Unable to authenticate with Microsoft Authenticator RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to authenticate with the app. It gives me error "error communicating with server".

Steps
    I entered email on outlook.com
    Then in password screen I choose "use Microsoft authenticator app instead"
    Then I got notification on my phone to approve sign in by choosing the same number as displayed on screen.
    Then I choose the same number on my phone and hit approve.
    After that it gives error "error communicating with server".

Another issue is that it ask to enter lockscreen password multiple times even though I enter correct lock screen password or use fingerprint ( My Fingerprint working correctly in other apps and even lock screen password is correct )

Please fix this issue
    • Edited by John pugilist Saturday, August 18, 2018 10:16 AM Added more text
    Saturday, August 18, 2018 10:08 AM

All replies

• I get this same error. Totally frustrating! Did you ever find a fix?
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:52 AM
  • Android App user.  This was working. 

Now I request approval from my desktop app, then approve on the Authenticator app, then use my Android sign in pattern and I consistency get an error "error communicating with server".  This is true for my two personal accounts.  

The error would seem to be on the app side as this has occured over a fairly long period of time.  

Thanks... Rick

Monday, September 24, 2018 4:54 PM
  • I have a same problem in not able to sign in my hotmail using the app code. Please Microsoft try to solve the problem ASAP. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:47 AM
  • I have the same issue since months. Please MS, fix this!
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:22 AM
  • Okay, I fixed the issue for me. I deleted my Microsoft account in the Authenticator app and added it again, now it works as expected without any issues. I was just too afraid to try this in the past, because I didn't want to lock myself out of my Microsoft account.
    • Proposed as answer by Han Qiang Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:12 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:25 PM
  • I've reinstalled the app and still have no luck. I have a live.com account. I've tried removing and adding my account back as well. This is frustrating.

Aaron

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:10 PM
  • Anyone solved this? I am having the same problem. Funny it only happen to approval with already signed-in (so you choose Approve/Reject). It works well if you have to choose 1 of the 3 numbers.
    Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Mine hasn't worked for longer than I can recall... I think it may have worked briefly once upon a time... but, never mind that... every time upon entering the 1st # or Code given, as quickly as possible, w/out exception it will say, in nice red letters, "You have entered too many invalid attempts". And that's the end of that... trying again w/ another Code # just gives the same.

I keep trying occasionally, but, never will or never does work (see above).

Would be great to use it, but, alas...

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:28 AM
  • FIX FOUND for Android!

Symptoms: Unable to approve logins using the Authenticator app for Android (possibly iOS) / "error communicating with server" message when you try to approve a request.

I changed my screen lock settings earlier, which apparently requires that you "re-authorize the account" or "re-enable the account" in the Authenticator app (I don't remember exactly which one it was lol).

Go into the app, and there should be an option like "Re-authorize account" or "Re-enable account", I think I got the menu item when i clicked on the account or went to the settings area in the app.  (it isn't a complex app, if the option is there it shouldn't take long to find)

Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:08 PM
  • I confirm that  this was solution.  And I assume as stated elsewhere that it's because MS updated it's security.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:02 PM
  • All I ever get if & when trying to use it is this (see below) AND that is, actually, following the FIRST attempt.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Edited by Drew1903 Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:02 PM
    Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:02 PM
  • Has anyone ever got this to work? I'm just setting up a test Windows 10 VM and I thought, hey - I'm gain, I'll try using my Microsoft authenticator app with my existing Microsoft account: https://i.imgur.com/NmcJWc9.png

I get to this bit where it asks me to press this number on the app: https://i.imgur.com/Srd6Tpv.png

Which I do - I'm then asked to enter my screen unlock code on my Android PI phone. Or use my finger print. Neither method ever works...

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:25 PM
  • Just tried it, again.  This time a code was sent (to it - for signing into this web site) and had to be ok'd in the mobile app.  Tried twice, immediately, but, both times said code had expired, already!  Geeesh, already!

Why have this thing if it doesn't ever work??  Or could it ever work, MS?

Cheers,
    Drew

Friday, September 13, 2019 7:58 AM
  • I had the same error

To fix it I just opened the app, went to settings and enabled app lock (on IOS)

Hope this can help somebody

Monday, March 23, 2020 6:33 PM
  • I changed my authenticator settings to remove app lock. I did not have to reauthenticate, and I was able to use it again to login to onedrive on PC. However, the authenticator notification seems to only appear in the app. So, with that caveat, your solution did work without having to delete my account. Thanks.
    Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:42 PM