none
Server 2016 Print server, Printers in AD keep vanishing

Question

• We have recently built a new windows 2016 server with print management. The issue we are seeing is that the printers we have deployed are no longer showing in AD or when try find a printer from the directory it shows no listings. If I select all the printers in print management and click List in Directory and they then appear again back in AD and when adding a printer via find a printer in the directory. This is happening every day and I can't find anything in the event log to say why this keeps happening.

Has anyone come across this before or at ideas?

• Edited by ID-ten-T Monday, May 20, 2019 12:57 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 1:08 PM

All replies

• hi,
    1 did you use below method to deploy netork printers on w2016 ?
    Windows Server 2012 – How to Deploy Network Printer by using Group Policy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUGzZXPya5U

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information. 

2 did you deploy your problematical printer to per user or to per machine ? (refer below picture)
    3 can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    4 what's the problematical printer model ?
    5 Are your problematical printer server and client computer in the same AD domain and the same local network ?
    6 when the problem happened ,was there any event log in below location?
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\termininalservice-printers
    7 did your issue happen on physical pc ?or happened in remote session ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 13, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Hi thanks for reply, very strange one this. It happens all model printers, we have a mix of Xerox, HP, and Konica and it happens to all manufactures and models, they no longer show up listed in AD or when we try to and add the printers manually. I have to select all the printers on the server and then right click and list all printers. After a few minutes they are seen again in AD and when search to add a printer.

Happens with both win 7 and win 10 devices and as stated it also vanishes from AD in printers until I re-list them again.

We don't have any GPO's for mapping printers, this is done by desktop team. It only happens with server 2016 print management, we have the same print queues set up and working fine on server 2012 R2. I see nothing in the event logs but I haven't checked printservice logs yet so will check that now and get back shortly.

• Edited by ID-ten-T Monday, May 20, 2019 1:06 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 12:50 PM
  • No events listed under any printservice on either application or system event log.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 12:54 PM
  • Most likely one of the Domain Controllers is deleting the printer objects for AD.

The object pruner code runs on the DC and calls out to the print server to valid the print shares.  If this every fails, the DC will delete these objects.

At Microsoft, they just stopped the Print Spooler service on all the DCs which basically caused stale print object to not ever be cleaned up so the IT team that managed the print servers had to do a bunch of manual work to accomplish the task.

Enable the PrintService / Operational channel on all your DCs and find out which one can't enumerate the shares on your print server.

I expect error 5, access denied, or error 6 invalid handle, maybe error 3 , path not found.  Error 1801 is invalid printer name

Send back the information from the event.

The group policy that controls when the DC pruner code runs

Computer / Admin Templates / Printers / Prune printers that are not automatically republished.

There several other PRUNE policies

Thanks

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:12 AM
    Answerer
  • hi,
    "We don't have any GPO's for mapping printers, this is done by desktop team. It only happens with server 2016 print management, "
    do you mean you not install "printer and documents"role on problematical w2016 and only install all network printers on w2016 then share them to all client computer.

Saturday, May 25, 2019 11:24 AM
  • Thanks for responses, sorry been away. I will enable print services on the DC's and see what I find and post back here.

Friday, June 7, 2019 8:39 AM
  • I think that's the problem, if I try the share none of them work apart from one dc. I have disabled "Allow pruning of published printers" on all the dc's and will monitor.
    Friday, June 7, 2019 11:21 AM