How can I completely disable SmartScreen? RRS feed

• Question

• Ive been putting the final touches on our Windows 10 deployment using MDT 2013 Update 1. One of the last items I can't figure out is how to completely disable windows smart screen. 

I sysprepped my image using OOBE and set up all my copy profile settings. During this, I disabled Smart Screen from Settings > Privacy. When I was finished and I started building out the rest of the image in my VM, I disabled it during Windows Welcome as well. We are testing several devices including Surface Books. One of the startup items for Surface Books is SurfaceDTX.exe which is more or less just an application that pops up and tells you if its ok to detach the screen or not. Despite disabling everything above, when we deploy Windows 10 to a Surface Book and log in to a domain user account we immediately get a pop up that SurfaceDTX.exe is being checked by Smart Screen and Smart Screen can't connect to Microsoft right now. We DO have Smart Screen blocked at checkpoint here - not my call, thats info security's decision. 

I should add this is just one example - I have had other instances where other applications provide the same error during everyday use so just disabling SurfaceDTX.exe is not an option. We also don't want people trying to rip the tablet off before its ok. So what am I missing?

Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You could deploy this registry to turn off the SmartScreen.

1. Locate to this registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

2. Navigate to SmartScreenEnabled String Value in the right pane.

3. Set its value as below(For you, it's should be set as "Off"):

RequireAdmin = Get administrator approval before running an unrecognized app from the internet
    Prompt = Warn before running an unrecognized app, but don't require administrator approval
    Off = Don't do anything

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 7:00 AM