none
Adding trusted Sites for all users RRS feed

• Question

• Without GPOs is there a way I can add trusted sites to all users.  I know using the HKCU I can add the site information, but when I do the same under HKLM the entry is there but it doesn't appear in IE under trusted sites.

I'm running XP SP2/3 and IE7 I had wanted to write a script I could deploy via SCCM that would effect all users, I'd rather not do something with every user that logs on.

So I have the following, but it doesn't appear under Trusted Sites

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mytest.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mytest.org\pacs]
    "https"=dword:00000002

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

It seemed you misunderstood  the registry. The following sample shows the entries in a .reg file that are used to add the URL "http://www.msdn.microsoft.com" to the Trusted sites zone.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\microsoft.com]

@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\microsoft.com\www.msdn]

"http"=dword:00000002

For more information, please refer to the following link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537181(v=vs.85).aspx

http://nefaria.com/2009/10/adding-trusted-sites-for-ie-via-the-registry/

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Not to sound in poor humor, but it seems you misunderstood the question. The HKCU key in either Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\[Domains] or [EscDomains] (Enhanced Security Configuration being preferred) appears to successfully register the site as trusted for the user, but the same key in HKLM does not populate to all users, and thus new users on the machine will not have that trusted site. I have successfully recreated this issue while trying to do basically the same thing - setting a list of trusted sites for all users on a machine.

Running as an admin with UAC disabled on Windows 7 Ultimate w/ IE8, I can successfully apply the following registry script:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\mydomain.org]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\mydomain.org\portal]

I have verified that the keys are in place in HKLM, but upon actually visiting the site https://portal.mydomain.org, it is still listed as Internet. I have rebooted, no change. The same occurs if I add the domain to Domains, instead of EscDomains. Currently, the only method that appears to work is adding the sites to users individually, which obviously wastes everyone's time, and since the OP is trying to reach what appears to be a PACS viewer, I assume he is wasting a doctor's or radiologist's time, and they don't tend to be as friendly about it. Basically, the initial question still stands: How can we apply this trusted sites list to ALL USERS of the machine with one deployment through the registry and without employing group policy, and not to every user individually?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:14 PM
  • How about enabling enable Site to Zone Assignment List in group policy?

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/861857-adding-trusted-sites-all-users.html

L.S

• Proposed as answer by ChaseCooper Friday, April 27, 2012 9:42 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Indeed, that is my recommended route, but the OP has specified "without GPO's", and I agree that there are instances when GPO's can become an issue, especially when working with systems that may use a VPN, but are not a part of our domain. They need access to the software and have supplied valid credentials, but we don't want to pack their home system full of GPO's from our DC that are not applicable to their home (or other) environments. While these are indeed configurable, directly acting on the registry would be the preferred method here. Our limitations for this question are:

1) Not a GPO. Must apply directly to the registry or via some other method.

2) Must apply for all users. Applying each user's profile independently is not a viable option.

Just a note of curiosity: Shouldn't this question be marked as answered by the OP, not the ones answering the question?

Quote: Marked As Answer byNiki Han<abbr class="affil">Microsoft Contingent Staff</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Moderator</abbr>Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:06 AM

• Proposed as answer by simonbonbon33 Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hello,

I think that should work via adding an entry to

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\{NewDomainName}]

Best regards,

Juergen

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

Try to add  these four keys.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mytest.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mytest.org\pacs]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\mytest.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\mytest.org\pacs]

You can use a VB Script

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/f7edef6c-43ae-484e-85b9-7af62ab8b267

Similar Post

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/74bfea9b-8347-47ab-b6a5-a358bea7f8fb

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/add-one-url-to-intranet-zone-and-another-url-to-a-trusted-site-zone-through-gpo.aspx

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:01 AM
  • have a look :-

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2005/02/14/how-can-i-add-a-web-site-to-the-trusted-sites-zone.aspx

thanks

pranay.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:44 AM
  • I have done this for Win7 and it does not take effect for all users, is there something else required to make this work in Win7?
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:11 PM
  • I can confirm that it doesnt work with Windows 7. If I manually put the registry keys in HKCU it works, but not when they are put in HKLM. In Windows XP the same keys works under HKLM aswell as HKCU.

I'm in an environment not able to use GPO at this point. Is there any tip or solution to make this work using registry-keys?

...or is this maybe some other security setting that differs between Windows 7 and XP?

Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:46 PM
  • loading HKCU through the active setup will work for both 7 and Xp.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Hello,

I think that should work via adding an entry to

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\{NewDomainName}]

Best regards,

Juergen

This is close to what I did in a standalone environment, but the .DEFAULT key is not the key for all users -- it is the key for the SYSTEM user.  Instead, I created a batch file which mounts the 'new user' registry hive (NTUSER.DAT) into HKU, then added the ZoneMap setting to all users in HKU:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    @ECHO OFF SETLOCAL SET REG="%WINDIR%\system32\reg.exe" SET INTRANET_DOMAINS=contoso.local example.local SET TRUSTED_DOMAINS=microsoft.com example.com IF EXIST "%USERPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.DAT" SET NTUSER="%USERPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.DAT" IF EXIST "%USERPROFILE%\..\Default\NTUSER.DAT" SET NTUSER="%USERPROFILE%\..\Default\NTUSER.DAT" IF DEFINED PROGRAMFILES(x86) SET X64=TRUE ECHO Adding domains to Intranet Zone for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE FOR %%D IN (%INTRANET_DOMAINS%) DO ( ECHO -^> %%D %REG% add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f %REG% add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f IF DEFINED X64 %REG% add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f IF DEFINED X64 %REG% add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ) ECHO Adding domains to Trusted Zone for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE FOR %%D IN (%TRUSTED_DOMAINS%) DO ( ECHO -^> %%D %REG% add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f %REG% add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f ) IF DEFINED NTUSER ECHO Loading registry defaults for new user from %NTUSER% IF DEFINED NTUSER %REG% load HKU\.NTUSER %NTUSER% FOR /f "usebackq tokens=1,2 delims=_" %%A IN (`%REG% query HKU`) DO ( ECHO Adding domains to Intranet Zone for %%A_%%B FOR %%D IN (%INTRANET_DOMAINS%) DO ( ECHO -^> %%D %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f IF DEFINED X64 %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f IF DEFINED X64 %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ) ECHO Adding domains to Trusted Zone for %%A_%%B FOR %%D IN (%TRUSTED_DOMAINS%) DO ( ECHO -^> %%D %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f IF DEFINED X64 %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f IF DEFINED X64 %REG% add "%%A_%%B\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\%%D" /v * /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f ) ) IF DEFINED NTUSER ECHO Unloading new user registry defaults IF DEFINED NTUSER %REG% unload HKU\.NTUSER ENDLOCAL
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It only does top-level domains across all protocols, as it was all I needed, but it can be modified to do others if your batch coding is reasonable! 

Running the script will add *.contoso.local and *.example.local to Intranet Zone; and *.microsoft.com and
    *.example.com to Trusted Sites.  It adds it to HKLM and to every key under HKU, including NTUSER.DAT, which it loads from either C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT or C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT, depending on platform (where C:\Documents and Settings / C:\Users is derived from %USERPROFILE% environment variable).  I've had it working in WinXP and Win7, both x86 and x64 (although I've not tried non-English installs).

We use it to add our domain infrastructure sites to any standalone machines we need to create.

HTH

J.

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Thanks www.candc-uk.com , That script worked perfectly for me.  I really appreciate you sharing it, you made my day a lot easier.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Great script.  Saved me some time today, thank you very much.
    Monday, June 4, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Hello www.candc-uk.com!

I am having an issue after add this script on my Task Sequence. The sites are added correctly for all users, however if i try add a new trusted site, it is not saved.

You can enter them but if you OK out then go right back in and check trusted sites there are just the sites of the script.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I have the same problem with adding subsequent trusted sites and am trying to resolve it. I went through the script with a fine tooth comb and cannot figure out why it is causing this behavior. I successfully deployed Intranet Zone site and trusted site but now my users can't add anything else. I also manually entered site information and the sites will show up in IE but IE doesn't seem to pay any attention to the fast that the site is supposed to be trusted. These are the registry keys I entered the information for the new trusted sites into via REGEDIT but it doesn't help. I have users who are using ASP and without IE trusting the location the application doesn't work properly.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains\

I also attempted to add Trusted Sites through IE under an Admin account and this doesn't work either. It's as if that option is being overridden. I need to get this resolved quickly so any guidance would be great.

Thanks,

Chris Bolton

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Well I figured out the answer and the problem is related to the key ZoneMap. As soon as I removed ZoneMap  Keys from all of the locations where it was created and the problem went away. I think I am going to have to re-write the original script provided by CANDC and try and parse through the users and append the sites to the user's lists.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Awesome script, thanks alot!  I know this post is nearly a year old but that did exactly what I needed done.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 11:36 AM
  • This resulted in the relevant data being added to Trusted Sites, but then the sites subsequently failing to be seen as a Trusted site as it then asked for confirmation before downloading ANY data.

How easy is it to restore back to how it was before this was run?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Well I figured out the answer and the problem is related to the key ZoneMap. As soon as I removed ZoneMap  Keys from all of the locations where it was created and the problem went away. I think I am going to have to re-write the original script provided by CANDC and try and parse through the users and append the sites to the user's lists.

Can you elaborate on what keys was added that you removed specifically
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:56 PM
  • You have to switch to Machine Setting as oposed to User Managed Zones.

You can do so by creating this key and assigning it a value of 1

Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

DWORD 

"Security_HKLM_only"

and then you use 

"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\"

"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscRanges\"

"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\

USE THIS AS AN EXAMPLE

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
    strKeyPath1="Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
    strKeyPath2="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\Range1001"
    strKeyPath22="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscRanges\Range1001"
    strKeyPath3="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\"&sitename

Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _
       strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

objReg.CreateKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath1
     strValueName = "Security_HKLM_only"
     dwValue = 1
     objReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath1,strValueName,dwValue

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:01 AM
  • Excellent bat script from www.candc-uk.com. This allowed me to add a site to the local intranet zone for existing users and new users.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:08 PM
  • I have seen adding the url under  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains

for 64 bit OS works.

• Proposed as answer by David_NC_2013 Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:59 AM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Hi

that script helped too but there are other parameters linked to that that i d like to change.
    Sorry, my IE is in French so i m not sure of the translation..

I need to disable the 1st options "Detect automaticlt the intranet network" and to enable the 3 other checkboxes.

Any idea how to do that ?

thx in advance

To be clear, i d like to have that

http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-47-13-metablogapi/6431.image_5F00_thumb_5F00_57C62BD4.png

• Edited by raymondub Monday, December 14, 2015 3:02 PM further info
    Monday, December 14, 2015 2:46 PM
  • This was great work. However, I found a MUCH simpler way to accomplish this for ALL users on the server with a very simple command. Most people use the following path to make changes: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains

However the correct path to use that will import your settings for ALL users on the machine is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains

Instead of going from HKLM\Software\Microsoft, just go HKLM\Software\Policies. This reg key set works like a champ and gets the process done without having to create a whole script to accomplish.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:40 PM
  • I found a MUCH simpler way to accomplish this for ALL users on the server with a very simple command. Most people use the following path to make changes: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains

However the correct path to use that will import your settings for ALL users on the machine is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains

Instead of going from HKLM\Software\Microsoft, just go HKLM\Software\Policies. This reg key set works like a champ and gets the process done without having to create a whole script to accomplish.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:42 PM
  • Can you please provide an example. If I want to add like "*.msdn.com" in Trusted Host for all users.
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:59 PM
  • Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I used this script and am also now having the same problem others seem to be having. I cannot add any additional trusted sites and I also cannot delete trusted sites the normal way through internet options. Deleting the created keys from the registry removes them no problem but i still can't add any more. It looks like when i add a new site to trusted sites the key in the registry is not being generated correctly. Did anyone figure out what was causing this and how to get it corrected? Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Monday, September 24, 2018 6:00 PM
  • Hi sajaxom,

"The HKCU key in either Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\[Domains] or [EscDomains] (Enhanced Security Configuration being preferred) appears to successfully register the site as trusted for the user, but the same key in HKLM does not populate to all users,"

Correct.

"Running as an admin with UAC disabled on Windows 7 Ultimate w/ IE8,"

IE 8 is not longer supported. You should upgrade the machine to IE11.

"Basically, the initial question still stands: How can we apply this trusted sites list to ALL USERS of the machine with one deployment through the registry and without employing group policy, and not to every user individually?"

With GroupPolicy. Start>Run>GPEdit.msc. There are settings there to control which hosts are mapped to users security zone lists. If you are using domain joined workstations, GPO is how you control the configuration of workstations and users' profiles.

"Currently, the only method that appears to work is adding the sites to users individually, which obviously wastes everyone's time, and since the OP is trying to reach what appears to be a PACS viewer"

Your IE  settings may have disabled the PACS ActiveX control, or (most likely) the PACS viewer active x control only comes in a x86 version, …

Please go Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons

locate the PACS ActiveX control in the List, Is it enabled?

double-click the item to display its property sheet... there is a copy button there with which you can copy and paste its details back to this thread.

We would also need to know,

Is the website that hosts the view application (PACS viewer) on YOUR intranet (LAN) or is it an external website (portal).

Use the File>Properties menu in IE to determine which IE security zone the current host is mapped to.

If it is an external host (http://protal.gammaheaven.com ) you can map it to the Trusted zone, which by default allows x86 ActiveX controls and addons run in web pages.

If it is an internal host (http://196.... ) and is mapped to the IE Internet zone, it should automatically be mapped to the Intranet zone, though on the users workstation, then may have already added it to their Trusted Sites list.

The Bottom line....

We need to know details of the PACS ActiveX control, x86 and/or x64. Paste back with its copy.

The IE security zone that the portal website or the Intranet website is mapped to...

You should be using GPO only to manage the configuration of clients on your network (domain joined). At a pinch, you could then use regedit to create a reg file that you would then use to apply to the same registry hives on individual, no domain workstations.

Your issue is about, the security zone settings and ActiveX filtering settings that affect the running of embed ActiveX controls (your PACS viewer) in web pages or Windows desktop applications that use the MSIE WBC.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, September 24, 2018 11:22 PM
  • BINGO!!   Thanks Nate.   Worked like a champ.
    Friday, October 19, 2018 7:11 PM