How can I enable message classification in exc 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

Just to confirm if in order to have the ability to classify messages with EXC2013 I have to deploy DLP, or is there a way like before at 2010 or 2007? I really didn't get this point!<o:p></o:p>

Regards<o:p></o:p>

Daniel S Orlando MCSE - Messaging

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• I new that there is the "new-messageclassification" but it is not smart as DLP. And how can I show this in the outlook 2010 and 13?

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi all!

Just to confirm if in order to have the ability to classify messages with EXC2013 I have to deploy DLP, or is there a way like before at 2010 or 2007? I really didn't get this point!<o:p></o:p>

Regards<o:p></o:p>

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.  But DLP is only available in the v15 wave of products and later (ie. Exchange 2013 & Outlook 2013).  It is not available in older versions.

In order to use DLP, you must create/import DLP Policies which internally use DLP rules (classification rules).  This can be found under Compliance -> DLP in the EMC.

Nucleuz Inc DLP Policies and Rules for Exchange 2013, Exchange Online, and Office 365 (O365) www.nucleuz.com

• Proposed as answer by Rebecca Tu Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:36 PM
  • I new that there is the "new-messageclassification" but it is not smart as DLP. And how can I show this in the outlook 2010 and 13?

I know it's a bit confusing, but the new-messageclassification is not part of the DLP feature.

More information about Microsoft's DLP is available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150527%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Nucleuz Inc DLP Policies and Rules for Exchange 2013, Exchange Online, and Office 365 (O365) www.nucleuz.com

• Proposed as answer by Rebecca Tu Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Actually I would like to know if there is a way that message classification can be forced before the users send emails. Like when them click on "sent" a pop shows up and order to choose the classification.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

In the first place, please understand that DLP is not used to classify messages. We can use New-MessageClassification to create a message classification instance in Exchange organization. So it is what you are looking for. For more resource, please read the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124400(v=exchg.150).aspx

Then, DLP policy is to prevent data loss and it could be used along with message classification. It is a new method presented by Exchange 2013 and online version to help you manage message data when compared with traditional message classification. Helping prevent data loss in Exchange 2013 relies on configuring the correct set of sensitive information rules so that they provide a high degree of protection while minimizing inappropriate mail flow disruption with false positives and negatives. For more resource: http://msexchangeguru.com/2013/01/23/e2013-dlp/

I hope it can help.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Actually I would like to know if there is a way that message classification can be forced before the users send emails. Like when them click on "sent" a pop shows up and order to choose the classification

AFAIK, it is not possible to prompt the user to choose the message's classification.

However with the DLP feature, you can prevent the user from sending an e-mail which contains sensitive information or require the user to provide a business justification to send an e-mail which contains sensitive information.  If using a DLP-aware e-mail client (currently Outlook 2013+), this will cause the user to be prompted before the e-mail is sent.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:07 AM
  • So just to finish now I have all the information... How can I enable the classification at outlook 2013? I did the procedure for 2007 and 2010 exporting xml and the like. Change the registry key to test, but no success on the outlook 2013!

On the permission icon when I am going to send an email I aways get a message about IRM and my customization is not there!

Regards,

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:56 PM