none
SharePoint 2013 contribute permission allows editing of page RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have sites that I want users to have access to add list items, documents, tasks and etc.  If I give the users contribute or edit permission it also allows them to be able to edit the page.  I need the integrity of the page to stay intact as originally designed.  I can break the inheritance at the page level to make it work correctly but I want to avoid having to do this as it becomes more maintenance.  In short I need the users to be able to interact with all of the sites lists/libraries without the ability to make modifications to the pages themselves.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Chip

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:22 PM

Answers

• How about have a unique permission setup for Site Pages library (doc library level)? That way all your site pages are secured from being modified.

I hope this helps

James

Please mark as Answered if it helped you
    James Tsai | SharePoint Consultant | MCPD,MCTS | www.jamestsai.net

• Marked as answer by CSjule Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:46 PM
  • If you want user to give edit permission for other list/libraries and not site pages, in that case, as you mentioned break inheritance at page level is one possible way.

And other way as mentioned by James, you can give unique permission to pages library of the site to make it secure from being modified.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:50 PM

All replies

• How about have a unique permission setup for Site Pages library (doc library level)? That way all your site pages are secured from being modified.

I hope this helps

James

Please mark as Answered if it helped you
    James Tsai | SharePoint Consultant | MCPD,MCTS | www.jamestsai.net

• Marked as answer by CSjule Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Few more options:

1. You create a custom permission level, under site permission remove "Add and Customize Pages" and other few permissions. And create custom SharePoint group and provide that group permission level as mentioned above to the site. 

2. Remove "Add and Customize Pages" permission from contribute permission level. but this will impact all the contributors.

Dhaval.A.Patel

• Edited by PatelD Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:07 PM font size change
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:06 PM
  • OOTB Contribute permission doesn't include "Add and Customize Pages". So need to remove it. Instead remove "Edit Items" permission level under List Permission Section at Permission Level Page: http://serveranme/_layouts/editrole.aspx?role=Contribute

I think by removing Edit Items from Contribute Permission will serve your purpose. If you don't want to modify OOTB permission then create custom permission set same as Contribute permissions expect Edit Items permission.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but if I remove edit then they can also no longer edit the documents in the library or edit items in a list.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:12 PM
  • If you want user to give edit permission for other list/libraries and not site pages, in that case, as you mentioned break inheritance at page level is one possible way.

And other way as mentioned by James, you can give unique permission to pages library of the site to make it secure from being modified.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:50 PM
  • James,

Thank you for your response.  I will be implementing this.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:13 PM
  • We have the same problem but why when i disable the edit option the users cant reply on news feeds.

Monday, December 9, 2013 3:30 AM
  • I'm facing the same issue, that I dont want Users with "edit" rights to be able to edit or modify the page layout. How exactly can I give unique permissions to a page library without breaking the inheritance, because this will mean much work.
    • Edited by IncJ Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi

I am doing some pre-live implementation testing and this issue has arisen.  I had initially tet inherited site permissions on Team site pages since this easily done on site creation

Looking at the permissions SharePoint 2013 Site and List Permissions  Contribute and Edit have the side effect we have seen whereby my users can customise Web Part pages, since these a ultimately list items - although this definitely a benefit later on once the users are trained - bring on those approved  world cup results apps!

I guess we need do as suggested and break permissions inheritance

/Pages

/SitePages

/_layouts/masterpage/   already has unique permissions however you need to go and remove and stray users or groups with Edit or Contribute permissions - this should deal with stopping normal users for touching your precious  page layouts mentioned above   

As aside I am looking at automating with either a site template or the new client side provisioning.  

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:10 AM