Script to change default browser to IE on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have a script/or know the registry settings for changing the default browser to IE on Windows 10?

Thanks!

Resolved by using a combination of modifying the image and Group Policy Settings.

Monday, September 14, 2015 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

have a look at this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/akshayns/archive/2009/10/15/a-batch-file-for-setting-ie-as-the-default-browser.aspx

Monday, September 14, 2015 2:46 PM
  • You can do this manually, steps below however if you need to apply to a group of client machine  then you could try GPO

• Configuration – windows settings – Right click internet explorer maintenance and select preference mode

• Double click programs

• Click on radio button modify settings

• Click on make default in the default web browser

To apply to individual machine

• Search default browser

• Under settings – system – default app choose Internet explorer as default app

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

This does not work with windows 10, i already tried it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 6:44 AM
  • Have a look at this Technet article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt269907.aspx maybe this will help you.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Hello,

I cannot do this manually, it needs to be applied to a group of clients that upgraded To Windows 10 from their old OS through an in place upgrade Task sequence.

I do not have access to GPO, it needs to be done via script (the person that sets group policies can't really help me).

What i really need are the registries used to change the default browser. I found some scripts for older operating systems, but not windows 10.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:10 AM
  • Try powershell to automate. Code will be available in technet gallery.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Can you provide me with a link or something? I've searched the gallery and did not find anything useful.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:08 AM
  • Hello Milos,

That code clears the default browser choice and let's you choose another default browser (in Windows 10) - it was amongst the first codes i've tried. 

I need some code that sets the default browser to IE.

Regarding the discussion type...i see i can change it to question...but it says it will delete all the answers (i don't want that for now) - in the future i'll use the question type.

Thank you!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:35 AM
  • Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:25 AM
  • If you don't have access to do this using group policy or by modifying the system image, you can use a a little program I wrote called Set Default Browser. Then just run:

SetDefaultBrowser "Internet Explorer"

• Edited by sampalmer Sunday, July 9, 2017 10:00 PM
    Sunday, July 9, 2017 10:00 PM
  • This worked great. You don't have anything like this lying around for setting the file extensions, do you? We do not run Active Directory, so I cannot use the GPO, and I can't find an option that works. I apologize if this is against forum rules, I'm just super excited to have found this.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:29 PM
  • This worked great. You don't have anything like this lying around for setting the file extensions, do you? We do not run Active Directory, so I cannot use the GPO, and I can't find an option that works. I apologize if this is against forum rules, I'm just super excited to have found this.
    No, I don't have anything for changing file extensions.
    Friday, August 4, 2017 8:27 PM
  • i have coded two utiliies - one to set the default browser and the other to set file type associations. both are per user and can be used in a script or GPO.

SetUserFTA: SetUserFTA

SetDefaultBrowser: SetDefaultBrowser

Enjoy!

• Edited by kolbicz Friday, November 10, 2017 6:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by sampalmer Monday, July 30, 2018 7:07 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:17 PM
  • forgive me for being a bit of a Noob, but how does one run said <g class="gr_ gr_46 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="46" id="46">program</g> to correct this issue?
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:36 PM
  • sam,

been using your exe. love it. recently rolled back to use 1703 company wide..... (unrelated problem)

control panel applet message .... control panel applet didn't open......

can you confirm which version (from github) i should use on 1703 ?

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:26 PM
  • this <g class="gr_ gr_21 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="21" id="21">doesnt</g> help
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:06 PM
  • sam,

been using your exe. love it. recently rolled back to use 1703 company wide..... (unrelated problem)

control panel applet message .... control panel applet didn't open......

can you confirm which version (from github) i should use on 1703 ?

The latest version from GitHub should be fine. If it's not working for you, I suggest using the one posted by kolbicz since it looks like it uses a more reliable technique.
    Monday, July 30, 2018 7:09 AM