none
Installing Chrome browser on a Windows 7 IE 11 computer RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me with the installation of the Chrome browser on a Windows 7 SP1 with Internet Explorer desktop computer? I would like to try it but a year or so ago I installed Chrome and I had an awful time with my computer. It really slowed down and had mouse lag. I could not figure out what was wrong so I uninstalled Chrome and it returned to normal. After the fact I found out that a couple of the, checked by default, settings in Chrome were PROBABLY the problem. The two settings enabled by default are under Chrome>Settings>System> “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed”, and also “Use hardware acceleration when available”.    two of the setting that are enabled by default. They are under Chrome>Settings>System> Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed. and also Use Hardware acceleration when available.  two of the setting that are enabled by default. They are under Chrome>Settings>System> Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed. and also Use Hardware acceleration when available. two of the setting that are enabled by default. They are under Chrome>Settings>System> Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed. and also Use Hardware acceleration when available.  However I never reinstalled Chrome. I am suffering with IE 11. I need an updated browser without installing Windows 10 and Edge. Has anyone had the same experience installing Chrome? Thank you, TomS

Sunday, August 5, 2018 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you forgot... always check if Chrome is your default web browser. That setting hijacks other windows/browser settings. Chrome comes in flavors. You want a portable version that does not include unwanted features.

IF you are a website developer, you will also need to configure your browsers to use the same defaults for presentation and typography.

You can sign-up for the managed enterprise versions of chromium from enterprise.google.com.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:05 AM