Logon as a different user RRS feed

• Question

• I believe I am dealing with a permissions issue for a SSRS Report. How can I logon as a specific user with a password and check to see if it is indeed a permissions issue for executing a new SQL Server Stored Procedure that we have created? We use a generic logon "SSRS_Dev" and I do know the password for that account. I just would like to try and sign-on as that account and attempt to execute our new SQL Server Stored Procedure within a script.

Thanks for your review and am hopeful for a reply and some insight if possible.

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• My preferred approach is to create a user called ReportUser for the source data.  This user has minimal rights to the data.

Each datasource in SSRS uses this account, so user A and user B should be getting the same results.

I also like to have a TestUser account that has the same basic AD configuration as the typical user.  You can log into a terminal services machine with that account and see what happens when using SSRS.  If you're curious about what a specific user sees you can login to the TS machine (assuming that have their password) or can what watch them login via your favorite screen sharing software.  You can also can also change the AD permissions of TestUser to match the user having problems.

I'm focusing on SSRS issues because that's where the problem usually lives.  SSRS tends to be more obstructionist than SQL Server its self.

Monday, January 25, 2016 5:11 PM
  • If you have a role, add users to the role and grant execute permission to that specific role. So that users that belong to that role can execute the sp.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 11:30 PM
  • How can I logon as a specific user with a password

Hello,

For this you can use the Runas command to start a browser with different credentials then your current ones.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:06 AM