Search result for different language. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have configured search result web part on a page in SharePoint 2013 environment. 

I have two users user1 with language as English and user2 with language as Swedish.

When I search query "test" using above user accounts I get different results in my search. Could you please help me with this I want results to be same for both users or can you please explain this behavior of SharePoint search.

Thanks in advance.  

Akash.

• Edited by AkashKale Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:44 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi AkashKale,

It is the expected behavior that the search results of the different languages are different when searching in different language.

The cause of the behavior is Query Language. The Query language is the language submitted to web sites.

The different language will use different methods to match the characters of the keywords and analysis the search results. So, it will display the different search results for different language.

In SharePoint 2013 the search results webpart by default uses the client browser language for showing search results, word trimming, stemming etc.

To provide the same search results for all users independent from their client browser language is to set the language server-side within the search results webpart.

There is a hidden property called DataProviderJSON in the search results webpart.

One of the values of this property is called FallbackLanguage which by default is set to -1.

This value is the key for configuring the search results webpart to not use the client browser language. Instead of -1 you can set the value to the specific locale id which you would like to use for the search results. E.g. for English user 1033 for German use 1031.

To change this value, you have to export the webpart from the search result page in the search center and open the .webpart file with a texteditor.

After changing the value just import the webpart again on the search results page in SharePoint.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi AkashKale,

It is the expected behavior that the search results of the different languages are different when searching in different language.

The cause of the behavior is Query Language. The Query language is the language submitted to web sites.

The different language will use different methods to match the characters of the keywords and analysis the search results. So, it will display the different search results for different language.

In SharePoint 2013 the search results webpart by default uses the client browser language for showing search results, word trimming, stemming etc.

To provide the same search results for all users independent from their client browser language is to set the language server-side within the search results webpart.

There is a hidden property called DataProviderJSON in the search results webpart.

One of the values of this property is called FallbackLanguage which by default is set to -1.

This value is the key for configuring the search results webpart to not use the client browser language. Instead of -1 you can set the value to the specific locale id which you would like to use for the search results. E.g. for English user 1033 for German use 1031.

To change this value, you have to export the webpart from the search result page in the search center and open the .webpart file with a texteditor.

After changing the value just import the webpart again on the search results page in SharePoint.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:03 AM
  • Hi AkashKale,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, April 16, 2018 1:17 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for answer.

I have one more query regarding search if you could help me with that as well. 

My search result is showing pages where search query matches results from left navigation of the page.

E.g. if I search for query "NewText" it will show all pages where there is a link named "NewText" in left navigation of the page and these pages do not have "NewText" anywhere in page content.

Could you please explain this?

Regards,

Akash 

Monday, April 16, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Hi AkashKale,

To troubleshoot the issue, you could reset index and run a full crawl in the search service application.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:51 AM