Internet explorer doesn't work properly

Question

• My internet explorer 8.0 is acting really weird. If you opens a new window you can never be sure if it will work or not. Either it will just say "connecting" in the tab head and nothing else will happen, or it will work right away. If it stops at "connecting", you will not get it to work no matter wich site you try to access. You can't do anything but start a new window, or a new tab (the problem occurs both if you start a new window or a new tab) and hope it will work. If it does, it will continue to do so and you can surf without problem in that tab to the entire internet.
    There is also a problem with MSN, that I think is connected to this problem. Most of the times you can't log in to MSN Live messenger. You only get an error code: (i.e. 80191002)

I have searched the internet after a solution to this problem and some forums had a solution to the MSN error code. They said it could have something to do with some "autotuninglevel". In "cmd" you type netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled or restricted or enabled and it will solve the problem.
    Well, it does... sometimes, and only for a short while... I change between "restricted" and "disabled" to be able to log in to MSN.
    The problem with Internet is easy to handle, you just keep trying till you get a window that work and then you don't close it. As I said it will keep working. But it's not as easy with MSN.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and what the solution is?

/Arvus

edit: all other internet applications, (i.e. Skype, uTorrent, AVG antivirus and such) works just fine. Outlook, on the other hand, isn't working correctly either. Sometimes you can't open any pictures in the mails and then outlook mostly crashes. It's a little weird that all Microsoft programs has troubles and no other...
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 11:05 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by securityguy14 Monday, September 07, 2009 1:21 AM
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 12:53 AM
  • One possibility is that there's a connection problemwith your home page - the home page isn't loading properly or their web site is overloaded so you hang because of them.  Maybe you could try a different page (unless you're hooked on the one you're using).

It sounds to me like you're having a problem with your internet connection (which is why Outlook is affected but no other Office application) - perhaps it's intermittent.  This could be trouble with your ISP or it could be a problem with your router (if you're using one) or you're wiereless connector (again, if you're using one). You can test the speed of your connection at http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/.  Maybe you want to try this a couple of times, especially when the problem is manifesting frequently - you might be surprised to find how slow your system really is compared to what's advertised. This won't check your wireless connector (there's no good way to test that except to connect directly to it and see if it works better than when working wireless).

If you use uTorrent (notorious for this), you could have downloaded some type of virus or spyware that's affecting your system's performance - I hope you're using a good and updated antivirus and antispyware program. If not, then at least check your system at one of the vendor sites where they'll run free scans so you can at least see if you have a problem but you have to buy the software for the fixes. There's a good chance you're infected with something given your symptoms.

Finally, you might try to clean up some of the files on your system that might be affecting performance. In Internet Options on the Tool menu in IE8, check the browsing history settings and maybe you can delete some of these items that might have built up enough to cause problems. Many help desk techs just do this without even asking though I'd rather not lose some things and prefer to delete only some things (unless I have no other choice because nothing else is solving the problem).

As far as messenger goes, here's a response I found on another forum addressing that error message:

I had this problem earlier today and now it is fixed. What I did was go to Add/Remove Programs (Start Menu -> Control Panel) and click on Change/Remove for Windows Live Essentials. When the Windows Live window pops up click on Repair and then continue. Then it asks you to restart your computer. After I did this it worked. If it doesn't work try removing instead of repairing and reinstalling.

Good luck.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hi Arvus,

Try the following methods to fix your problem,

If you got 80191002 error then there is a 100% chance that your computer has registry problems. You have to clean some registry files to fix the error.

If you are still facing problem,lets chat or email me at  mary.claire@live.com,so that i can do some advance troubleshooting.

Cheer's

Mary

No, actually that error doesnt have a thing to do with registry problems.  Arvus, have you just recently gone through any updates, windows updates, or have you manually updated any of the applications that your having a problem with?
    as far as the messenger error, that one that microsoft has already dealt with here http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!58178.entry?dir=Next&ph=5B410F7FD930829E!58884   and here is the recomendation for that    http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!13937.entry   and as far as the IE problems, try resetting everthing back to default and see if that helps it. in the interenet options, on the security tab, click "reset all zones to default level" then in the advanced tab. click "restore advanced settings" then on the first tab (general ) In the "tabs" section, click "settings" and then at the bottom "restore defaults" of course just like a lot of other related applications, one problem can be the cause of others, so you might want to try the fix that microsoft recommends and see if that takes care of any of the others first.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 5:51 AM
  • I am actually having this same problem with Internet Explorer.  I open up a link in a new tab and it just sits at "Connecting..." and never goes anywhere.

Things I have tried:

1. Tools|Internet Options|Advanced|Reset
    2. Open up CMD and run "regsvr32 actxprxy.dll" and reboot
    3. Remove Internet Explorer 8 from Programs and Features; Add it back in
    4. Open up IE8 without Addons

Nothing has seemed to fix this issue. Anyone else having this problem? FireFox seems to be just fine - I can open up new tabs without a hitch.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:49 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with IE8 running on Vista Ultimate.
    Fresh build and ran all updates through Windows Update.

Tried everything suggested as well as running regsrv.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:23 AM
  • I have that same "problem" on occasion and I usually find that it's affecting ALL the computers in my home network - meaning it's an ISP problem (or a router or wireless device problem).  I always try resetting the router and wireless device and that works some of the time.  It eventually goes away (the ISP fixes the problem at their end) and I'm back to working normally.  You could both be facing the same kind of thing - which there's little to do about except change your ISP (but they all have problems from time to time - some though more than others).  Of course, if Firefox is connecting just fine while you're experiencing this problem with IE then it probably isn't the ISP.

If you're not getting the answers you need here (and so far that seems to be mostly the case with the IE problem), I would suggest another forum also dedicated to IE problems: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads.  That set of forums is where I spend the majority of my time (though I do come here occasionally) and they have some good people posting there.  They might be able to help.  Be sure if you post there that you go over what you've already tried so you don't have to go through the learning process all over again.

Good luck!
    Lorien - One - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+
    Monday, October 05, 2009 12:08 PM