Logon to on-premise OneDrive (sharepoint) trhough skype for businesss RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i have a full on-premise enviroment, whitch includes exchange 2016 sharepoint 2019 and skype for business 2019 servers.I succecfully created in my sharepoint the user profile service application, and configured mysite etc. So the ,,on premise" onedrive is now available in my enviroment.  When the users click on the onedrive icon in sharepoint they can reach their own library and they can syncronise their data with onedrive for business client. The problem is the folowing: in the skype for business client, the function called ,,Co-Author office document", does not work. When i click on it, an authenticaton window is pops up, where i can sign in to O365. Is there a possible way to sign in my onprem onedrive here, or this function is not even usable in a full on-premise enviroment.

• Edited by papaand Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:10 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi papaand,

In fact, the co-author feature is realized by SharePoint server in on-premises environment. It is not related to OneDrive.

For more information about this feature, please refer to this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/governance/co-authoring-overview.

This forum has a new home on Microsoft Q&Anow and will be migrated soon. We highly recommend you register the Microsoft Q&A Platform to continue the discussion with us out there.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Skype for Business forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, August 14, 2020 6:37 AM
  • Hi Sharon, 

Thank you for your answer! These functions are already working in sharepoint, the users can co-authoring the documents using office webapps, if they opens the documents from sharepoint directly. The problem is, when they try to use the skype client co-authoring functionality, the skype client try to use onedrive (try to logon o365), and the clinet does not know there a working on-premise onedrieve  in this enviroment. 

Friday, August 14, 2020 7:35 AM
  • Hi papaand,

I have a guess.

According to the official document, Skype for Business needs a valid http:// path to the Document Management Server. When you use the on-premises SharePoint, it only points to the content database. It seems the cause of this issue.

For more details, please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/office/co-author-in-a-skype-for-business-meeting-or-conversation-d495bcb4-6f53-4e59-8e55-a0ae58a1f087?ui=en-us&rs=en-ie&ad=ie#:~:text=Co-author%20in%20a%20meeting.%20Once%20everyone%27s%20in%20the,choose%20something%20from%20your%20OneDrive%20for%20Business%20folder.

This forum has a new home on Microsoft Q&Anow and will be migrated soon. We highly recommend you register the Microsoft Q&A Platform to continue the discussion with us out there.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Skype for Business forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

Monday, August 17, 2020 9:51 AM
  • Hi papaand,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

This forum has a new home on Microsoft Q&Anow and will be migrated soon. We highly recommend you register the Microsoft Q&A Platform to continue the discussion with us out there.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 8:32 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

sorry, for the late answer. In an on-premise enviroment there is a valid https// path to. You can reach the office web apps and the sharepoint trough walid https adresses. The problem is the following.: when i try to use co-authoring function in skype there are no any option where i can selecect a seconder login place, i can logon only to o365. if a document are open from sharepoint or onedrive (onedrive are also a document librtary in sharepoint when i use it on-premise) the co-authoring function are working well.  

for the late answer
    Tuesday, August 25, 2020 8:35 AM
  • Hi papaand,

According to the official document, if you want to use co-author in a Skype for Business meeting or conversation, the following items are needed:

• Microsoft 365 with the Skype for Business 2016 (or later version) desktop
    • OneDrive for Business
    • Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint or other Office file that you want to edit (this file must reside on your OneDrive for Business site).

It seems the reason why you need to logon to Office 365.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, August 27, 2020 7:35 AM