none
Event ID 7031 Print Spooler terminated unexpectedly

Question

• I recieved the following error:

The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

This occurred in the middle of a print job that then started over again.  Any ideas for troubleshooting this?  It happened on a Windows2008 x64 sp2 box.

Jim

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:06 PM

Answers

• The error has nothing to do with HP.  I think since HP has so many devices on the market it's just a place to start.

Most failures in the spooler process revolve around print components that incorrectly handle memory allocations.

Look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue for any directory with spoolsv in the name.  There is a text based report.wer file that you can open with notepad.  Check the faulting module name

Without knowing anything about your configuration, if this is the only time you have seen this, I'd save the driver list from printmanagement.msc to a file and not really be too concerned. 

Print drivers are the first place to start, this includes print processors and language monitors that are installed with the print driver.  Port monitors would be the next item to check.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    • Proposed as answer by ecsw Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alan MorrisEditor Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:56 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:05 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the event error 7031 are received and the Print Spooler service terminates unexpectedly.

In general, this kind of issue is caused by OEM printer drivers. In this case, you may replace with HP Universal Print Driver for test.

Here is the link to download HP Universal Print Driver

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=503548

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Does it work?

Meanwhile, we may have to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

如果您对我们的论坛在线支持服务有任何的意见或建议,请通过邮件告诉我们。
    Description: Description: TechNet 论坛好帮手立刻免费下载  TechNet 论坛好帮手

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Why are you suggesting replacing with HP Universal Print Driver? Is that error always relates to HP driver?

I'm just curious

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:43 PM
  • The error has nothing to do with HP.  I think since HP has so many devices on the market it's just a place to start.

Most failures in the spooler process revolve around print components that incorrectly handle memory allocations.

Look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue for any directory with spoolsv in the name.  There is a text based report.wer file that you can open with notepad.  Check the faulting module name

Without knowing anything about your configuration, if this is the only time you have seen this, I'd save the driver list from printmanagement.msc to a file and not really be too concerned. 

Print drivers are the first place to start, this includes print processors and language monitors that are installed with the print driver.  Port monitors would be the next item to check.

• Proposed as answer by ecsw Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alan MorrisEditor Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:56 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Dear jim80301,

problem printer spool service automatic stop error (event id 7034 the print spooler service terminated unexpectedly)

Correct answer ...

- Service: Print Spooler - The following steps helped me to remove a driver, which was causing the issue:
    1. Open regedit (e.g. click Start, key regedit and press Enter)
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers
    3. Under this key, there will be the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (one or the other of these may be absent - not a problem)
    4. The sub-keys under these contain the printer driver configuration information
    5. Delete all the sub-keys inside Version-2 and Version-3, but not these keys themselves

Regard,

Shafique

• Proposed as answer by nzaf Monday, November 19, 2018 2:47 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 7:24 AM
  • What if your are receiving this error message if you have Samsung printers.  Monday I will try Shafique's suggestion and post the results.
    Friday, January 2, 2015 11:26 PM

Thank. This fixed my problem as there is an extra tpvmmon.dll keeps on crashing spooler every time it's started and report.wer shows just that. I renamed tpvmmon.dll and started printer spooler without problem after.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:13 PM