none
IE 11 Enterprise Mode on Remote Desktop Server

Question

• Hi,

I've enabled IE11 Enterprise Mode and setup an XML-file on a fileshare which I've created using "Enterprise Mode Site List manager". 

When I logon with my test-user and launc IE, after aprox 65 seconds I get the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\internet explorer\Main\EnterPriseMode\ CurrentVersion string updated to the current version of my XML-file. I can then browse the sites and verify that Enterprise Mode is enabled for the sites that I have specified in my XML-file

The problems I'm facing is that if I logout my user and then log back on again to the server and start IE and brwose the sites Enterprise Mode is no longer enabled for them. Also if my user has manually specified some sites for enterprise mode this does not live between sessions. 

Where in the profile does IE EM store the data over which websites that are supposed to be in entprise mode? I've found under AppData\Local\ EmieSiteList and EmieUserList but theese 2 catalogs only contains "container.dat" which is 0 KB?

Anyone know? Has anyone gotten IE EM to work in RDS?

Regards

Jonas

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for late reply. MS gave me the standard BS-answer, they are aware of this issue but this is how IE11-EM is designed and it will not change. I guess you should only implement IE11-EM in an enviroment with only local profiles.

Quote from MS-engineer.

"

Hello Mr. Jonas,

Here is the best answer fit for our situation.

When Internet Explorer updates the sitelist, the entries from the sitelist.xml are imported into the internal cache-database. As the database itself is not roamed, those entries are lost as soon as the profile is deleted from the server.

The update mechanism of EMIE itself is also using the following registry-key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]

(REG_SZ)"CurrentVersion"

So in case this registry-key exists, it is concluded that a sitelist has already been imported, and the update-check for the sitelist itself is then scheduled for the next ~65 seconds.

When the next update check occurs, and the downloaded sitelist has the same version as the user has in registry, the xml is not imported into the cache-database.

In case, that the registry-key "CurrentVersion" below [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] does NOT exist, Internet Explorer downloads the sitelist.xml directly and imports it into the database, as this is a complete new configuration.

Therefore the deletion of the registry-key "CurrentVersion" below [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] enables the functionality for roaming profiles.

This is how the procedure is currently designed for the current version of Internet Explorer, and that this may change in a future update (although I am not aware of such a plan).

"

Regards

Jonas

• Marked as answer by Jonas_Bson Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you logoff and login again, locate to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] “SiteList” = {File or URL}, check whether the sitelist is lost after logoff.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

If you centrally deploy the site list by creating a GPO that linked to desired group\domain\OU, pay attention to the GPO priority. some GPO will be overridden due to a lower priority.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785665(v=ws.10).aspx

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hello,

We setup IE Enterprise Mode on a user-level. The registry-key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] "SiteList" = {File or URL} is kept between logins.

It feels like IEEM reads the SiteList-file and then stores it somewhere local, and it only reads the file if the HKCU-key "CurrentVersion" is lower then the version in the XML-file. However I can't find any documentation which says that this is the way IEEM works so I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this.

Regards

Jonas

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:10 PM
  • It feels like IEEM reads the SiteList-file and then stores it somewhere local, and it only reads the file if the HKCU-key "CurrentVersion" is lower then the version in the XML-file. However I can't find any documentation which says that this is the way IEEM works so I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this.

An .xml file includes two parts, one is <emie> tag and another is Version number, the number must be incremented with each version of the Enterprise Mode site list, letting Internet Explorer know whether the list is new.each time Internet Explorer 11 starts, it compares your site list version to the stored version number. If your file has a higher number, the newer version is loaded.

You can see this reference link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dn640696.aspx

Yolanda Zhu

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

i have the same Problem. 

On first rds-login, the websites where opened in enterprise mode.

After logoff and direct log back on the Windows Server 2012 R2  the defined Sites are opening in Standard Mode.

The SiteList entry in HKCU exists and is right.

Any Idea how to solve it?

regards 

Michael

Sunday, May 18, 2014 1:30 PM
  • It feels like IEEM reads the SiteList-file and then stores it somewhere local, and it only reads the file if the HKCU-key "CurrentVersion" is lower then the version in the XML-file. However I can't find any documentation which says that this is the way IEEM works so I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this.

An .xml file includes two parts, one is <emie> tag and another is Version number, the number must be incremented with each version of the Enterprise Mode site list, letting Internet Explorer know whether the list is new.each time Internet Explorer 11 starts, it compares your site list version to the stored version number. If your file has a higher number, the newer version is loaded.

You can see this reference link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dn640696.aspx

Yolanda Zhu

Hi Yolanda,

I've allready read that reference link and understand how the registry-entry is used. The problem is that it is not clear where IE-EM stores its sitelist data. We need someone to clarify this so that we can be able to that data to the centrally-stored profile to make sure that the settings roam between sessions.

A workaround is to have a policy that removes the "CurrentVersion"-key upon logon and then it will be recreated 65 seconds after IE starts but that is not a very nice workaround.

Regards

Jonas

• Edited by Jonas_Bson Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:39 PM mixed up reg-keys
    Monday, May 19, 2014 10:51 AM
  • HI together,

I've fixed my problem by deleting the CurrentVersion-Key on Logon (Script).

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode\CurrentVersion

Now all defined Sites are loading in Enterprise Mode directly when ie 11 is open.

Hope it's helpful.

Regards

Michael

• Proposed as answer by Fabiman1968 Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jonas_Bson Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:23 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 2:55 PM
  • HI together,

I've fixed my problem by deleting the CurrentVersion-Key on Logon (Script).

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode\CurrentVersion

Now all defined Sites are loading in Enterprise Mode directly when ie 11 is open.

Hope it's helpful.

Regards

Michael

Hi,

That is the workaround i've been thinking of also. However it would be nicer if we were able to sync the settings between sessions instead of having them re-apply every time IE11 (65 seconds after) is opened after session has been initiated.

Regards

Jonas

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:41 PM
  • The local version of this file is stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\xxxx. The AppData\Local part never will (and should) be stored in the roaming profile. So with each logoff the information will be lost. And as long as there is no newer version of the file, it won't be reloaded from central store.

The question is, why Microsoft chose to store this file in the Temporary Internet Files folder. It would be much easier for an enterprise, if it was stored in the roaming profiles part. Particularly it is called ENTERPRISE MODE. So it will eventually be a pain to many admins!

The workaround MichaelG1986 mentioned seems to be the best solution so far.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:38 PM
  • The local version of this file is stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\xxxx. The AppData\Local part never will (and should) be stored in the roaming profile. So with each logoff the information will be lost. And as long as there is no newer version of the file, it won't be reloaded from central store.

The question is, why Microsoft chose to store this file in the Temporary Internet Files folder. It would be much easier for an enterprise, if it was stored in the roaming profiles part. Particularly it is called ENTERPRISE MODE. So it will eventually be a pain to many admins!

Ok thats interesting.

I have a case opened with Microsoft regarding this and I'm eagerly waiting for a reply why it was designed this way.

Regards

Jonas

Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Hi Jonas

I am highly interested in the answer you will get from Microsoft. Please post it here.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:34 AM
  • Hi Jonas

I am also highly interested in the answer you will get from Microsoft. Please post it here.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:22 AM

Ok thats interesting.

I have a case opened with Microsoft regarding this and I'm eagerly waiting for a reply why it was designed this way.

Regards

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

any update from Microsoft regarding this?

Thanks

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Banged my head against a wall today for 3 hours until I found this post-- anyone have an update from Microsoft yet? I'd rather not implement an addition to our logon script, but if that's what I have to do...

JMHahn

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:45 PM
  • Was there ever an answer from Microsoft on this? I'm running Citrix XenApp 6.5 with Citrix Profile Management on Server 2008 R2. Same issue with IE11.

The list is applied at first logon and then never again.

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Hello,

I am also looking for the "local" site list xml file -name and exact location- to ensure it is synched with the central xml site.

The following path is referenced for the location of the local xml copy "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\xxxx" but can you provide more detail of the random xxxx folder name  e.g., will it be dated with the time and date when IE was launched last?   What about the exact name of the file located within the XXX random named folder?

When I search the whole drive for "site.xml" -which I am assuming it is the name being used- or search for a string that I know is part of the central xml file, I get no hit and the local file remains in a unknown location..

Has someone ACTUALLY gotten a hold of the local xml file and opened it? 

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks, Hijue

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:27 PM
  • So, we now know where the central xml file is located which is great.

But what about when a user enables Enterprise Mode on a site not included on the list. While the central site xml is not updated the machine will "remember" the additional sites added that are not on the central site xml.

The question is, where -and what is the name of the xml file, if a file- is the additional information held?

Does someone has an idea?

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply. MS gave me the standard BS-answer, they are aware of this issue but this is how IE11-EM is designed and it will not change. I guess you should only implement IE11-EM in an enviroment with only local profiles.

Quote from MS-engineer.

"

Hello Mr. Jonas,

Here is the best answer fit for our situation.

When Internet Explorer updates the sitelist, the entries from the sitelist.xml are imported into the internal cache-database. As the database itself is not roamed, those entries are lost as soon as the profile is deleted from the server.

The update mechanism of EMIE itself is also using the following registry-key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]

(REG_SZ)"CurrentVersion"

So in case this registry-key exists, it is concluded that a sitelist has already been imported, and the update-check for the sitelist itself is then scheduled for the next ~65 seconds.

When the next update check occurs, and the downloaded sitelist has the same version as the user has in registry, the xml is not imported into the cache-database.

In case, that the registry-key "CurrentVersion" below [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] does NOT exist, Internet Explorer downloads the sitelist.xml directly and imports it into the database, as this is a complete new configuration.

Therefore the deletion of the registry-key "CurrentVersion" below [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] enables the functionality for roaming profiles.

This is how the procedure is currently designed for the current version of Internet Explorer, and that this may change in a future update (although I am not aware of such a plan).

"

Regards

Jonas

• Marked as answer by Jonas_Bson Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Thanks Jonas for posting the anser Microsoft gave you. That's what I was afraid of. The IE-Team at M$ did not think of roaming profiles. And the did not talk about the invention they did with the other teams... :(

So the only way actually is to delete the reg-key via GPO on each logon. And to hope, the user doesn't open an affected site before 65 seconds (is this counted from login or from IE start?).

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Ye it is sad that the teams at MS are so extremly isolated. They do this all the time in all of their Products..

The 65 seconds are counted from IE start.

Regards

Jonas

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:09 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I added a vb script that runs nightly on the web server hosting the xml file. It increments the version number by 1 every night at 4AM. This is also a workaround option that doesn't require adding a reg deletion at logoff.

I have opened a ticket with MS on this myself and will let anyone know if I get any further.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:20 AM
  • I added a vb script that runs nightly on the web server hosting the xml file. It increments the version number by 1 every night at 4AM. This is also a workaround option that doesn't require adding a reg deletion at logoff.

Could you share your vb script? I'm no programmer.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:51 AM
  • Set xmlDoc = CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument")
    xmlDoc.async = False

xmlDoc.Load("sitelist.xml")
    Set singleNode = xmlDoc.selectSingleNode("//rules")

singleNode.attributes.getNamedItem("version").text = singleNode.attributes.getNamedItem("version").text + 1

xmlDoc.save "sitelist.xml"

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:42 PM
  • You're my hero. :)

Thanks a lot.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Hello Jonas,

I have a couple of questions that perhaps you can help me with.

1. You wrote: "When Internet Explorer updates the sitelist, the entries from the sitelist.xml are imported into the internal cache-database"  

Where exactly -and the name- is the "internal cache-database" is located?

2. This question has to do with the mix of "centrally managed site list" via xml file on web server, and the ability for users to enable other sites to use Enterprise Mode, sites not included in the centrally managed site list. As you know, if I add sites that are not on the centrally managed sites list, and the centrally managed site list gets updated, it trumps all local EM sites that have been added.

Say for example the central list contains 3 sites which are propagates to all IE11 machines. However, when users enable “additional web sites” not included in the centrally managed xml list, somewhere in the system there is information about these “additional sites”, whether it is another XML file or a registry entry I cannot tell yet. But we can tell this information exists somewhere locally because any additional site where EM is enabled for comes up in Enterprise Mode even though these sites are not part of the central list.

The intent is to be able to preserve users' additional EM sites. We know we can log those sites but that does not prevent the users' additional sites from being disabled when the central XML is updated and propagated.

Would you happen to know where this information is stored?

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:45 PM
  • @Hijue

1. This is quote from the MS-engineer that I had my case opened with.

2. Sorry no idea :(

Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Hello together,

we build a new XenDesktop 7.5 farm with Server 2012 R2 and Citrix Managed Roaming Profiles and we have the same trouble with the IE Enterprise Mode.

When we logon with our test-user for the firsttime, without existing roaming profile - the Enterprise Mode is working for the defined sites and the user could start it manually for all undefined sites.
    After logoff/logon it doesn't work anymore - not automatically and not manually.

We tried the above workaround - deleting the regkey with GPP - but that doesn't work. (the gpo works -  regkey get deleted)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode\CurrentVersion

We also tried to increment the version number by 1 in the xml file on the fileshare - that doesn't work too.(the regkey CurrentVersion is incremented by 1 - thats all)

Thursday, September 04, 2014 12:16 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing on a XenDesktop 7.6 non-persistent desktop.  Did you find a resoluiton?
    Friday, December 12, 2014 3:20 AM
  • I'm seeing the same thing on a XenDesktop 7.6 non-persistent desktop.  Did you find a resoluiton?

I got a ping today from the MS-engineer that they "will most likely" will change the way IE11 EM list works with roaming profiles in an upcoming CU.

I'll post here if I hear anything else regarding this change.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:05 PM
  • Great news, thanks for sharing with us.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:25 AM
  • I got a ping today from the MS-engineer that they "will most likely" will change the way IE11 EM list works with roaming profiles in an upcoming CU.

I'll post here if I hear anything else regarding this change.

YES PLEASE!

I'm eager to get this solved too.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:47 AM
  • Hi Jonas,

any update regarding this?

Thanks

Monday, February 23, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Hi Jonas,

any update regarding this?

Thanks

No update yet, I pinged my Contact at Microsoft today and asked him if he had any updates regarding this.

Regards

Jonas

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Hi, this should be fixed in the IE cumulative update today evening. We had a bug open and we changed the behavior.

Unfortunatly there is no KB available yet, I will share it when it is ready.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hi, this should be fixed in the IE cumulative update today evening. We had a bug open and we changed the behavior.

Unfortunatly there is no KB available yet, I will share it when it is ready.

It would be great news if this really should be solved by now! Love to hear from you whether it will work now with roaming profiles or not.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:12 PM
  • KB is online now: KB article
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:08 AM
  • I now can confirm it is working with roaming profiles on terminal servers. Tested it successfully.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Using XenDesktop this is still not working.

Here is what I've done to troubleshoot this: 1) Install the May IE Cum Patch, 2) Delete HKCU\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode 3) Delete the folder starting with "Emie" in the user's AppData\Local Folder.

When IE comes up, "Enterprise Mode" is in the Tools menu, but clicking on it does nothing. the three "Emie" folders return to the user's AppData\Local folder, but the Reg key does not return.

Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 04, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Just a longshot (it was a long time since i worked with IE EM, we decided to go another way since IE EM was not supported for roaming profiles at that time). But if i recall correctly you had to wait 36 seconds after IE started to be able to use the EM-button in tools menu, this was some fixed time which you can find in MSDN. Maybe this i the issue you are having?
    Friday, June 05, 2015 11:24 AM