none
Internet Explorer start menu icon on Windows 2012 R2 RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

For every new user on Windows 2012 R2 remote desktop server the Internet Explorer shortcut icon in Start Menu opens Microsoft Edge browser.

I unpin it from Start Menu, search for "iexplore" and pin in to Start Menu and Taskbar. The icon on the Taskbar opens Internet Explorer, but the icon in Start Menu opens Edge again.

There are no group policies applied to the server.

How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 1:37 AM

Answers

• IE is default already. Just have to enforce  "Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop" setting via group policy.
    • Marked as answer by digimonx Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:54 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:54 AM

All replies

• It appears that what looks like Edge is actually IE11 in "metro" view, and I can click the Page Tools button and choose "View in desktop", that will open the page in IE11 window that I am used to work with.

The question is how did this get changed and why, because on the other server that has all the same updates and settings IE icon in the start menu opens IE in desktop view, and that's what I want to happen on the server in question too.

Any ideas?

And I have to mention that when User Account Control is disabled, the IE icon in the Start Menu does not work complaining that UAC should be enabled.

What appears to be different is "Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop" checkbox on the Programs tab in Internet Options, and I have not clue why on one server its checked, and on the other server it is not...

• Edited by digimonx Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:14 PM Addition
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

I want to confirm that did the issue only occur on Windows 2012 R2? What about Windows client?

If yes, I suggest discussing it in our Windows server forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=Windowsserver

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, September 5, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Yes, on one of the Windows 2012 R2 servers. The clients are Windows 7.

I will probably just apply that IE setting by a group policy to users who login to that server.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:00 AM
  • It seems that we could try to set IE as default browser manually and check the result.

Make Internet Explorer your default browser:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17435/windows-internet-explorer-make-default-browser

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Friday, September 9, 2016 6:00 AM
  • IE is default already. Just have to enforce  "Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop" setting via group policy.
    • Marked as answer by digimonx Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:54 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:54 AM