

What is the difference:

1) create SRV RR with LDAP, priority=0, weight=100 

2) going to registry and setup ldapsrvpriority/weight

I still can't get the answer.

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

When system registers the ldap SRV record, for example AD SRV, it will use the default value of LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight.

You also can manually create SRV records using custom values. 

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, June 3, 2019 8:08 AM
  • So your meaning is I can use either create SRV RR or go to registry to do the same? If I can do it from DNS server why would I go to registry? As you see in the pic, you can edit default values...
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Let me change the way I ask the question: If I can go to DNS Manager and add SRV RR from there, set up weight, priority and what have you- in what case would I need to go to registry to use LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight? To make it persistent? explanation?
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

After changing LdapSrvPriority/ LdapSrvWeight, restart the NETLOGON Service, and the SRV records in DNS should be updated shortly with the new values.

However,  the register values don't affect manually created SRVs.

Best regards,

Travis

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Bear with me for a while please. So you are saying that if I go to DNS Management and try to manually create the record:

I need to edit this record in DNS Manager directly. And tinkering with registry will influence only dynamic resource records? Obviously if I go to registry those settings will stay there UNTIL I go back to registry to f.e change them and no other way will do it? What is the precedence? 

Sunday, June 9, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Also, what I could find by myself is that this thing is about "Reducing the workload on the PDC emulator master"

"By reducing this value, DNS refers clients to a domain controller less frequently based on the proportion of this value to the value of other domain controllers."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc787370(v=ws.10)

I need somebody to explain this better for me. It's not about creating SRV RR in general but specific instance of it- i guess client logon. 

Sunday, June 9, 2019 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

Just like I said above, the DC will create the SRV with default value unless you change it.

This article has explained the weight and priority in great detail.

What else do you want to know?

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, June 10, 2019 9:51 AM
  • The difference between creating SRV RR and using LdapSRVWeight/Priority- what is the difference. The article does not explain this. I did not get answer for it. If I create 2 SRV RRs:

1) ldap 86400 IN SRV 10(p) 60(w) 

2) ldap 86400 IN SRV 20(p) 50(w)

This creates load balance and select which DC will be chosen first. What is the difference between SRV RR LDAP and registry? When to use first method (dns manager) and when to use registry? Still got no clear answer. I need just this. Concentrate on questions- it will help.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

What is the difference between SRV RR LDAP and registry?  

The DC will create the SRV with default value(registry) automatically when a domain is created.

If you modify the value of SRV manually on DNS console, it has nothing to do with registry.

When to use first method (dns manager) and when to use registry?

When you want to change one of the SRV records or create a new SRV, you can use DNS manager. 

Best regards,

Travis

Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:04 AM
  • :D If DC creates SRV rr manually by default, in what circumstances would you create another(this time manual) SRV RR in DNS Management? Then in addition to that, LdapSrvPriority/Weight are not there by default but you need to add them manually...There is more questions than real answers

"

DNS Manager

After you install Active Directory on a server running the Microsoft DNS service, you can use the DNS Management Console to verify that the appropriate zones and resource records are created for each DNS zone.
    Active Directory creates its SRV records in the following folders, where Domain_Name is the name of your domain:
    Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/dc/_sites/Default-First-Site-Name/_tcp Forward Lookup Zones/Domain_Name/_msdcs/dc/_tcp

In these locations, an SRV record should appear for the following services:
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

If you use the ldap srv record for AD, you don't need to create it by yourself, but you can modify it manually.

For your reference:

https://ldap.com/dns-srv-records-for-ldap/  

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.   

Best regards,

Travis

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:08 AM