Best Approach to Decommission the Public Folders in Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Exchange 2013 CU22.

I want to decommission public folders, please suggest the best possible way to decommission the public folders considering below points.

1. We have multiple PF including mail enabled & non mail enabled - How can we fetch the owner email ID, so that we can send a communication to the owners about the decommison so that we can get details which folders are important or their data is required or can be trashed.

2. Approach to convert some of the PF to Shared mailbox - what should be the approach with & without a third party tool ?

Thanks
    S Singh

• Edited by SSingh11 Sunday, June 21, 2020 7:28 AM
    Sunday, June 21, 2020 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi S Singh,

Here are some suggestions for you.

1. Do you mean you want to know email addresses of mail-enabled public folders?

If so, you can use the following command to check:

Get-MailPublicFolder|fl Alias,Identity,EmailAddresses

2. In general, we cannot convert the mailbox type from PF to shared mailbox directly. We can export public folder content into .pst files, create a new shared mailbox, then import items into shared mailbox.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2020 2:56 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your response.

for 1st point - I need to fetch the email ID of owners of the public folder. (I have the email IDs of Public Folders). Fow owners - it is showing me the display name only.

for 2nd point - There are thousands of Public Folders & it is not feasable to export all to PST files manually, is there any other approach may be using some script or any third party tool.

Thanks
    S Singh

• Edited by SSingh11 Monday, June 22, 2020 9:18 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2020 9:14 AM
  • For 1st point:

You can try this command to check the email address for the user who has the Owner permission:

Get-PublicFolder -Recurse|Get-PublicFolderClientPermission |where {$_.AccessRights -eq "owner"}

(Get-PublicFolder -Recurse|Get-PublicFolderClientPermission |where {$_.AccessRights -eq "owner"}).user.DisplayName | Get-Mailbox |select name, PrimarySmtpAddress

For 2nd point:

Since no existing cmdlets are supported to export public folders to pst files, we have to use EWS to export with a script, and it involves Exchange development. Here is a script for your reference: Export Exchange public folder to PST from PowerShell.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Yes, a third-party tool is also an option. However, we cannot provide any third-party tool here, since we cannot guarantee the quality, safety, or suitability of these software. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:16 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. 

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 5:19 AM