none
Setting up IE11 to open links in new tab RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 8.1 and IE11. All I want is for my PC to open a new tab when I click on a link. I have read the questions and answers in the forum [from 2010!]; and yes, I KNOW I can right click to do it but that is awkward with my touchpad. I could do it on my old PC, but apparently that functionality is now gone? I hope you can tell me about some workaround, otherwise I will have to change browsers [which I definitely do NOT want to do].

Help!

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:45 AM

Answers

• You are saying that my IE links are supposed to open in the same tab?

Yes, that's the default behavior when clicking on a link in an existing tab or windows - despite the fact that links opened in a new tab on your old computer.

<EDIT>
    If...

• IE Tools | Internet Options [Alt+T+O] | General | Tabs (button) | When a pop-up is encountered | Always open pop-ups in a new tab <=this option

...is checked/enabled, do your links open in a new tab?
    </EDIT>

Any chance you used a different mouse on your old computer, one with a middle button?

Not that it'd have anything to do with the behavior but may I ask what anti-virus application was installed before you installed the Norton application in June 2014, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed the Norton application?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, October 27, 2014 11:06 PM

All replies

• What links, where (e.g., on a webpage; in an email)?

What happens when you click on such link now (e.g., linked page opens in a new IE window; linked page opens in the current IE tab)?

Has a Norton application and/or a McAfee application ever been installed?

Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial (PICK ONE) come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?

=========================================
    You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in these forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:34 PM
  • Hi,

Did you mean this option in IE 11?

Tools\Internet Options\General\Tabs, then change the tab settings as you want

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 24, 2014 2:35 AM
  • My issue is specifically with opening links in IE which I guess I didn't make clear [links from other apps open in new windows]. When I click on a link in IE, it opens the page in the same tab [overlaying it, if you will].
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:54 PM
  • My settings are just like what you've shown, and that works fine. But it doesn't appear to apply to IE.  The setting refers to "opening links from other programs" which I interpret to mean links found anywhere except on IE [email, Word, pdf's, etc.] Links I click on there open in new windows.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Sorry - forgot to answer all of your questions. I have Norton installed but honestly, I can't remember if it came on my PC or not. I want to say I had 30 days free?? Anyway, that is what is running on it now.
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:03 PM
  • When I click on a link in IE, [the linked page opens] in the same tab.

I'm afraid that's what's supposed to happen - and IE on your "old PC" should have worked that way, too.

Tell me something: If you right-click on the link and select "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window," does the linked page load in the new tab/window or is the new tab/window blank or empty?

How long has a Norton application been installed on the computer?

Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browsers installed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DISCUSSION: A lot depends on how the link is "constructed." Here is a link that should open in a new tab or window and here is a link that should open in the current tab. [Both links point to Google.]

Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:51 PM
  • Mr. Bear, I really appreciate that you're taking time to answer my questions, but unfortunately your first sentence confuses the heck out of me! :o(

You are saying that my IE links are supposed to open in the same tab?? 

I am not doubting your expertise as an MS MVP, but I DO know that on my old PC [running an earlier IE version] I was able to open links from the web into new tabs without the right-click business; I specifically set it up to do so. Really, really!

Judging from the number of other users who have asked my same question, I'm not the only one, right?

Re. your questions:

• If you right-click on the link and select "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window," does the linked page load in the new tab/window or is the new tab/window blank or empty? The linked page is properly loaded, not blank.
    • How long has a Norton application been installed on the computer?Since June of this year. I bought the PC new in December 2013.
    • Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browsers installed? No. I’ve “grown up” with IE; I don’t trust Google [Chrome]; and I have never had a need to check out Firefox.
    • DISCUSSION: A lot depends on how the link is "constructed."
      • Here is a link that should open in a new tab or window [it correctly opened in a new window]
      • here is a link that should open in the current tab. [it correctly opened in the current tab]

[Both links point to Google.]

Monday, October 27, 2014 9:54 PM
  • You are saying that my IE links are supposed to open in the same tab?

Yes, that's the default behavior when clicking on a link in an existing tab or windows - despite the fact that links opened in a new tab on your old computer.

<EDIT>
    If...

• IE Tools | Internet Options [Alt+T+O] | General | Tabs (button) | When a pop-up is encountered | Always open pop-ups in a new tab <=this option

...is checked/enabled, do your links open in a new tab?
    </EDIT>

Any chance you used a different mouse on your old computer, one with a middle button?

Not that it'd have anything to do with the behavior but may I ask what anti-virus application was installed before you installed the Norton application in June 2014, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed the Norton application?

Monday, October 27, 2014 11:06 PM
  • DO know that on my old PC [running an earlier IE version] I was able to open links from the web into new tabs without the right-click business; I specifically set it up to do so.

That is still possible on some sites, mostly search providers such as BING and Google.  Note, though, that that is a feature of the sites themselves, not something that you can cause using just the browser.  I wish it could be so otherwise!  It even was once possible on the Microsoft Search too but that feature has apparently been removed.  I miss it.  Now that means with it I need to remember to use Middle-click every time I want to use a link from its results lists and I frequently forget to do that.

You may be thinking of a really old option for Desktop shortcuts.  Before there were tabs we had the option to open Desktop shortcuts in a new window or in an existing window.  Since tabs were created that evolved to opening links from other programs in a new tab or an existing tab, as you were shown.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:04 PM
    Answerer