none
[2019] Some of our servers report KB4561608 since may 2020 update - Windows-WinRT-Windows-System-Diagnostics package RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Some of our 50-60 servers (all 2019) are unable to install the may 12th 2020 update, KB4551853. As during our last maintenance I had other issues to work on, I let it for wat it was. Now the June 9 update, KB4561608 is here, and those same machines that failed in may, fail now as well. With messages like:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0983: Security Update for Windows (KB4561608).

Don't start with sfc /scannow and the likes, we've been there and done that. There is one error that pops up in the CBS.log after trying to install said update:

2020-06-10 16:24:47, Error                 CSI    0000000e (F) Component directory missing for Microsoft-Windows-WinRT-Windows-System-Diagnostics, version 10.0.17763.1217, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}.[gle=0x80004005]

And some error messages that come from the one posted here. The thing is, I can't find ANYTHING at all on this Microsoft-Windows-WinRT-Windows-System-Diagnostics package. As that's the only error I see, I assume my issue is related to that. It's the same on multiple machines by the way. They are updated through our WSUS environment, but the same error comes up when I manually install through the Windows Catalog update file.

Virusscanner disabled, all services disabled, rebooted zillion of times, removed SoftwareDistribution\Download to re-download everything, all the basic stuff that comes up but no avail.

Anyone with a clue?

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 2:51 PM

All replies

• Might try;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:03 PM
    Owner
  • I literally said we tried those commands.

I just tried offline (which is not feasible for all our machines) with dism /add-package, but the result is the very same error message:

2020-06-10 17:03:44, Error                 CSI    0000000c (F) Component directory missing for Microsoft-Windows-WinRT-Windows-System-Diagnostics, version 10.0.17763.1217, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}.[gle=0x80004005]

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:09 PM
  • You can also try a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of install media but time may be better spent standing up a new one, patch fully, migrate roles over to it.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:11 PM
    Owner
  • Again, that's not feasible on 20+ servers with all kinds of customer-specific applications installed. This goes back to the april updates I think, as all those machines pop the same error since april, and are unable to install updates after that, ie. may and june as of this time. I'll try to hunt this down further.

Still thanks for replying, but with all respect, practically noone is helped with these generic answers, especially when they already said they ran al of them. It actually rather disrespectful. Just my 2 cents.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:16 AM
  • You can start a case here with product support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Thursday, June 11, 2020 12:07 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 3, 2020 7:40 AM
  • So far, I've managed to track it down to the fact that McAfee Endpoint Security was blocking some actions to .scr files, as per recommendations for CryptoLocker ransomware, as well as some other that use that extension. Even with McAfee services disabled the updates wouldn't run though. These rules have been in our AV rules for years now, they never gave us any issues. I have now disabled these specific .scr rules, and SOME of the machines have been able to update. About half of them still runs in the same error though. So I'm not sure if this is actually my fix, or just sheer luck. After all, only about 20-30 of our servers ran into these issues, while ALL of them (about 70-80) have the same AV rules.

We'll see what happens in our next maintenance.

Monday, July 6, 2020 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

That sounds like AV rules are part of the reason.

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the situation in the forum as it be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:27 AM