none
"http://www.meetup.com" Freezes IE 11 RRS feed

• Question

• On IE 11, trying to access http://www.meetup.com puts my system, Windows 8.1 with the latest updates, in a non-responsive state requiring forced reboot. Not sure how to diagnose the problem since the system freezes up. Up to just recently, everything, the site and machine were response. Was able to use my Windows 8.1 Phone IE with no problems. Any ideas.

Marc

Saturday, March 28, 2015 3:08 AM

All replies

• On IE 11, trying to access http://www.meetup.com puts my system, Windows 8.1 with the latest updates, in a non-responsive state requiring forced reboot.

Just opening that URL?  The only odd thing that happens to me when trying is that it made a subsequent submit from the launching tab not to quote properly.  This is a Ctrl-k clone from that tab, so obviously not in the same dire state that you are describing.

Now to see if this will post properly because I have been having trouble doing that today.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 28, 2015 5:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Robert for the reply. Just created a bug report with Meetup technical support. Really weird. Been on the web from the begin and have never experienced anything like this. Funny thing is that Firefox works just fine.

Marc

Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:01 AM
  • Hi AlaskanRogue,

I have tried to open the URL as you posted from my Windows 8.1 machine and I didn`t get the symptom as you descripted .
    Please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot :
    1.Clear the temporarily files cache to have a check .
    Tools\Safety\Delete Browsing History
    2.To verify whether it is caused by add-ons ,we can open the Internet Explorer 11 without add-ons to have a check .
    To open the Internet Explorer 11 without add-ons :run “iexplore.exe -extoff”.
    If it is caused by the add-ons ,we can enable the add-ons one by one to navigate the culprit.
    3.If the issue persists ,reset the Internet Explorer 11 to have a check if it is possible.
    "Up to just recently, everything, the site and machine were response"
    Considering it occurred recently , we can perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point to have a check .

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 30, 2015 6:06 AM
  • Meipo,

Thanks for the suggestions. I performed all three with no success.

Yesterday, I was on the IRS site and encountered a similar scenario trying to look at a W9 form online. I downloaded the file and encounter the same problem using just Reader. I thought for a while it was a problem with Adobe Reader after I saw a forum entry about someone trying to use forms on the Canadian IRS site which was resolved by reinstalling Reader. I reinstalled it and Air. Tested against Meetup.com and froze again. I just tried to access Facebook with the same results, the system froze.

What's next? Contact MS Support directly?

Marc

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:13 PM
  • Took another approach, and tried to access meetup.com in Safe Mode with Networking; no success.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:37 AM
  •  tried to access meetup.com in Safe Mode with Networking; no success.

That implies that something that you have installed and load in that mode is a cause.  You can use AutoRuns by SysInternals (available from TechNet) to see what that might be.  That should reduce the amount of checking that you would need to do in either mode.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Marc,

"Up to just recently, everything, the site and machine were response"

Have you made ant modifications to the machine (install any third party software ?)?Have you tried to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous point to have a check?

"Yesterday, I was on the IRS site and encountered a similar scenario trying to look at a W9 form online."
    So the issue will occur with other websites ,too?

When the system hang ,we can try to open the task manager to check any suspicious process (Ctrl +Alt+Delete).

Please also check the Event Viewer for any error messages to troubelshoot this issue
    Event Viewer \Windows Logs \Application ,System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:03 AM
  • I have been offline traveling for the past week. Before leaving, after several near disasters trying to restore my system to a previous state, I left in the same state of not being to navigate to meetup.com without locking up my system. I am lucky that I didn't lock it up while RDCing to it when I was traveling. (I made arrangements for someone to reboot it if necessary.) 

I finally did a full scan with Defender with the newest virus definitions loaded. Nothing showed up.

I downloaded AutoRuns by SysInternals and tried it. Nothing stands out. Great app!

One note though: Skype crashes about a minute after starting under autoload. This started happening about the same time as this other problem appeared.

Sent the W9 PDF to Adobe support, but haven't heard back from them.

Other ideas?

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:02 PM
  • Hi AlaskanRogue,

"One note though: Skype crashes about a minute after starting under autoload. This started happening about the same time as this other problem appeared."

Have you tried to forbid the Skype from autoloading to have a check ?

Best regards

Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Found another site, hotwire.com, that consistently results in a system freeze up when accessing the results of a flight search. This leads me to think that the culprit is some type of insert on the pages of the two sites that impacts IE which causes the system failure.

What is interesting is when using Firefox to access those sites, the system is not impacted.

Also interesting is the mouse "wait" icon is present when the freeze occurs.

I plan to use Firefox to grab the source from the two pages and compare contents to see if I can determine the commonality.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hi AlaskanRogue,

Thanks for updating .

Will the system freeze every time we open the specific website or it occurred randomly ?

We could open the task manager to check for any suspect process when the system is freezing (Ctrl+Alt+Delete).

Best regards

Friday, April 10, 2015 3:23 AM