none
Windows Server Backup Failed because another operation was in progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

Windows Server Backup was running successfully on this Windows Server 2008 R2 machine then simply stopped working, reporting "The operation failed because another operation was in progress. Retry the operation."  However, no other backup operation was in progress.

The Items tab for both the System Reserved volume and the C: volume show status: "Backup not started"

The Errors tab for both volumes shows Message: "The operation to back up the volume was stopped before the operation started running."  However, this messege is not accurate because I manually started the backup and saw progress as System Reserved volume completed, C: volume approx. 40%, System State not yet started.

I've already removed/re-added the Windows Server Backup feature to the server but same issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Bob Herman

• Edited by IT Tropolis Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:30 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Sylvia:

Thanks for all your input.  I was able to solve the issue.  The server was restarting every night repeatedly trying to install a failed Windows Update, thus stopping the backup job.

Thank you!
    Bob H.

Bob Herman

• Marked as answer by IT Tropolis Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The backup engine does not support more than 1 backup operation at a time. So if one of the backup operation is running the second one would fail.

To verify that another backup or recovery operation is not running:  type the following command in an elevated command window: “wbadmin get status”. If the command output indicates that no operation is running, then you can start a backup.

You can also end the process 'wbengine.exe' in task manager. Refer to the link below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/abef8d1c-0f83-4509-8cc8-e91fd2c2d3fb/windows-server-backup-fails?forum=windowsbackup

By the way, support for Windows Server 2008 R2 have end, we recommend you update to the last version.

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:01 AM
  • Hi Sylvia:

Appreciate your input.  No other backup job is running, i.e. I run wbadmin get status and it shows no job is running.  Then I manually start job.  The job starts and I see progress, e.g. the C: drive shows 40% progress.  The job takes many hours to run.  I check back in a number of hours, and the job shows it failed and never started b/c another job was running.  But I know this isn't the case because I manually started the job and it was showing progress.

Thanks.

Bob Herman

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 3:57 PM
  • Here's a screenshot.  This job will eventually fail and report, "The operation failed because another operation was in progress. Retry the operation." For the failed job, each volume will report, "The operation to back up the volume was stopped before the operation started running."  However, we know that's not the case because we see it running in this screenshot and we even see it shows that the System Reserve volume completed the backup.

Bob Herman

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 5:00 PM
  • Hi Bob:

When you ran the chkdsk did it report any errors?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

https://mywindowshub.com/read-event-viewer-log-check-disk-chkdsk-windows-7-windows-8/ Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:18 AM
  • Hi Sylvia:

Thanks for all your input.  I was able to solve the issue.  The server was restarting every night repeatedly trying to install a failed Windows Update, thus stopping the backup job.

Thank you!
    Bob H.

Bob Herman

• Marked as answer by IT Tropolis Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:13 PM