Rule not moving already received items RRS feed

• Question

• I made a rule and chose "run now" and it doesn't seem that it applies to emails already in received. Just new emails. Is there a way to get a rule to apply and move all emails current and future from that sender to the specified folder? I'm using a web browser.
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi JBurtis,

Thanks for visiting our forum, here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client.

According to my tests, it seems that only O365 web mail support the "run now" feature and Outlook.com web mail not support it.

>> it doesn't seem that it applies to emails already in received. Just new emails.

Where did you save those already received emails? In inbox or other folders?

As I know, rules in Outlook web mail will only influence emails in the inbox and emails in other folders will not be affected. If those emails you want to move are not in inbox, I'm afraid that rules in web mail could not help and it is by design, we can not make changes to it. If possible, as a workaround, Outlook desktop client rules could help you achieve your requirement: Manage email messages by using rules.

If all these mentioned above is not your case, it is suggested for you to try other browsers and see if it works.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2020 3:09 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 12, 2020 7:36 AM
  • Hi JBurtis,

Agree with Jeff that it's suggested to create the inbox rule in Outlook client which allows you to choose Run this rule now on messages already in a certain folder:

This Outlook IT Pro Discussions Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Outlook IT Pro Discussions will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:41 AM