windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting LOOP!

Question

• Just bought a new Laptop with Win Vista  worked fine till i started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just loops over and over so i cant access anything on my laptop

i tried to do a system restore from the boot up but it says i have no restore points, Please someone tellme how to fix this!!

Monday, February 26, 2007 2:09 PM

All replies

• Have the same problem. New desktop brand new out of the box. started getting the exact error mssg. Tried system restore through Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore all within the 5 second window that you have before the error "windows explorer has stopped working" knocks you off. Also tried turning User ID off, no luck. Also went into safe mode after turning User ID off and doing a "system restore", no luck! Please help.
    • Proposed as answer by Juzar Thingna Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:30 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem and if anyone has an answer to this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reply.
    • Proposed as answer by Mike114 Friday, March 27, 2009 1:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:48 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem on a new Dell desktop, and if anyone has an answer to this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reply.

I take it, this is going to be one of those problems that Microsoft won't answer until enough people complain that it is an actual problem.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:40 PM
  • I have the same problem as you guys. Its amazing how there is not one solution to this yet. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE FIND A SOLUTION. I can't get anything done. My computer is my life. That sounds bad, but still, email me if you come up with anything-- moses1489@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Moses

• Proposed as answer by freebird1 Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:59 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:11 PM
  • I have this problem too!  I upgraded my Dell laptop from XP Pro to Vista Business.  I CANNOT OPEN THE CONTROL PANEL.  What kills me is that Microsoft programmed the two message boxes, and they don't even address them in their own support systems.  This is a serious problem that needs a hotfix!
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:30 PM
  • what happened is a virus. it is not a problem with vista.

I called E-machines for help and they had me shut down my computer and as soon as I turned it on i repeatedly pressed F8 ( approx. 3 times per second) until i got a restore message  and i choose safe mode.  then you can A) go to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore   -- and then restore your computer. or you can B) ...if you have vista... when you press start go to the search bar and type in rstrui then enter and it will bring up restore. My computer automatically set its restore point.

once I got bakc on he suggested i get a virus protector becuase i most likely picked it up from the internet.

hope this helps... sorry if it doesn't.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:56 AM
  • I got mine fixed.  Not a virus in my case.  I needed to move all of the pre-Vista .cpl files out of the System32 folder and put them back in one-at-a-time until I found the offending control panel file.  In my opinion, Vista should be smart enough to block the file it doesn't like.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Had the same problem.  Interesting fix.  Which .cpl was it?

Fixed my problem by restoring my Win XP image I created before upgrading to VISTA.

I THINK THE BEST SOLUTION WILL BE TO WAIT UNTIL VISTA SP1 IS RELEASED BEFORE UPGRADING TO VISTA!

Please post reply if you isolate the offending .cpl file.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:37 AM
  • I work at a tech support desk for Online Learning at a Community College in California. A student brought in his brand new laptop and was having this issue. Here is how I fixed it. ( Ive seen at least 19 other cases since)

Press Ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the Task Manager, click on the tab Processes and end the process 'System Idle Process', this will stop the looping effect. Then go to file, select New task (run), type explorer in the box and hit ok. This will manually restart Windows Explorer.

This is a bad bug, it should have been caught by Q&A at Microsoft BEFORE RELEASE. Most folks are not tech savvy enough to know how to fix this issue and so far the support desks I have called at HP, DELL and Gateway have no idea how to fix this. I didnt bother calling Microsoft because I dont have 4-5 hours to sit on hold.

Todd Williamson

MSCE, MSO, A+, N+, CCN

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:33 PM
  • hi,
    I having the same problem with Windows Vista Home Basic. I could not find any service called  'System Idle Process'
    any ideas?
    thanks

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:56 PM
  • In my case it was Firebird2Control.cpl

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:10 PM
  • When i try to end the System Idle process I get an error that states this operation cannot be performed.  any other ideas?
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 5:24 PM
  • I have a same problem ,new laptop from Dell, with Vista basic, After one day of using I started to have same problem , can not run IE7, the looping is repeating all the time. I install Firefox for using the Internet. I hope Microsoft will solve the problem ASAP. I dont know what to do.
    Friday, April 06, 2007 1:39 AM
  • hi

my first experience with vista....yuk. Anyway a friend had downloaded and installed a program called spylocked,  trend picked it up as a problem, tried to remove it but then went into dreaded windows explorer loop etc. Had no backup or restore point to go back to so found this article http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic85376.html#manual.  Copied the fixsl.reg to my xp laptop then to a usb key. The only way then was to boot in safe mode on vista laptop then do the control + alt + delete, then select start task manager. Now goto File and new task. You still get delays but hang in there and type in c:\windows\explorer.exe then click ok. You  can now run explorer without the program shutting down but you will still get small delays due the error message popping up. I just waited till the error box closed then performed what i wanted to do. Put in the usb key with the reg file on it then navigate to the usb key and copy the file to the c drive.  Now the file is copied to c: run the file to import the settings into the registry. After the import my problems stopped. I then went through the list of files they recommended to rename to bad, the only file i found was qzviz.dllqzviz.dll. I then followed the rest of the arcticle but couldnt run  SmitfraudFix.exe cause it dont work on vista.  Do a full virus check and when all is good do a restore point.

Hope this helps someone and glad to go back to my windows xp machine.

Monday, April 09, 2007 8:54 AM
  • yeah same problem brand new laptop straight out of the box with vista business, everytime try to move a file explorer stops working and restarts, tried system restore which doesn't work as it always fails to complete! And to top it off my 360 has just died with a hardware failure and its only 9 months old!! Getting very disgruntled with microsoft!!! Someone please help!!!
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 5:09 PM
  • hey people !

you can run windows explorer by using the run command : start> all programs >

accessories> run... you might wanna right click run to add it to quick launch coz it looks like we

gonna have to get used to opening explorer that way... I have the same problem but i installed

Debian etch on another drive so i just swap drives... not a fan of microsoft anyway so i'll just stick to linux...

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:50 PM
  • I have the same issue, but when I run the new tash, the message returns.... I ran every virus scan that I have downloaded, and none of them are locating any viruses.  I can't download any other software to try to fix the registry ( according to the techie at microsoft this is the issue) because I can't access anything that was saved due to the windows explorer retatring every 10 seconds or so.  now what?

Monday, April 16, 2007 6:56 PM
  • TRY THIS: RIGHT CLICK ON INTERNET EXPLORER ICON, THEN "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" EMAIL ME IF IT WORKS
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Try this: RIGHT CLICK ON INTERNET EXPLORER ICON THE "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:26 PM
  • This post help me fix that problem

Edspring
    01-17-2007, 04:59 AM
    Hi,

Yes that was the file name so if you can't find that one then I will explain how I found it and maybe if you use the same method you may find the cause of your problems.

If you run Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del etc) you can use the run the "New Task" option as a browser. In the browse window select all files (*.*) and go to C:\Windows\System32 subdirectory and sort by date modified. Look at all the most recent files, especially those that carry the date when things started to go wrong and later. Right click these files individually and study the date created and date accessed, if you can find a file the was created on the day things went wrong and has been accessed within the last hour or so, then this could be the problem file. Mine was "gwquvw.dll" so look for something that is not obviously a system file and move it into the recycle bin, if nothing changes look for other similar files and do the same. If this still doesn't work restore the files from the recycle bin in case they are needed. Other than that I have no other info I can give you at this time.

Good luck, enjoy a beer for me too

Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:32 AM
  • my problem was Firebird2Control.cpl also. i think i downloaded it from a program i got from giveawayoftheday.com. i think it was gocrm that did it try to putFirebird2Control.cpl in the start search and see if it comes up. delete it and it will be back to normal

Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:55 PM
  • I tried your troubleshooting . its not working . kindly help me with some other troubleshooting.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Hi folks,

Please try to do a startup repair by boot the computer by Vista DVD.  While booting from the DVD the installer will do the statup repair automatically otherwise we have to choose that manually. Select repair tools from the "Install now" window after booting from vista DVD.

Also I would suggest you to create a new user account and check for the issue. If the problem still presist in the new user account try to run the SFC util from the command prompt. Right click on "CMD" and "Run as Adimistrator", then type "sfc /scannow" press enter ( while you running the utility we have to make sure the Vista DVD is inside in the DVD drive).

Try to do a inpace upgrade (Running the Vista installer from the Desktop then doing an Upgrade installation)  and then check. Good luck!

Regards,

Mathan Raj A

Technical Support Executive  - Windows Vista.

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:04 AM
  • if youve tried safe mode, lask known good config, syst restore but still could not get through windows explorer error in vista try this..****restart syst & press F8 on the dell logo..choose start up repair..if start up repair is not available on advance startup options try popping in the vista cd & restart syst & press  F12 & choose cd drive on the options & continuosly tap on the enter key..wait till you see options to do repair..choose repair & follow the prompts & restart syst..if still no go, try emailing me at liquidsusay@yahoo.com or at my mobile 09168451896..its all for free support..
    Friday, April 20, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the exact same problem.... none of the suggestions have yet to solve my problem. the error shows up right when I start up the computer... I have not downloaded anything from the internet... I am currently running an entire system scan for any malware on my system... I don't know what it is with Vista... there seems to be so many bug with this operating system. I really hope microsoft comes up with a solution soon.... Please E-mail me if sombody comes up with a solution. my address is snydermmm5@yahoo.com.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:41 AM
  • I have the exact same issue...right out of the box.  I tried going to control panel, internet options, advanced and reset explorer settings.  This worked but had to be done every time I tried to open explorer.  I have now taken the advice of downloading firefox and use it for the internet.  I also find that the internet is much faster....explorer was very sluggish.  Hope this helps.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:51 PM
  • similar problem here!!!  so annoying, although it sounds like some of you guys have it worse than me.....  my new vista laptop 2 weeks ol and been ok up to now....... now i cannot access my E Drive at all DVDW drive..... everything else is OK (ish)  but whenever i try to access data on a disc through the DVDR drive i get the dreaded "WSindows has stopped working" message..... restarts and so the loop goes on.....  tried a system restore, ran norton and all spyware tools (i dont think its anything like that now anyways)...   its so annoying as now i cant access that drive so cant transfer anymore files onto it.....

Looking through Google and the forums there are lots of people having problems...... WHAT THE HELL ARE MICROSOFT DOING??  anybody know?   and what are you doing> Just living with the problem?    how annoying is this.... 

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Found a solution thru searching on answers.com linked to petesbloggerama.  Someone suggested right clicking on IE7 and running as administrator then go into control panel, user accounts, then click user account on or off.  Uncheck the box, then choose OK.  Someone also suggested going into control panel, network and internet, click on security tab and uncheck "enable protected mode".  Hope this helps.

Monday, April 23, 2007 8:06 PM
  • restart  the system while you are restarting the system press F8 then go to in Recovery Mode, select the option system recovery and then select the option system restore. on earlier date hope this will solve your problem it's for Win Vista.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 10:55 PM
  • I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! It's so frustrating. I just got my new laptop with Windows Vista, 2 weeks ago. Everything worked fine until yesterday. I got the 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' loop message.

Thank god for this site! You guys have been a great help.

I was worried that I would have to reset Explorer in Control Panel everytime I used the net!

The solution of right clicking on the Explorer button and selecting 'run as system administration', works.

But I am so annoyed with Microsoft that i have just downloaded Firefox to use as my default browser instead. Here is the URL for the 2007 version of Firefox http://www.firefox2007.com/ It is free and very fast process.

I attempted to delete all of my .cpl files (pre-Vista), but I was blocked by my computer, saying i didn't have access. There was no Firebird2Control.cpl file either.

Until Microsoft come up with a solution, I will continue to use Firefox (and encourage everyone I know to) as my default browser. I hope Microsoft fix this problem soon. It is unacceptable for Microsoft to have sold this new version to the public, without first de-bugging all mojor problems.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

queenbitchlisa@hotmail.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:38 AM
  • Lisa,

I think you may be confusing Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.  My problem was specifically Windows Explorer, not the browser.  My problem was fixed by moving Firebird2Control.cpl out of the System32 folder.  This is a control panel applet related to the Firebird database management system which I had installed in XP before I upgraded to Vista.  Therefore my problem started immediately after I upgraded, and I had no restore points.

If you are having trouble with Windows Explorer (in addition to having trouble with Internet Explorer?), you may be able to fix your problem by going back to a restore point, because you were OK for a few weeks.

If you need to move the cpl files out of the system32 folder, you may need to turn off the User Account Control temporarily.

I know many people are having trouble with Internet Explorer also, and I hope Microsoft is working on all of these issues. 

Nancy
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:36 AM
  • I am using vista premium on  a laptop and I get the same problems. I also get windows side bar has stopped working, windows messenger has stopped working. And my windows messenger has never worked since. each time I sign in it encounters the same problem and closes down. does anybody have an answer for it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:51 PM
  • I just did what you recommend and it works!!!!!

thank you so much

Monday, April 30, 2007 1:59 PM
  • Jesus Christ above

Im here 4 hours later on my day off work STILL trying to fix this...Because of the Microsoft Explorer coming back again every 5-10seconds I cannot do anything in regards to fixing the problem..Windows Vista is a disgrace, didnt the tech guys behind this know that this bug with occur eventually???? 

Someone please help with a 100% solution!!!! There really must be one around!!!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 4:33 PM
  • If you are running an ISP such as MSN ,make sure to set the Home page of Internet Explorer  7 to Internet Explorer 7 and the Home page of your other ISP to it's Home page. I had the same trouble. Also check your Privacy settings, make sure Internet Explorer is allowed.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:48 AM
  • If you are running an ISP such as MSN ,make sure to set the Home page of Internet Explorer  7 to Internet Explorer 7 and the Home page of your other ISP to it's Home page. I had the same trouble. Also check your Privacy settings, make sure Internet Explorer is allowed.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:49 AM
  • I just had the same problem and fixed it.  I just followed what someone else had said.  Press cntrl+alt+del open task manager, the go to file new task(run).  Click on browse then select all files instead of all programs.  Look for the date modified tab and click on it.  Find some of the most reacent files and look for a dll file.  Mine was called fyxkahh.dll.  Delete it and it should stop restarting.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 9:08 PM
  •  

Did anyone ever get an answer to this. My 2 week old laptop started doing this last night. It is caught in a loop and I cannt access anything else. I have also noticed that there is an icon called spylocked 3.6 on my desktop . Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:56 PM
  • markdwig,
    Someone on the Dell forum had this exact problem.  Spylocked is malware.  He removed it with a downloadable sypware remover called superantispyware.  (He did not give a link). 
    After cleaning your computer, make sure your AV and anti-spyware programs are up to date.
    good luck
    Nancy

Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:36 PM
  • same problem. please call.  303.906.2093
    Friday, May 04, 2007 1:18 AM
  •  

Open task manager...   click on file...  new task (run)...  type: iexplore and click OK,

it will open internet explorer, then go to this link to download superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

Install the software and run a full scan... and remove all the spyware/malware that will be detected

Then make sure that you update your antivirus software and other antispyware softwares and scan your computer once a week.

Good luck!

Friday, May 04, 2007 5:16 AM
  • I had the same problem. I also had the same  problem with windows side bar and windows live messenger. Itried everything and even the Dell support team could not solve the issue. Finally I reinstalled the system (factory image) but still the problem came up. Then I uninstalled the GOOGLE DESKTOP and I am free of trouble. I can only say that it worked with me...why not give it a try, if you are using vista and you have google desktop installed.

joshy

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:23 PM
  • I disabled McAfee site advisor and so far so good.
    Saturday, May 05, 2007 5:09 AM
  • I have a new HP laptop..Windows Vista premium home edtion..

was getting the windows explorer has stopped working message over and over.

follow these steps..

ctrl-alt-delete...start task manager..File..new task....browse..(at bottom right change from programs to All files)  views.. details to show date...sort by date..find newest .dll file and deleted it..

mine was called "dxovx.dll"    I deleted that file and the looping "windows explorer has stopped working" message FINALLY WENT AWAY!!

just find newest .dll in system 32 directory.....it's probably that one..cause u really can't do anything after you first get loop message..

hope it helps..headache gone for now.

ltr

Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:08 PM
  • My solution was simple: I had recently downloaded and installed a video codec from the internet. So, I opened up "Add/Remove Programs", found the codec, uninstalled/removed it, and the problem was fixed. No more LOOPING!!

This may be the case for most of you, because I've been getting emails from people with this problem, and everytime I've suggested this solution to them, they've emailed back thanking me. =)

So... this may be your case. However, in your case, it could be anything (i.e. online game, file transfer, video/audio codec, etc.)

Furthermore, because the loop kills anything you open up in about five seconds, there is no possible way for you to open "Add/Remove Programs" that quickly, let alone uninstall anything.

So, here's what I suggest:

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete
    Click on Start Task Manager
    *A small window should open up*
    Click on the Applications tab (under File, Options, Views, Windows, etc.)
    Click on New Task... at the bottom-right of the window
    *This should open up an even smaller window*
    Type in C:\
    *This should open up your C:\ folder*
    On the left side of the "C:\" folder, you'll see a list
    Click on My Computer, and when that opens up...
    There should be a button right above where the window icons are that reads Uninstall or change a program (for you it might be Add/Remove Programs), click on it
    When the window fully loads, and the loop doesn't kill it, choose the program(s) that you recently installed before the loop began, remove it, and hope to God, it works!

If, after going through this whole process with theTask Manager, the loop is still killing the My Computer page, just keep trying! Sometimes it may kill the window, sometimes it might not. I'd try it until that time comes.

I hope this works for you guys. I know how frustrating it could be. Personally, I think the Vista needed more time in Beta, but that's just me.

Cheers!
    Moses

moses1489@yahoo.com (questions, comments, etc.)

Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Thanks so much!!  I have tried for 2 days now to find SOMETHING.  Finally I came across your message.  This worked for me.  Thanks for taking the time to post it!!
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 12:11 AM
  • Thanks for the heads up on this one. Luckily I could access the internet on a second computer to find your solution.
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 11:00 AM
  • I tempted to download windows media player plugin from one of the Pxxn site and ignored all the alerts from vista, and landed into same problem. Deadly virus effected my laptop, immediately Mcafee antivirus detected it and able to clean that one. But this problem persists in my PC. Windows explorer stopped working and restarting in LOOP and also installed spylocked kind of software. Then I have a recovery CD which is provided by the vendor. With that I am able to recover back to normal. Luckily I have noticed few recovery points while doing the recovery process. Then I decided not to download any plugin from unknown sites. But I beleive Vista has this known bug, after hearing all your messages.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Got my problem fixed thanks to a combination of suggestions found in this forum.  Thanks to all.

I to got the virus by downloading a supposed "video codec" off the internet.  My HP laptop was looping too fast (about 5 to 10 seconds) to be able to go through the screens and turn off User ID (which it turns out didn't do anything anyway).  Ctl-Alt-Del didn't do anything either. I couldn't get any apps running to try to remove the malware before Explorer restarted and closed all the apps. 

My search of the internet turned up a link to a program "removeSpyLocked3.6".  In retrospect, it appears that this is probably software written by the hackers to charge you $29.95 to remove the SpyLocked "virus" that they loaded on your computer.  I made the mistake of running this and it installed SpyHunter on my computer which hijacked my IE to put me into their website for which they wanted to charge the $29.95.  Their website listed some eastern block country for the company (Latvia I belive).  The SpyHunter software wouldn't run without payment - I didn't pay.

I rebooted my computer from a CD based Koppix (Linux) disk.  This allowed me to search my harddisk for the latest additions in the system32 directory and the program files directory.  I found that SpyLock was installed and a dll named dxovx.dll was in my system32 directory.  SpyHunter had created a hidden directory in my program files directory along with a hidden SpyLocked3.6 directory along with a "Video_AX_(something)" directory (I don't remember the whole name)  I  was unable to delete the files using Koppix and didn't want to take the time to solve that problem.  So,I rebooted my computer and hit F8 to get to the startup options and selected Safe Mode with command prompt.  (Safe Mode had the same problems with Explorer looping so I couldn't do anymore there than in normal boot mode.)  In the safe mode with command prompt (DOS) I was able to find the hidden files and directories using the "dir *. -ah" command which showed both hidden directores.  I then deleted them along with the dll in the system32 directory.  When I rebooted, the problem still existed and Explorer was still looping.

I went back to this forum and found the reference to starting Task Manager with Ctl-Alt-Del.  But since ctl-alt-del wouldn't work for me, I was able to right click on the task bar and launch Taks Manager before Explorer restarted.  This allowed me to open windows that didn't get closed when Explorer closed.  I followed the directions listed by Mosesk1489 to eventually get to the control panel (although not exactly as he described). I opened the Programs and Features application.  In this app I was able to "uninstall" programs.  I "uninstalled" the three programs, SpyLocked, SpyHunter and Video AX (something).  I got a windows message stating that the programs had already been removed (since I deleted them in DOS) and asked if I wanted to remove them from the programs list.  I clicked on YES and rebooted and my problem was gone. 

I then went into Control Panel and opened Performance Information and Tools then clicked on Manage Startup Programs on the left window pane.  Low and behold, the programs were still listed in the startup list.  I removed them from the list.  Hopefully I got all references and instances removed.

Hope this works for everyone where other solutions didn't. 

btw - I didn't see the right click on Explorer Icon and "run a administrator" until after I cleaned my system.  If that works, it would be a lot easier than going through the Task Manager solution I describe above.  You should still delete all files that were installed in your computer.  Just stopping the problem doesn't get rid of the malware.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:08 AM
  • Hi I have exactly the same problem and have tried everything on this site so far to correct it to no avail ... I have been unable to use my comp for 3 days now and its driving me mad ... Please somebody help me !!!!!
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Hi Kulugertz,

Many Thanks for sharing your info as i installed the software you recommended and it actually got rid of that horrible looping message regarding windows explorer!

I'm so Thankful its over ;-D

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:35 PM
  • I have just bought a new Toshiba abd I HAVE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!

Very dissatisfied with Microsoft at present - WE NEED HELP ON THIS

I have tried th spyware and virus removal tools but no effect

Please assist URGENTLY

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:44 PM
  • My brother just had this happen after looking at it for some time heres your guy's problem.

First ctrl+alt+del and go to your task manager and then click the processes tab.

Then highlight explorer.exe and end task so it stops spamming you, You will loose your start menu and desktop icons and so forth temporarily.

Then click file>new task> this will open a window similar to the run from the start menu.

type C:\ and hit Ok...

From here click on my computer on the left side.

From here click on add/remove programs on the left side...

BET YOU HAVE THIS Video AX Object #.## of some number version.

read up on this here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/4217/Video-AX-Object-2.07.html

Its a trojan disguised as a video codec. remove this and restart your computer and hope it works.

If not the trojan has already spread, run a antivirus if you have 1 the same way you got to your add/remove programs.

Also can try the custom uninstall from this directory.

C:\Program Files\Video AX Object\uninst.exe

None of these worked for my brother it was too late we had to reformat and reinstall.

It is a trojan the people who posted about the system 32 file way is because it infects your system32 files... Id suggest a virus scan to remove those files and not just manually doing it.

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:57 PM
  • I have a Dell with Vista.I had the same problem from recently. I have also had a problem with no favorites showing up in the menu bar under Favorites.First close all Explorer widows open. I went to the control panel, open Internet options, then go to the advanced tab. Click on the reset tab, then reset all to factory settings. You'll lose all cookies and saved passwords. Wait till all the options have a reset and a check mark is placed by them. After that go to the Security tab and uncheck enabel protected mode. Click OK to accept then re open Explorer.

This leaves you somewhat un protected but at least I got rid of the "explorer has stopped"

Sunday, May 13, 2007 6:00 PM
  • SOLUTION..
     Ok i reread these postings a thousand times and stll couldnt figure it out .. then i suddenly got it to work ..
     go to ctrl alt del  and start task manager
    click new task and type in
    c:\windows\explorer.exe
     click ok
    on the left hand side in the FOLDERS click desk top
    then in the middle of the screen click control panel
    in this find programs and features and click
    this is your add and remove folder. the VIRUS file should be near the top just check the dates.
     right click and delete it. reboot and its gone..
     many thanks to all the people who posted on this site you were very very helpfull.

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:42 PM
  • found this on another site and it worked immediately for me. rebooted computer and f8 while starting. followed options to system restore and used date that was a day or two prior to having problems. worked fine.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Same problem as well. Fixed in the same way as above my was called viuaoq.dll. Only took 5 1/2 hours to fix the problem.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:38 PM
  • i don';t know how to fix it i already restored system but it still doesn't work
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:42 AM
  • are you still having problems with windows has stopped working
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:01 AM
  • I have only just installed the program and just started to run it and it has stoped the window popping up already thanks so much the other things didnt work so thank again your a gem.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:19 PM
  • this(the above solution)  worked for me. the file that messed up mine was indwvm.dll, i took it out and it stopped, so i renamed it and put it back and its like nothing ever happened. thx for the info
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Cheers,

Tried all til i got to yours, worked a charm

Last time i'll get a codec to watch porn

lesson learned

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:58 PM
  • My son's Vista Business computer exibited the same problem, I fixed it by going to programs in control panel (I had to be very quick to get there) and uninstalling an application that installed right before the problem occured called "Windows Sytem Alert". I am seeing on the internet that there are variances of this program name. Look for the date that it installed. I hope that this helps.

RichardPerl

Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:37 PM
  •  do one thing in vista. press start menu, select  run and type "msconfig". u will get a new window,select startup and unclick "system", save changes,exit with restart.

it's work for me.

thank u

sakkeer

Monday, May 28, 2007 5:20 AM
  • do you loose all your files, does the pc reboot.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Hi

I have also had the same symptom and have fixed it using a similar route to one of the posts below.

1. Use Ctrl Alt Del and access task manager.

2. Click Applications and click new task.

3. Use Browse option to find a new file that was downloaded the day or day before the windows explorer has stopped working loop.

4. I sorted file by date and found a few files and directories called www.VideoJug.com which had been downloaded as an activeX component pretending to be a video codec.

5. I deleted them all and all was OK.

6. Beware these files and directories can have different names. Try searching for the text Video and see what you find.

GizHow

Monday, May 28, 2007 6:04 PM
  • I have been fighting with the same problem today.  After trying many of the suggestions in the replies, I was able to restore my system by selecting restart from the start menu, holding down the F8 key during restart before the windows icon appeared, then selecting "safe mode with prompt," then typing "rstrui.exe" after the prompt, then selecting a restore point, and finally restoring the system.  Hours of messing around, but I am breathing easier now.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:29 AM
  • i had a similar problem. mine was due to a .zip folder created by zip genius placed in the same folder with the unzipped folder. this creates some sort of loop that doesn't let you open any directory with that .zip folder. to fix it, use the command prompt, go to the directory and delete the .zip file that is causing this. bam, windows explorer is working now.
    some useful commands

Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:50 AM
  • This is happerning to me too, the programmes/applications it has happened to so far are;

internet explorer

windows explorer

host processes for windows services??

win 32??

live messenger

any ms office programme

firefox

i get a cloudly white screen and get the error messege.... sometimes the programe will re-open other times it will not and you have to re-boot

starting to really wind me up now, win xp is looking more and more attractive by the day

Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:55 PM
  • hey u can also try this method get rid of this Spyware its actually a spyware so what u can do is goto download.com and download   Ad-Aware 2007  and just get rid of this spyware and to exit from this loop of getting this msg of WINDOWS EXPLORER IS RE_INSTALLING press ctrl+alt+del and select task manager to exit this loop and perform the necessary steps but the best step would be to delete the update that you have downloaded  and u can reply me the results guys so that i can help u better
    Saturday, June 09, 2007 5:27 PM
  • i dont have a system idle process, what can i do? i dont know much so i dont know what to do, i do know that this looping is mental!!!! ive just installed upgraded to vista from XP so am i right in guessing its some of my sofware that i already had conflicting with explorer, how do i  find out wich is the bad one. every one else seems to have had this problem after they have had vista working already. its never worked for me!!!
    Monday, June 11, 2007 3:20 PM
  • I came across the same problem last night but 1st of all before you can use system restore you must make a system restore point before you come across any errors. I fixed my problem by booting into safe mode and just before it came up windows explorer has stopped working i clicked the start tab and typed into the search bar at the bottom of the list system and then chose system restore. however safe mode will then restart so keep tring and eventually system restore will load when you click it even if safe mode restarts system restore will still come up and when it does just ignore the error message and continue to restore and the pc will reboot and after the restore is complete you will be fine for any more help email me at chris@wizzzzard.com or wizzzzard.com@hotmail.co.uk or check out the website www.wizzzzard.com but if you want a reply then email me Chris at etheir one of the two email addresses thanks
    Monday, June 11, 2007 9:24 PM
  • I fixed this damn problems thanks to the help from the people in here. To get rid of that loop, click on alt+ctr+dlt and go to task manager. Go to prrocess and click on explorer.exe and clcik on end process. now you will get rid of the annoying loop that keeps appearing like every five seconds. then go to the date modifeid section and delete any .dll file that was modified in the last day or so. my case it was gjkop.dll. restart and there you go.. cheers
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:50 AM
  •  

Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:20 PM
  • god i cant thank you enough for this information, you and the other people on this forum where more help then the tech help at microsoft ijust cant thank you enough
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:14 AM
  • Hey Mr. Moses.

Thnx for the solution.  Its working.  I tried out in Vist Home premium.

Thank u

Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:10 AM
  • HI taseme163

Thank you so much.

My friend has come across same situation...

After long troubleshoot.... your method succeeded.

Thanks alot. I guess this method of restoration is very useful... for most of situations.

Friday, June 22, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Oh Thanx very much!!!!

Now I got my Control Panel "Windows Explorer has stopped working" problem fixed also because of NancyM137's message about .cpl files!!!

It turnes out to be a file with the name ALSNDMGR.cpl. This file seems to come from RealTek. It was installed by Driver Detective along with a RealTek driver for my sound card.

Thank you!

Best

Eigil

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Here's what I did that worked for me:

Go to the Internet Explorer icon on you desk top, right click on it, and go down to "open file location", it should be the second one down.

You will see a Windows Explorer window pop up and in it will be another Internet Explorer icon.  Right click on the icon and select the "run without add-ons" option. 

Once it opens, go to Tools, select Internet Options, then go to the Progams tab and click on manage add-ons.

At the top of the window is a button with the word 'show' in front of it.  Pick the option that says "Add-ons that have been used by internet explorer" and a list of add-ons will come up in the window below the button.  You have to click on each one individually and then click on disable at the bottom of the window.  Once they are all disabled, click OK twice.  You will get a message that says you may have to restart explorer.

Once I did this, I could open it again from the icon on the desktop.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! 

I only wish I would have found this information two "Formats" ago...

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:57 AM
  • yo, You are Fu**ing AWESOME! thank you i thought i had to Restart my Laptop! Phew! I am so Glad. What Can I Say Thanks Big Smile Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

D. McGlone
    Friday, June 29, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I did this on my friend's laptop, but I didn't do it in safe mode.  I tried everyone else's solutions, but to no avail.  I typed in "msconfig" in the task manager and started the system restore from there.  Luckily the restore point was just 2 days ago and the problem started yesterday!
    Monday, July 02, 2007 12:11 AM
  • NANCY YOU ARE A STAR!!!!!

I removed Firebird2Control.cpl from the System 32 folder AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!

I put it in the c:/ folder just in case i need it later..... Does that sound right?

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:02 PM
  • For DELL customer just do pc restore
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:18 PM
  • I have this same problem. Suddendly I got a message from www.feelsecured.com indicating that my computer is infected by Trojan SPM/LX, I started to run McAfee scan it detected 2 infections by now. Probably it is a virus infection but it has been a headache to open the antivirus.
    Saturday, July 07, 2007 7:42 PM
  • I have been seeing this Windows Explorer error for a while now as I work in the IT industry. This is not Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer, two totally separate programs with similar names. Windows Explorer controls things like open windows, desktop icons and the task bar and that is why these refresh whenever explorer restarts. Typically, calls I get related to this issue are from people who have new PCs with Vista and they were using the free trial from McAfee or Norton and no extra spyware protection. By the time I get called about the issue, their trial version had expired a week or two ago or they never bothered to schedule a scan and update the program to begin with and now they have SpyLocked/SpyCrush/SecurityToolbar, etc installed on their PCs. These are known spyware programs and can result in corruption or infection of valid Windows files.

For those of you who've had this since unboxing their PC (you haven't downloaded anything to your computer yet, I assume, otherwise you've probably picked up spyware), I'm not sure what might be causing it but as your system is new you can reinstall Vista and it should be fine. It's not like you had any files on your PC yet and this will give you a clean install.

For everyone else who's been running Vista a while or just upgraded XP to Vista, the easiest solution is to run System Restore and restoring to a date when the problem didn't occur. The key for any of this is to get the Task Manager open and stop the explorer.exe file. Then you can click new task and run "C:/" and proceed from there. If you can get to his page you can look up anything I'm mentioning here for where it's located in the Vista file system. Removing the dll or cpl file may cause Vista to not work correctly even if it fixes the Windows Explorer issue.

Since you can access the c: drive now, you can also go to the Program Files directory and run any security software you trust that you have installed or open Internet Explorer to download new ones. I like Avast! and Ad-Aware if you don't know any good programs. Make sure they're updated and that you scan at least once a week as well. This may remove any issues right away and then you won't have problems in the future. On a service like this I may run 5 or 6 different security tools to fully clean a system in safe mode.

If that doesn't work I'd recommend the "sfc /scannow" or "chkdsk /r" commands with the operating system or recovery disk in the drive to repair any infected or corrupted files. You may have to open the command prompt to do this by clicking new task again and typing "cmd" to open the window. These will take the clean files from the CD and fix the ones on the hard drive. Again, update and rerun your security software.

A number of the other solutions listed in other posts here will probably also do the trick but may not be as safe and cause more issues. Certainly one of these solutions will. This is a virus/spyware problem so if you don't have the three main types of security programs updated and scanning (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall) you will be infected at some point or another. I just started a scan on a PC and it had already found two trojans and 2 adware so they must be removed prior to fixing operating system files and this explorer error.

Good luck!
    Saturday, July 07, 2007 9:54 PM
  • This fixed my problem.  Does anyone know why it suddenly started??  I've had the Notebook since May with no problems until today.
    Sunday, July 08, 2007 3:10 AM
  • Hey, I Have A New Windows Vista Premium Laptop, And I Know The Problem!!!
    If You Have Downloaded Something Recently (Even If Its Important, Except If Its NortonAnti Virus or something) Delete It. Or Especially If Its called "SpyLocked" its the main Thing Which Gives you Immovable Trojan and Christmas Tree Viruses!!! NEVER DOWNLOAD THAT!!!

Thank You!
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:36 AM
  • My Wifes new Acer started doing the same thing tonight.  She had installed a Logictech webcam that on the box stated Windows Vista compatible.  I wound up haveing to do the Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager and then New Task of C:\ and going to my computer and then control panel.  Then to back up / restore and doing a back of to before she installed the web cam software.  It seemed to fix the problem.  I will be taking the web cam back to the store and sending an E-mail to Logictech about the problem. 

Dave

Friday, July 13, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Hi Moses,

Thanks a zillion....Smile The solution worked.....

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:54 PM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Just bought a new Laptop with Win Vista  worked fine till i started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just loops over and over so i cant access anything on my laptop

i tried to do a system restore from the boot up but it says i have no restore points, Please someone tellme how to fix this!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:15 AM
  • Dear All,

I have tried the methods from page 1 until page 7 but still can't solve my problem. My vista business keep showing me "Windows Explorer has stopped", "Windows explorer restarting" whenever execute the windows explorer. Vista with windows explorer error is like a stroke machine. It's very irritating. I just purchased Ibm x-series laptop for more than a week and the error message has hit me. I only installed microsoft office 2000 and sysmantec anti-virus 10.2.  

I really hope that microsoft technical staff can make an annoucement and provide solution abt this issue. We paid the software price but help them to diagnose the problems.  Really really upset.

May I get someone to help me...Please...please....

Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Hi   I used ur method but it didn't work
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:08 PM
  • My problem is similar, with some differences--
    -doesn't loop continuously, just when R-click desktop, click File in Explorer, or use a few programs (one is AdAware, but SpyBot works).  Not problem with IE, just MS Explorer.
    -Have tried practically everything suggested in this thread, except for complete re-install.

The problem started after working correctly for several weeks, and a few days after a LotusNotes install. A web search did not show up any known conflicts with Lotus & Vista.

No viruses or trojans, no new .exe, .dll, or .cpl files that could explain the change.

I have Vista Home Premium (pre-installed) on a new Dell XPS M1210, Intel Core 2 CPU 2.00 GHz, 2038 MB Ram.

As with everyone on this thread, I am at my wits' end.  Who has the solution?????  My never-ending gratitude!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:08 PM
  • It sounds a bit weird but after i installed k-lite codec pack, my windows explorer turn to normal. No problem at all. It may be coincident but my laptop so far working well for 3 days. I will post again if I hit the same problem.

Good luck guys !

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:19 AM
  • HI, FOLKS! (ESPECIALLY MICROSOFT DWEEBS, IF YA'LL READ THIS THING, AND IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE YOU ARE...)

BUT I'M HAVING THE SAME FRIGGIN' PROBLEM AS IS EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW BUYING A NEW CRAPTOP WITH VISTA ON IT...NOT ONE PERSON I'VE MET HAS HAD A GOOD THING TO SAY ABOUT IT...IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE ME GO MAC, AND I HATE MAC!

SO, FOLKS AT MICROSOFT, LISTEN UP...I HAVE READ ALL THES GOOD FOLKS COMMENTS, ALL WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, AND YES, I HAVE IT TOO AND A FEW OTHER PROBLEMS AS WELL, ALL MS VISTA RELATED, AND IT SHOULDN'T TAKE THIS MANY COMPLAINTS OR THIS MANY NICE FOLKS TRYING TO DO YOUR MICROSOFT JOB OF FINDING A DOZEN POTENTIAL WAYS TO SOLVE THIS, AND ALL WITHOUT CERTAINTY OF SUCCESS... 

MICROSOFT- READ THESE, AND KNOW THAT YOUR SOFTWARE IS SERIOUSLY FLAWED.

SPEND SOME TIME AND MONEY ON IT, (WE  KNOW YA' HAVE IT!!) AND THEN, HAVE ONE OF THOSE AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADING PATCHES FIX IT WHEN WE NEXT SIGN ON, SO IT'S DONE, RIGHTEOUSLY AND PROPERLY AS IS YOUR JOB, DUTY AND OBLIGATION TO THE PEOPLE UPON WHOM YOU'VE FORCED THIS PREMATURELY LAUNCHED SOFTWARE.

OTHERWISE, YOU REALLY SHOULD BE TAKEN TO COURT AND SUED FOR THE MILLIONS OF HOURS AND DOLLARS FOLKS LOST, ARE LOSING AND WILL LOSE UNTIL YOU GET THIS ISSUE FIXED....

sorry for the caps, didn't think you'd read it otherwise, maybe your eyes hurt from looking at the screen so much, and THAT'S WHY YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT VISTA SUCKS AND NEEDS FIXIN' OR KILLIN', whew... all the rest of ya'll out there, sorry about that....i get mighty irritated when i see the little people getting shat upon by the big man, who seems so complacent from his riches, he doesn't care... at least before, he made money giving something good to the people, now...well, i've said it enough, haha! saludos to those sufferin', and to those whom fix it!

hawke sends

:-)

>>---->

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:51 PM
  • i have windows vista on  my pc and i do have the same problem and know how i got it DO NOT INSTALL ACTIVE X from videos or anything into ur pc thats wot i done and now i have he vrus pro which i didnt no about and it is a virus cover up

to solve the problem press F8 when restatarting

then go down to repair my pc not safe mode

then it nwill say repair windows start windows restore and windows memeory diagnostics go and restore it from here

hope this help if u still have problems email me on endzo_16@hotmail.co.uk

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:24 AM
  •  

JUST USE YOUR VISTA DISC TO RESTOYOUR PC AND ALL WILL BE OK

Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:34 AM
  •  

Hey guys,

I encountered this problem, last night and have been spending practically all morning trying to fix this problem, 5 minutes ago i read that upon restarting your computer and pressing F8, you can find the option of restoring your computer to a previous time, i was not sure as i managed to do this in safe mode and it did not work, but this option SO FAR (5 minutes) has managed to work for me. Hopefully it stays ok

Give it a crack and good luck! Surely microsoft will respond to this major issue soon

Monday, July 30, 2007 1:01 AM
  • Thanks for your help man, I had worked on this dam thing for two F'vn days now.

Thanks,
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:20 AM
  • try to do a msconfig from safe mode.....

if doesnot help try and reinstall the operating stytem....

thanx...

Friday, August 03, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi, Pls install trojanremover from www.majorgeeks.com... and run it.It will surely help you get rid of this problem.

I had the same problem and got it resolved.It is a 30 day trial version ..so just goahead

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:41 PM
  • use trojanremover 6.6.2 from www.majorgeeks.com .It is a 30 day trial software to remove trojan virus.

I had the same problem and it was resolved.Just try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:45 PM
  •  

Guys here is the resolution for this problem<windows explorer has stopped working>,

Please follow these steps

1.Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and go to Task Manager-->go to Run-->New Task-->Type "appwiz.cpl" Press Enter

2.It'll open a  window called "Programs and Features" Scroll Down to highlight the file "Windows Safety Alerts or Windows Security Alerts "  then click on Uninstall.

Note:It will restart the nb

3.If same problem once again means do follw steps 1 & 2 once again   90% it will fix the problem..

OR

Still if not fixing means

4.Run the Virus scan and del  all the files like virus spywares malwares..

5.If u people facing the problem after installing any software, please uninstall the particular software and follow the steps 1.2.3

Reg,

Karthik

Monday, August 06, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Thank you for this post.  This fixed my problem as well.   The offending file in my case was Firebird2Control.cpl

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:36 AM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Just bought a new Laptop with Win Vista  worked fine till i started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just loops over and over so i cant access anything on my laptop

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Hi Todd, (BBHELP)

I tried your fix but when I tried to end the process you suggested I was given the error 'The operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process'.

Am I doing something wrong?

John

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:51 AM
  • This solution worked a treat - many thanks!

Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:23 PM
  • thanks a lot it worked for me

Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:12 PM
  • thank you the advice you gave solved everything thank you

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:45 PM
  • Hi Todd.
    I followed your instructions but was not allowed to end the system idle process.
    What now?
    Cheers,  BAsil

Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I've had a refurbished eMachines pc with Windows Vista for about a week now and last night I started getting that same error message. I tried using System Restore but the looping effect prevented me from running it, and then I hadn't established any restore points yet. Ultimately, it appears that the user has to re-format their hard drive, which is what I did. Now, everything seems to be fine *knock on wood*.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:54 PM
  • This works. I now stop sweating and go and enjoy the beer you suggest.

Well done and thanks

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:16 PM
  • This works. I can now stop sweating and go and enjoy the beer you suggest.

Well done and thanks

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I also tried running IE as administrator. The symptom did not appear, but it also did not fix the problem, because I'm not willing to go through the pain of running IE as administrator every time.

FIXES TO MY PROBLEM -- AND I HAD A REALLY UNSTABLE SYSTEM

1) There appear to be a number of Outlook and IE toolbars that are not compatible under Vista. They've created absolute hell for me just to figure out what's wrong. Try disabling suspected toolbars for IE and Outlook and disable ActiveX plug-ins for IE. Then enable them one by one. I haven't found a problem with any Microsoft toolbars or ActiveX controls. My culprits, I believe, were Skype (a totally useless toolbar, anyway -- what were they thinking?), and LinkedIn, and some others. I was told by HP that OmniPage is a mess, too (whatever it is).

2a) I turned of McAffee Firewall, Virus, Scanner, and all the other utilities it loads (hunt through the UI, it's hard to find everywhere to turn this stuff off.) Then, go into msconfig and uncheck anything related to McAfee. Use Windows Firewall and Windows Defender instead and just forget about loading a virus scanner. I haven't found one that actually works, and I've tried the 5 or so of them recommended by Microsoft. I think (yes, I really do think this) that virus scanning is overrated. Be careful which files you open (I may regret this later, but this has been my method for 5 years now. With a firewall, I feel safe, and I have been for 5 years. No viruses on my old machine)

2b) THIS PART WAS THE KEY TO MY SOLUTION: Out of desparation I rebooted in Safe Mode, not having a clue and not planning to unload and reload drivers, etc. one by one. Was just going to see if the system worked. It did work. Perfectly. Not really a surprise.

2c) Reboot normally. I have absolutely no problems now. None. And I had big problems:

- Network wouldn't connect after coming out of sleep.

- IE routinely crashing

- Explorer hanging

- Outlook routinely crashing

- Search Indexer no longer spins up out of control and uses 50% of my processor power.

- Computer freezing. Mouse pointer, clock second hand frozen. Keyboard non-functional. Basically, no input/output from the console. Had to do a hard reset in these situations.

- Many, many other problems. By my estimation, I spent 20 to 30 hours a week over two months dealing with Vista issues. Now, I have absolutely no problem.

My symptom was continually having Outlook or IE stop responding (like, 3-5 times a day). However, I did experience a continual loop as described in some posts. Eventually they exited as long as IE or Outlook did not hang.  My hanging symptom sounds somewhat like the infitnite loop referred to in these posts, so I'm posting here.

OPINION

What do you think the economic cost to the country is of having been hoodwinked into buying a beta product? The cost is in billions when you consider business sytem downtime, lost personal productivity, people yelling at each other out of aggravation, support personnel at the ends of their ropes, etc. Vista is pretty close to a train wreck, if not in it's overall performance (it's bad, but maybe not a train wreck),  then in the execution of its delivery and the effect on the human beings who have to use it. HP tells me to call MS. MS tells me that yes, it's their operating system, but the OEM vendor is responsible. Would love to see some accountability on this one, but MS has to care enough to drive it.

Remember the bumper sticker that people would put on the old Bell Telephone trucks? "We don't care. We don't have to."

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:46 AM
  • ANYONE PLEASE HELP
    i have the same issue and it started two days ago. Windows explorer crashes evere 10 min or so and instantly when i go into control panel or my computer. What is intersting is that i have not installed any programs or drivers in a week. instead THE PROBLEM STARTED AFTER I INSTALLED VARIOUS "IMPORTANT" UPDATES FROM MICROSOFT. so i dont know what to blame except microsoft and the OS itself!. no viruses. no drivers. no programs.. but windows update. i have tried everything, system restore, uninstalling those updates, disabling user account control, ran anti-virus, everything nothing has worked if anyone knows of another solution please help thanks! 

AND BY the way, once they get vista right and without problems, seriosly i will never get another version of windows. its too hard for microsoft to jsut get it right. i mean as of now xp seems more stable than vista, and vista has already been out for 6 months!! is ridiculous that microsoft advertised improved security. but i highly doubt that when windows explorer itself can be damaged so easily. this didnt even happen in xp. its like they are going backwards.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:53 AM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:41 AM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:41 AM
  • Exacty same problem here. Just bought a new Laptop with Win Vista  worked fine till i started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just keeps looping over.

Possible reason might be Nero, but not too sure. Microsoft is quick on charging 100's $$$ and whinge when someone makes pirated copies, but if their products are going to be like this, they probably are worth $5.00. Big mistake buying this piece of *** Vista.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:33 AM
  • WANT DO I DO?

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I did what ssrac said. I went to internet options clicked on advanced tab then clicked on reset then reset again, i let it do it's thing all wala I am able to use it again without any problem. yayy thanks! I just got this computer yesterday, I was furious when the pop up thing started happening.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 8:24 AM
  • I had a similar problem with my hp laptop...everytime i opened control panel explore.exe would restart.  I checked the event logs and found that the HP quicklaunch module was causing the crash.  I uninstalled the quicklaunch software and it works fine now.  This might not help much, but i believe, at least with the control panel issue that there may be some third party management software that may be causing the problem.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:06 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! You are AWESOME.. I've been dealing with this for 3 days now &

DELL wanted to charge me $125 just for helping me check on my software over the phone.

I did just as you said and found the lil bugger under fwjgtk.dll.

THANKS AGAIN! You are a Life Saver!

Sunday, August 26, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I had this problem on a brand new computer loaded with Windows VISTA premium., could not open a single program for a very frustrating week.! 

I could not open system restore from the start menu so i was completely stumped. - however .....

Shut down computer - then power up and immediately press F8 key repeatedly until safe mode menu is on screen - select option Start using a command - be patient and wait for dos screen -  type in rstrui -  wait for the restore page - select choose a restore date - wait - enter a restore date ( one that you are confident the system was working perfectly) - wait for the system to shut down and reboot - Success problem solved.

What caused this problem is unknown - still investigating.

Thanks to the original author my problem is resolved - thanks again. 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Thank you.

I really really thanks to you,James2(0_0)7 .

Ton of Thanks.

Friday, August 31, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Guys - this really isn't exactly just a software bug.  I just verifed the same problem on a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop and low and behold it's a nasty little virus.  While it's true that you can end the process on the explorer.exe - it may be that the issue continuously occurs when you restart the explorer process - which you need to be able to function on the desktop normally.  Most likely you will need to verify that that a virus isn't causing the problem.  In this case there were a couple of Trojan Horses and one in particular dropped a .dll that I believe was causing the problem - i was able to verify in the set of processes a process that was running that looked out of place.  The antivirus caught the rogue dll in addition to the other trojans etc... and it stopped on the reboot.  Because the explorer was continuing to restart which would cause open windows to shutdown (this was happening every 3-5 seconds) i had to end the explorer process - but i was able to install an antivirus and ran the scans.  I haven't quite figured out how the is getting by in the registry (windows restore is turned off).  Nonetheless the windows explorer process has corrected itself for now.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 4:41 AM
  •  

I do not get the option for recovery mode when I press F8.   I get every kind of 'safe mode' and several other options but no recovery mode.   This computer is only 2 weeks old and belongs to my teenage son.  I am going to attempt using his recovery disk that came with the computer.   I will be sticking with XP on my computer, however, because I don't trust VISTA!
    Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:15 PM
  •  

I am getting the dialog box "Windows Explorer has stoped working" and

hpqwmiex module stoped working  Messages.... 

I am not able to see the Desktop icons like Start button and other icons .. Please help me

Monday, September 03, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Just bought a new Laptop with Win Vista  worked fine till i started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just loops over and over so i cant access anything on my laptop

same problem!

looking for the reply solution.........

USMCSKI wrote:

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 2:34 AM
  •  

reinstall the operating system thats about it
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:40 AM
  • please tell me how to fix this problem thanks

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:25 PM
  • when you boost you ment to delete a virusscan pro program from your pc and try avoiding going to internet this makes it worst but if you have norton anti virus scanner it wont detect this virus its a spyware which send you that error message covering  the spyware try and delete the program VIRUS SCAN PRO thats what i did and mine is working fine now but norton isnt up to date you downloaded somthing without nowing that got inside your pc now it could be a video on web or a email from unknown person.

good luck if not delete all things that you installed on ur pc that might be related clean it up

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:08 PM
  •  

Hi i hope you can help me. This dell latitude has that problem. I can't do nothing with it. ctrl alt del doesn't do a thing. It just keeps looping. I'm not real tech savvy, but i can follow instructions. The xp login screen comes up, but nothing else works. ctrl alt del doesn't even turn it off. You can't type nothing in.
    Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:49 PM
  •  

Thank you soooo much.  My daughter had only had her laptop since May, 2007.  Today it started the looping.  It would start up to fast you could not get anywhere on the computer.  The key thing is to STOP "explorer.exe" through the Task Manager.  It took us only 1 1/2 hours to resolve our problem.  Thanks again. 

Dana

Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:17 PM
  • This is really troublesome.Once I have started my laptop with vista enabled same irritating window windows explorer has stopped working coming.I think Microsoft should do an instant action as i m unable to do anything.Vista is truely a failure..

Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:45 PM
  • I have theh same exact problem. can anyone help?

New Laptop with Win Vista  worked fine till i started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just loops over and over so i cant access anything on my laptop

Monday, September 10, 2007 1:21 AM
  • PAY ATTENTION TO FILES ON THE DESKTOP!

For those who have tried everything previously mentioned in this thread and still have had no luck, try examining any files on the desktop and deleting them if you suspect they could be triggering Vista's windows explorer to loop for some unknown reason. Pay special attention to any incomplete files from P2P programs that could be corrupted. Deleting LimeWire Pro's incomplete downloads folder on my desktop solved this problem for me! This could have also been related to the ZIP file folder naming issue mentioned in bi9ary's post on page 5 of this thread, but I can't be sure. Anyway, hope this helps, good luck everyone!

Cheers,

Night_80
    Monday, September 10, 2007 9:30 AM
  •  

UNINSTALL YOUR MESSENGER TOOL BAR (YAHOO OR GOOGLE TOOLBAR)
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Thanks sooooooooo much, your the best

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Windows Vista Home Basic

I just got a brand new pc with Windows Vista Home Basic and I got the same error first day I set it up which was yesterday. The problem turned out to be a program I installed from a disc called I/OMAGIC DATABANK software. Running compatability doesn't work. The trick is to choose nothing and close it and then it's a trial and error game of being quicker than it is since it pops up every 5 seconds. Keep closing it and go to Start/Control Panel and uninstall. If you haven't set it up yet, you'll have to set up the program and uninstall from it. All I can tell you is I looked everywhere for an answer first yesterday and restored to before installing anything of mine. As I resetup, I installed things one at a time until I hit on the one program that whacked out Vista. Good luck and I hope this helps you discover what is causing your error.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Thanks a lot  NancyM137.  My case is exactly the same.  Removed Firebird2Control.cpl and the problem with Control Panel gone!

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:22 AM
  • Hi

This is a known issue and a bug within Windows vista. Microsoft is going to release the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 shortly which will resole this issue. Its unfortunate that we have to wait for some more time to get this software update.

Regards

Himanshu Dogra

MCSE

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:06 PM
  • get rid of firefox and thunder bird browser this stopped my problem also a good free antivirus is p.c. tools, or bit defender, both are free, steve

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:53 AM
  • Does anyone have the solution to this problem? Getting desperate now.

Monday, September 24, 2007 10:14 AM
  •  

hey u can actually work on this i have poststed a reply for the same so if u could just see my post by the name Kabir_tyagi u will see the solution to it and also try to hold ctrl+alt+del to exit frm this loop its a spyware...revert

Friday, September 28, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Firebird the culprit here too.
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:50 PM
  •  

I tried this and got a message with a 'bong' that the operation could not be completed and that the operation was not valid for this process.  Any other suggestions?
    Tuesday, October 02, 2007 1:52 AM
  • It sounds like this forum has many reports of DELL computers having this problem. So, let me give you all a run-down on what has been happening to my DELL system. I purchased a DEL XPS 710 (big honkin' black & alluminum PC with cool led lights on it). It came with XP Media Center 2005. Not long after I had issues with Windows Defender not working (Error message: "Windows Defender User Interface Has Stopped Working") All I could do was hit the "OK" button. Very soon after I noticed that I could not open Windows Security Center either. I could open the Firewall, and still get Auto-Updates.

After spending a Saturday with Microsoft Support on the phone for 4 hours and Dell support for another 2 hours the answer was, "This is a new error, and we have no record of this situation. Maybe you should do a fresh install of the O.S." Well, I did that like 10 times already and sooner or later this problem would return. It was even suggested by MS Support to not download any Optional MS Updates either - only stick with the Mandatory Updates. My guess is that .NET Framework had smething to do with thie re-uccuring problem - but I am far, far from being an expert on this.

I got tired of this problem, and since I could not find any faulty hardware with a diagnostics test, Dell didn't care to send a tech over to check it out or send me a new XPS. Therefore, I downloaded Vista Home Premium from MS Marketplace. 3 days later I get - yep, you guessed it, "Windows Defender User Interface Has Stopped Working", and a few minutes later when I clicked on a JPEG to view it I got, "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working..." And then I finally got the Sidebar Error too.

I then Re-installed Vista, and for 3 weeks it has been smooth sailing until last Friday when I first got the Windows Defender error and then on Monday the lovely Windows Explorer. I am just waiting for the Sidebar Error to show up any minute.

Now to clear things up I do not have issues with INTERNET Explorer, and I can even open my C and D drives and view the folder's contents. It's only when I try to open a file I get a long lag and then the Windows Explorer has stopped working error.

As of now I have tried most of the suggestions on this 10 page forum EXCEPT the DLL issue and the Right Click "run as administrator". I am 99% sure that this is not a Virus issue. And I find this interesting that Windows Defender is what I get first and then followed by Windows Explorer Error.

Late yesterday Vista popped up a little bubble in my task bar and it was an error log repert that my PC was experiencing problems that could be due to hardware, like RAM (i will attach the actuall message when I get home today).

I plan on seeing this problem through and giving a full report just incase any one else has these similar problems too.

Is everyone else only getting the "Windows Explorer" error? Or are some of you having Windows Defender issues too?

Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:14 PM
  •  htown wrote:
    Have the same problem. New desktop brand new out of the box. started getting the exact error mssg. Tried system restore through Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore all within the 5 second window that you have before the error "windows explorer has stopped working" knocks you off. Also tried turning User ID off, no luck. Also went into safe mode after turning User ID off and doing a "system restore", no luck! Please help.
    Sunday, October 07, 2007 9:41 AM
  • I've been wrestling with problem too. Occurs for me when opening files from disc drive or opening video files in media player. I downloaded ffdshow tryout from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ and the problem seems to have been resolved. So probably a codec issue for me as mentioned above.

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Hopefully this helps someone out.

I downloaded a video (.mov) to my desktop when I noticed that it was happening.

When the desktop would come back up it would immediately crash and reboot (and repeat).

I didn't see the new file on my desktop so I started cmd.exe with a shortcut that I already had, browsed to:

C:\Users\MyUser\Desktop and I could see the file.

I deleted it through the command prompt and the problem is gone.

Good Luck

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Thank you Pauly1974, that worked like a charm for me-
    For me, it was the K Lite Codec pack that was causing all the trouble, I followed your instructions, found it was the last thing I installed before the trouble started, uninstalled it and bingo- back to business.
    Thanks for taking the time to post your solution!
    I hope it helps someone else-
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:13 PM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

HAS ANYONE GOT A FIX FOR THIS??

THANKS

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Hi

I had this problem for last 2 months that if i open one or two windows continuously,windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting .....

Please solve the problem...

Regards,

Bala

Mob.No:-9980047055..

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Hi all, Basically i'm using Windows Vista since from the first day the OS arrived in Asia. Well,at first i tried the illegal but then i decide to use the original licensing onto my two notebook which is Dell Inspiron 6400 and Toshiba Sattelite M200 Adv. Both also come with Windows Vista but it was only Home Basic and Premium.So what the heck,i bought two Windows Vista Business Aero since the rumors said that it was a powerfull OS. But as you guys said always have an error.The error occured after i used for 2 month period and 4 month period. Since the microsoft didn't give any spport although have a windows update function which is for me have a bad and good facilities.But somehow seems like they didn't bother at all about end users problem unlike Macintosh. So i degrade one of my notebook to Windows XP Pro as it was more more stable platform then Windows Vista (Any version).Now running fine for that machine and only left one that i am trying until now to clarify why it happened to all of us.

So i have downloaded several link that might help, but when i have finished download it.It said that the file is not applicable for my system which is Windows Vista Business. So i think something wrong isn't?But anyway, i'm moving to another platform which is not Microsoft Windows and more stable after new release of it's version.So guy's think about the prospect of our professionalism and also the intergrity of our needs in ICT daily.

Genjuro39

note: Here i provide u some sample link which cannot be aply to my system. Anyone have any idea where went wrong?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3FB80BB9-D832-425B-B42C-D3EB2071BBEC&displaylang=en

Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:19 AM
  • Have the same problem. New desktop brand new out of the box. started getting the exact error mssg. Tried system restore through Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore all within the 5 second window that you have before the error "windows explorer has stopped working" knocks you off.

Please help
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:02 PM
  • This didn't help me. Where you thinking this was going to help with the "Windows has stopped working..........." issue?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Hello Nakata,

The most likely cause is that the update is already installed.

Hope this Helps,

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:56 PM
  • In my case too,  I removed Firebird2Control.cpl from system.32  everything work just fine.

Open C drive

Open Windows

Open system 32 an look for Firebird2control.cpl,  cut and paste to another file and everything will work.

Friday, December 07, 2007 6:06 AM
  • Hi understand your problem work around, make sure you are using the latest ide/sata control drivers and wireless internet drivers this issue is not totally down to microsoft.

Dan, VPE

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:26 PM
  • I have the same problem too (see below).....if anyone has the answer to fix this please let me know!

I get this message randomly when entering windows explorer (i.e. - browsing folders & it occurs enough to drive me crazy!).  I also get the window following this error that says it is trying to fix the problem but then shuts down all my windows explorer sessions that I have open.  This is VERY annoying!  I have a brand new HP Pavilion less then 2 days old running Windows VISTA Home Premium that was loaded on the PC when I bought it.  I have no viruses, and this is NOT an upgrade of Vista but rather a clean install from HP. 

Can anyone help me with this?  My best guess is that it is obviously somethting in WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM that is causing this.  I working on/with computers on a daily basis and for a living.  I have not spent to much time on this problem but it seems to me Microsoft should come up with an patch to fix this known issue for their customers. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I prefer not to do a system restore and lose all my settings and also do not want to talk to the PC tech support reps at HP who will most likely lead me down the wrong path.

Thanks!!!

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Press ctrl+alt+del

go to file - click on new task (run )---
    type mrt----
    run a complete scan---
    once finished start ur computer---
    go to control panel---
    uninstall a program---
    remove windows security alert----
    restart----

it will work fine ....

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:38 PM
  • The system will not allow you to stop system processes.  The best way to handle this malware problem is to do a system restore to a last known good config. 

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:40 PM
  • I have had the same problem with my new HP desktop. I have tried several malware scans and other suggestions to no avail. 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 2:02 AM
  • I have the same problem on my new HP Desktop. I have tried all the suggestions on all posts I could find to no avail.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:24 AM
  • I have the same problem.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:26 AM
  • I have tried all posted solutions and I still have the problem on a new HP desktop that came with Vista. This is a Vista bug and Microsoft should get a fix oiut asap.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:30 AM
  • I don't know if you ever got this problem resolved, but through a lot of painstaking PD, I determined the problem on my Windows XP machine to be caused by a Microsoft product called DigitalPersona Password Manager.  Once I was able to stop a DPAgent.exe via MSCONFIG, and kept it from coming up during startup, I was able to get Control Panel to come up.  I deinstalled the Password Manager code and then returned everything to normal, and my machine started working fine, including Windows Explorer, My Computer, and Control Panel.  Just thought I would pass it along.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 7:45 PM
  • I used what you suggested.  It worked except Windows Explorer files/documents were displayed on the screen but the name "Windows Explorer" was not displayed at the top of the screen nor could I restore the shortcut on the desktop so I'm temporarily using "My Documents" as the shortcut.  This is so frustrating!  The shortcut on the desktop stopped accessing Windows Explorer and going through start>all programs>accessories>windows explorer drew a blank.  This all started when the cat decided to take a nap on the keyboard and hit some keys....

Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:46 PM
  • mine problem was same. I failed to understand What I do? symtoms are as following

roblem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Explorer.EXE

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16549

Application Timestamp: 46d230c5

Fault Module Name: CLMedia.dll

Fault Module Version: 2.0.0.1914

Fault Module Timestamp: 43118e4f

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 00003fb6

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 16393

Additional Information 1: d6aa

Additional Information 2: 550813108d42c370043e28bb37aac5af

Additional Information 3: d6aa

Additional Information 4: 550813108d42c370043e28bb37aac5af

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 532731483

what I do ? plz help me.
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:40 PM
  •  

i need help

i bought a new computer

hp a6142n pavillion with media center

home prenuim edition

when i want to watch the vidioes i uploaded or pictures

windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting LOOP!

would anyone help me

i bought it a t futureshop

no windows vista cd

what do i do

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:06 AM
  • I tried all the solutions posted here, and none of them worked! So i turned off my computer by HOLDING the power button and when it rebooted, I chose to go into safe mode. There, Windows explorer worked! So I went into control panel, and uninstalled the program that was making my computer do that WE problem. (or if you don't know what the program that is making it do it is, then move everything to youre desktop while its working.)Then I rebooted my computer (this time by the proper way) and it worked! Please e-mail me if you have any questions. hayd1234@gmail.com
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:32 AM
  • every time i plug in any usb device windows explorer stops working ...the second i unplug it comes back...whats up?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:23 PM
  • None of the suggestions worked for me until I decided to create a new user with a new name.  Problem went away.  This has worked for other problems even in XP.  Very Respectfully,

Robert Michael Foster, MA at http://RecoveryByDiscovery.com

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:38 PM
  • I have the same problem all you people do but I think mines a little different........
    Mine only comes up with the message in internet explorer but ONLY when I click on a download link or R-click and click on " Save Target As..."
    But whats even stranger I can R-click on a picture and click on "Save Picture As" and it WORKS somehow

P.S. it also comes up randomly every now and then and I get sent back to my home page.
    if someone can come up with a solution for my problem i will pay them $$$

Shannon

("them" is me and only me so i will recieve the grant and only me text STOP to 044747528 if you would like the the subsicuent messages to stop)

Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:27 PM

• Mr. Williamson, You are a Life saver thank you very much for the advise. I did exactly as you said but I could't find system Idle so I just killed explorer. When I restarded as you sugested I experience flawless magic  thanks again.
    As far as Microcashcowsoft dosen't care about their clients maybe we should all consider other OS's? Just a thought....
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Mr Williamson, You are a life saver everything work fine after I executed your suggestions exept that I could't find System Idle but I just killed Explorer that did the trick  thanks a buch.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:18 AM
  • I tried this and i do not have the security clearance to perform this act. What

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:12 AM
  • I tried this and i do not have the security clearance to perform this act.

• I tried this and i do not have the security clearance to perform this act. What can I

• I tried this and i do not have the security clearance to perform this act. What can

• I atempted your solution and i was unable to terminate the process.The operation was not valid.

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:21 AM
  • The system would not allow me to end the 'system idle process' Any suggestions

Thanks

Alistair Thompson

Friday, March 07, 2008 5:12 AM
  •  

thanks that helped. been on it the whole day. Firebird.cpl was the bad apple. cheers
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I've just been throught what most of you have but i did not install anything new all i did was go into a folder that had movie files in it and the hole thing started looping with the error.  I read everywhere with nothing helping, and remembered a fix for something else that cause strange errors so i tried it with explorer and it worked so maybe it will help some of you.

First go into IE by pressing the button untell a window opens up,

then CTRL+ALT+DELETE goto task manager end explorer.exe that stops the loop.. 

now in IE's address bar enter control pannel that should open the control pannel.

goto "SYSTEM" on the left side click "Advanced system settings" click the "Advanced" tab and under Performance click settings. 

Now click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab check the Turn on DEP for all programs and services exept those I select: then click the Add button goto you Windows directry and enter the File name Explorer.exe hit ok.

It will bring up a window asking if you are sure you want to do this, just hit yes or whatever ok's the process.

now reboot and see if it works.

I think vista's DEP causes alot of problems even though its trying to prevent viruses.

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:44 PM
  • My problem has been >Extermenated< and it's simpler than what i thought!
    i downloaded a .3gp video (634KB) and thats when the problems started.
    The looping message "windows explorer has stopped working"
    i have tried everything in the post...Thats everything.
    But the soloution that worked for me was on that wasn't there.
    luckily for me, when i download a file using firefox it downloads it straight to the desktop, and the video file  was definetly the problem that caused this LOOP of errors.

What did i do?
    Simple. Quickly and swiftly move the video file to the recycle bin.
    and before you know it, the messages stop! Smile

Thanks to all the help in this forum.
           I hope i helped you.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:04 AM
  • hey, i know this sounds stupid, but i have this problem loads, and deleting files on my desktop solves it everytime. its fairly dificult to delete them, as the second u start to drag it to recycle bin, it crashes. but if u can drag the last picture/vid u downloaded onto ur desktop/comp into the recycle bin, then (atleast for me) it solves it!
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Hey,

This problem has been bugging pple for a very LONG TIME!!!

But thanks everyone! All contributed to helping me! Esp. the person who posted about the download video on the desktop. It got me thinking....

I used the ctrl alt del to terminate the looping. use task manager new task to access c:\ and went to c:\users\[My User]\desktop and it crash right infront of me. That's when I know for sure that shortcuts must had been screwed.

So when back to task manager...new task....cmd.exe. when command prompt come on, use it to go back to c:\users\[My User]\desktop again and del *.lnk as i do not know which is the defective link. I can always recreate the links after that.

hope this helps other.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Hi, I am having this problem, but I cant find the 'system idle process' and was wondering if you could email me at gpschich07@yahoo.com or if you had an aim(aol instant messenger) to help me through it.

Thank you

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:39 AM
  •  

I tried doing this, but it says that Explorer.exe could not be found
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:53 PM
  • I installed Vista SP1 yesterday, 03-24-08, and now Windows Explorer "has stopped working" more than ever. I cannot work with my picture files because Windows Explorer keeps shutting down.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:44 PM
  • You must change to your windows directory usually c:\windows and it should be there.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:19 AM
  • My mothers late '07 Gateway laptop does this. Its happened numerous times now, I just got done reinstalling Vista once again. It has happened before SP1 and after. It seems to be completely random. It has happened when Ive closed Firefox, downloded video to the desktop, etc.

For me, I cant press control-alt-del before the loop starts upon getting to the desktop after a reboot. There is just no time for me to do so. Im completely shut out of the machine almost as soon as I get to the desktop. One time upon turning off the machine and coming back two hours later, it seemed to fix itself. However most times a complete reinstall was needed.

Ive tried repairs, last good conifg, and sys restore, with no luck.

Has anyone found a smoking gun yet?

This is absurd. Im about to go out and get her an OEM copy of XP.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:43 AM
  • WTF!?!?!?!?!? I have the same problem only it comes and goes

When it first happened it wasn't right after I downloaded something it was when I was using a NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) Emulator to play my NES Roms at first I figured it was because the third party emulator was screwing it up but that doesn't really make any sense because I had used that emulator numerous times before without any problems.

Anyway I bit the bullet and deleted the emulator and all my roms but the problem persisted

After that I came here and started trying all the things suggested which of course nothing worked so finally I just said *** it and stopped using this laptop and went back to my old Vaio which will overheat after about 20 minutes of use

After about 2 weeks of suffering with my Vaio I decided to try and fix my new laptop again but when I loaded it up I was delighted to find it was working perfectly again

Since then the problem still happens on occasion and usually for no reason but never for as long and I can usually fix it by shutting off Windows Explorer then restarting it a few times

But I still have no idea what it is I know its not a virus because the problem comes and goes and I don't think its a bad program because it will sometimes happen when my comps just sitting idle with no programs running

If anyone knows whats wrong or can give me a permanent fix please let me know I can be reached at d_niehoff@yahoo.com or here at true_punk@live.com
    Monday, March 31, 2008 2:44 AM
  • check if u copy any folder on ur desktop containing .vob files....due this files that problem may occur
    Saturday, April 05, 2008 12:46 PM
  • I agree that Vista's DEP is causing huge problems.  I tried to burn a DVD today using windows dvd burner.  The program kept shutting down because of DEP.  When I tried to add the dvd burner to a list of exceptions, DEP said that movie maker and dvd burner must run with dep on.  I've googled the problem and lots of people are having trouble with dep with all types of programs.  All the experts offer simplistic solutions like run your virus software to see if there is a problem, buy new software, etc.  NOT Helpful.

No one seems to know how to fix this problem that Microsoft has created.  I can't even use my new computer for the very purpose for which it was purchased.

Do any of you experts have a real solution for this problem?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:20 PM
  • well

ringsignalerРеалтоныSoittoäänetbeltonentonosKlingeltönesuoneriatoquesringtonesringetonerwow goldcellphone ringtones
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:55 PM
  • Hi, i had the same problem and i fixed it by doing the following
    click start
    then control panel
    then appearance and personalisation
    then folder options
    then click the "view" tab
    and then check the box called "always show icons, never thumbnails"
    hope this helped
    this also fixed the "COM Surrogate not working" problem
    hope this helped Smile
    Friday, April 25, 2008 5:15 AM
  • THANKS a lot NancyM137, your solution was right !

In my case, it was about ALSNDMGR.CPL

That's true, this problem started occuring just after I installed the sound card driver...

Seems Vista has a copatibility problem with some (older) control panel applets...

Thanks a lot.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:49 PM
  • i had the same problem. none of the above helped me. i managed to get th laptop online and an icon taskbar said about a solution to the explorer problem! i managed again, to open the dialog box and it presented me with five programs that could cause the windows explorer restaring loop! i remember nero showtime, mpegsplitter, opera, and divx manager! i started unistalling and when i unistalled k-lite codecs the restart stopped!! i hope this will help few people!
    Friday, May 02, 2008 12:15 PM
  • I had the same problem with explorer loop crashing over and over (even after rebooting).  When I figured out what the problem was, I couldn't believe it.

I had a video in a folder in my desktop.  I had encoded it using VLC from a DVD.  I opened it with Windows Media Player, which then automatically downloaded a codec and played the file (there were no problems with playback, so I closed Windows Media Player).  Then I started looking at other folders, and suddenly explorer crashed.  Then explorer started crashing over and over.  I didn't put two and two together, because I've never, ever had the problem of a file simply existing causing a severe malfunction in my windows operating system.  Since my desktop kept disappearing and I could not open an explorer window, I couldn't even delete the file to see if that was what the problem was.  I pulled a weird trick to delete the file.  The following is instructions on how to replicate what I did to access and delete the file.  This problem occurred on a limited account on Windows Vista Home Premium.

1.  Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open "Windows Task Manager."
    2. Go to the "Processes" tab and end task "explorer.exe" to stop the crash cycle.
    3. Click on "Show processes from all users," and enter the administrator password when asked.
    4. Go to the "Applications" tab, click on "New Task...", type in "explorer" and hit "ok."  This actually gives me the administrator's desktop and start bar.
    5. Close Windows Task Manager, then reopen it using CTRL + SHIFT + ESC again to open a "limited" task manager.
    6. Go to the "Applications" tab, click on "New Task...", type in "explorer" and press "ok."  This opens up an explorer window for the "limited" account.
    7. Go to the desktop, open up the folder with the video file in it and delete the file.
    8. In Windows Task Manager, go to the "Processes" tab, click on "Show processes from all users," enter the admin password, then end task "explorer" for User Name "Administrator."  The desktop and start bar will disappear again.
    9. Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC again to open Windows Task Manager, go to the "Applications" tab, press "New Task...", type in "explorer," press enter, and voila, problem is fixed.

Here is what was wrong:  It turns out that when I streamed a DVD to a file located in a folder on the desktop using Videolan's VLC player and then playing it with Windows Media Player, somehow explorer couldn't assess the file properly or something (perhaps trying to make a thumbnail for the file) and kept trying, which resulted in the repeating crashes.  When the file was gone, the problem went away.

NOTE: I have to say that one of the solutions on this page made everything a LOT WORSE and nearly corrupted my windows installation!  When I moved some files out of my Windows\System32 folder and rebooted, windows told me that there had been unauthorized changes to my windows and would not allow my desktop to start.  Thank goodness that I was able to still use CTRL + ALT + DEL, then the "new task" button to open an explorer window to move the files back!  After copying the files back and rebooting, windows told me that my windows was no longer valid and that I had to re-enter my cd key.  I entered my cd-key and that problem was fixed.  Phew!  Be careful about what you remove from your system32 folder!

-Philip
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 5:07 AM
  •  

Ok,  I have found on my Pc with Vista Home Premium, Service pack 1 that  when Windows Explorer stops working, That I have a open folder and Internet Explorer is also opened, and when I close out the folder it will give the message. 

It will not do it unless Internet explorer is opened.  It can be any folder. I found the problem to be a IE 7 add on. Which was the Weather Channel Tool bar.  I disabled the tool bar and no more problems.  enable and problem returns. 

My problem was only when a folder and IE-7 was opened at the same time.  So i just removed the add on.  This problem with Windows Explorer has to do with all kinds on different software, That is running in the back ground or a program loading. 

Hell they may never fix this problem.

Tim

Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  

Ok,  I have found on my Pc with Vista Home Premium, Service pack 1 that  when Windows Explorer stops working, That I have a open folder and Internet Explorer is also opened, and when I close out the folder it will give the message. 

It will not do it unless Internet explorer is opened.  It can be any folder. I found the problem to be a IE 7 add on. Which was the Weather Channel Tool bar.  I disabled the tool bar and no more problems.  enable and problem returns. 

My problem was only when a folder and IE-7 was opened at the same time.  So i just removed the add on.  This problem with Windows Explorer has to do with all kinds on different software, That is running in the back ground or a program loading. 

they may never fix this problem.

Tim

Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:12 PM
  •  

i have the same problem always and i have no ide how to fix it

it is starting to piss me off

Sunday, May 11, 2008 9:52 PM
  • My problems are the same. It includes MS media player. SP1 <=== Can not un-install it, to restore Vista. It will not let me un-install it. Everytime I start media player, it crashes. Then the explorer stops, and restarts. The explorer crashes only when I hit the start menu, and scroll through my programs. Has something to do with me creating a media share. I'm done with this version of Vista. I'm waiting for the next release of Windows. Meanwhile if anyone is interested..... Kubuntu is what I'm using. Runs great. Does everything I want without the mess. Good luck to all of you guys.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 12:31 AM
  •  

I had to format and re-install everything. Now it is alright. Norton 360 was messing up my setup. Everyone..... before you install an update, you have to disable your virus software. Interfers with the update install. In my case, I un-installed Norton, installed my updates. Then re-installed 360. You don't have to go this route, but I'm not taking chances. Disable all virus scanning software. Also... call 800-360-7561 <=== Microsoft OEM  I ordered a new DVD for free with SP1 on it. My problem was I could not fix Vista because my DVD did not have SP1 on it.

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the info.. I solved the problem with this guide..

Thanks again..

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:28 PM
  • I have the same problem (stopped working and restarting) and here is my conclusion after working with the company Help Desk.  I think various people got his problem shortly after they got a new PC or something is not because they caught a virus but rather, Vista is broken - after they attempt to copy big files.

When I was using Vista before SP1, I used to have problem in copying big files (like copying a folder of pictues from my camera to the PC) which was a known bug.  Vista SP1 aimed to fix this problem but it made it worse instead.  In fact, the "stopped working" and "restarting" had gotten so bad that the documents I have in "My Documents" and "My Pictures" were held hostage as I was not even able to copy them out (say to an external hard disk).

I was able to get around the hostage problem by removing the hard disk, putting in my old XP hard disk and booted into XP.  Then, using XP to access the Vista hard disk as a data hard disk and copy out the data.

But, I was not able to solve the "stopped working" and "restarting" problem without a painful total reinstallation of Vista.

May be Vista SP2 would fix that but that may be another year or two.

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:19 PM
  • I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.I CANNOT START UP , CAN'T CLICK ON TO OTHER SITES..   WHAT TO DO ?

WHAT KIND OF PROGRAMS IS MICROSOFT PUTTING OUT

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:51 PM
  • I have the same problem. Luckily mine only restarts and it is fine, for the next 10 mins. LOOK MICROSOFT THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO LOSE COSTUMERS! I WILL  NEVER BUY THIS INFERIOR *** AGAIN! THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE WITH THEIR COMPUTERS CRASHING AND YOU DO NOTHING. I AM DOWNLOADING LINUX RIGHT NOW. NEXT TIME I BUY A COMPUTER YOU CAN BET YOUR LAST DOLLAR IT WON'T BE A WINDOWS MACHINE!
    Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:11 AM
  • I get the same msg when tring to open control panel, IE and many other things. I tried the right click on IE and run as administrator thing and IE worked. What does this mean??

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Try logging into a different account and see what happens.  If the probablem is only with the one login, then it's something local to that login.  If the problem affects all accounts, try logging into safe mode.  Is the problem there as well?

If the other accounts are ok, then I recommend logging into another account, then run a virus scan and a hard drive scan.  I suggest this because your problem seems really general.  If the virus scan and hard drive scan don't fix the problem, then try reverting your computer to the last restore point before you started having the problem.  If you need to know how to do this, let me know.

If using a restore point doesn't fix the problem, but everything is ok in another user account, then you might have to migrate over to another login account if possible.  If the other accounts are having the same problem though, then you might need to run a repair on your windows installation.  Again, if you need help on this let me know and I'll give more instructions on how to do this.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Okay people, I had the same problem, and instead of trying to solve it I mostly tried to find out how this *** was working. First of all, know that no antivirus program or malware remover will solve the problem. So better quit running all those scans over and over again, no magic will suddenly happen and find the f.cking buddy in your computer. The problem is mostly because of a .dll file in your System32 folder that keeps interrupting.

I cursed Vista all through the time that I have been dealing with this problem, but apparently the "blah blah stopped working" problem is not only due to how incredibly bad Vista is scripted. This might probably also settled in your computer as a virus, probably a Vundo or a Virtumonde. The thing is, Windows Explorer cannot really diagnose the problem. It just does whatever it is told. That's where Vista goes head down to the ground. System32 cannot differentiate the files it likes and it dislikes. Hell. They should really fix it but I don't think the newer version will be perfect either. Hey, it's Windows.

I would strictly advice you to do this if you are facing such a problem.

*Back up all your personal important files into some kind of external memory and leave NOTHING in your computer that you would feel sad for if your system crashed.*

1- Stop the looping by simply Ctrl+Alt+Del → Task Manager → Processes →  explore.exe → end task.

2- Run a full system scan with your antivirus program if you haven't done this yet.

3- Download Security Task Manager. We will use this in a while.

4- Download Spyware Doctor and use these for registering :
    Name: Christley
    Serial: H0GH0T-89TGJK-YQ7VB5-R89C9B-DMG802-FPW08P

5- Scan your system with this program and as it finishes, delete all the risky features. You will have to reboot. Reboot.

6- Now open up Security Task Manager. This is a simple program that shows you what is active right now in your computer. The ones on top are most likely to be risky. Write it down somewhere, if it's a malware it is probably a dll file, and its name is a mix of letters with no meaning (mine were vwbbfyus and pmnkijhF)

7- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, start task manager. And follow these steps :
         File → New Task (run) → Browse → Change the "Programs" option to "All Files" (it is down on the right) →
         Press "Date Modified" to list them according to their download dates. See the most recent ones.

Is the file you had written down before, in the upper list? Maybe downloaded today, yesterday, or somehow close to 
         the problem appearance? Well hey, you found the ***. (We do this to make sure we don't delete something vital)

8- Bad news is, sometimes your system might not let you delete this file, saying a *** like "You need permission to do this." Who the hell do you think you are, I am the administrator here! I am the God! So here is the solution to your last trick you mthrfckr..

9- Start Security Task Manager again, find the file, right click on it, there should be an option indicated with a red cross, saying "Remove" (my program is in my own language so I don't really know what it is in English, but it should be something like remove or delete or whatever)

10 - Two options will be served to you. Choose the second one. The file will be carried to quarantine. (first one is a temporary solution, next time you start your computer problem will be back again)

11- Reboot your system.

Ta-daaa.. It should be gone. I strongly recommend you to do a scan with your Antivirus program AND the Spyware Doctor to see if anything else remains. Also, check Security Task Manager one more time. Your file should be down in the list, with a very little risk possibility, it should be written in gray and there should be a "not active" information.

Na na naah.

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Mosesk1489.  My issue was a Corel Menu Guide that corroupted my system.  I uninstalled it and all is well.  What a pain in the butt.  Thank goodness for the net!  I can imagine how many others end up having to take their systems in a get fleeced for something so simple.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Thank you so very much.  After 2 days of reading all the threads, you finally gave me the solution.  Like you my problem was an MPEG file on my desktop that I could not delete.  However, from the cmd prompt I got to the desktop found the file and was able to delete it.  Problem solved.  Once again, thank you.

For others with the same trouble I got to the cmd prompt by way of task manager.  Alt+Ctrl+Del.  Under Processes I killed "explorer.exe".  That stop the looping of the problem.  Then under Applications I ran a New Task and entered cmd.  I then entered command dir to list the content.  Found Desktop change dir to Desktop (cd Desktop).  Then deleted file by del "filename"

Gerry
    Friday, July 11, 2008 1:01 PM
  • It happens when the media manager tries to display thumbnails. Try the following steps.

1. Click Start and click Control Panel

2. Locate 'Folder Options' icon and double-click.
    3. Click the 'View' Tab
    4. Under 'Files and Folders', check "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option.
    5. Click Apply and OK.

Should work. It worked for me. As far as I know its NOT a virus.

Prem
    • Proposed as answer by lttl_espana Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:03 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:57 AM
  • This works 100% i just did it and it fixed the problem
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:30 AM
  • i have tried to do what you  said but it wont let me end the process 'system idle process'. when i try to end it it says (the operation coulnd not be complated.the operation is not valid for this process. i have also been told to end the process explorer.exe and then re.enable it in applications in task manager but this has no affect either. i can open the control panel but not anything within it which is a real pain. can you help please?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi!

I had same problem and I have found solution to it.
    Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer
    Select Windows Logs - Application in left pane.
    Than in main pane find Error , type Application error.
    Explanation of the error is in lower pane - for me it says that TosBtShell.dll was unable to load.
    I found that dll in C:\windows\system32\ , you want be able to delete it but you can rename it into something like
    whatever.txt and you want have any more problems.
    Picture is here: http://hrvojej.googlepages.com/event

hrvoje

Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:13 PM
  •  

Hi Everybody. I just solved the problem with windows explorer. Go here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regdllview.zip

and downpoad this software. Run it and disable anything which is not windows or Microsoft.  If your windows explorer stops hanging go back in and, one-by-one, enable the disabled items - trying the windows explorer after each enable - then when you will find which program is causing your problem, You can then uninstall it and flush it down the loo.

Hope it works for you all.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Go here.Download the software.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regdllview.zip

Run this software, disable anything which is not microsoft or windows. Try windows explorer. If itnis now working go back, enable the diabled items one by one - try explorer after each enable until you locate the trouble maker.

Success.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Can you tell me how to fix my win xp image?  I have a strong feeling that may be my problem.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:05 AM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:06 AM
  •  USMCSKI wrote:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:08 AM
  • no, sometimes restoring ones pc is the answer, sometimes there are more simple steps to take before restoration.  take for example, just yesterday i put a new movie file on my computer, i saved it to my desktop and the next time i started my computer the windows explorer message looped on my computer. i moved the file into a folder and the messages stopped.  the next thing i did was opened the folder and the messages appeared again. now get this there was nothing wrong with the video. the only problem was that i didn't have the right codec for the file.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:36 AM
  • I have a desktop  with Win Vista  worked fine then I started getting this Windows explorer has stopped working, then another window comes up and says Windows explorer is restarting, and it just loops over and over help. What do I do to fix this rosee.atica@yahoo.com put in windows stopped working I will understand who is writing please.

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:02 PM
  • I tried this but it wouldn't let me end the process. 

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:02 PM
  • i have somany Dekstos with Vista business .All are creating throuwing error messange .
    Called MS support simply said format and reinstall the OS Sad

kindly advice .

all M$ patches are updated .
    Monday, September 29, 2008 10:31 AM
  • thanks, but I too wasn't able go do this one.  I do remember system idle being there before, but----it wasn't there now.

I decided to end explorer process, and new task run it again, but it didn't solve problem.

my problem with this didn't start until-------------------Norton wanted me to subscribe because free trial on new computer ended !....................hummmmmm................

I will do reg fix program I have, and reload anti-virus too, and see if this works. 

will notify if so....

appreciate your input here.

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Seems there are so many people having this problem in different varieties, and there is no simple answer, it is clearly a problem with Vista as online searching shows. I had this happening for ages, Windows Explorer was restarting it seemed to be every other time I right clicked on any file in a new Explorer Window. I searched for ages for a solution online trying lots of 'fixes' that for me didnt work. In my case I finally found from Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services ... a service from Softex Omnipass, a program which had been installed on my computer from new. Under the 'Log On' tab in the properties for that service I unticked the box which says 'Allow this service to interact with the desktop' and hey presto my problem was gone! Maybe this can give a pointer to some for where to look, hopefully some of you may find this clue is relevant to your particular problem.
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I have the same problem, did you find a cure?

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Hey Guys,

Try this. it should work.

Go to Control panel then Folder options

Click on View and tick Always show icons, never thumbnails

It worked for me. It should work for you as well. Good luck
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:04 PM
  • When I try to go to Control Panel or an Administrative Tools shortcut that I have on the Desktop - Windows Explorer stops working. I can't get there from here. Weird.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  

Im Getting And Error Massage Sain Windows Explorer Has Stop Working Windows Explorer Is Restarting

When I Go To The Start Menu And On The Search Box For Example Any Folder  And I Press The Left Side Of The Mice

Im Geeting The Error Please Help Me With Thise Bug Any One Please SENT Me The Link To My E-Mail

How To Fix Thise Bug I Call Microsoft They Toold Me That They Dont Know How To Fix Thise And Pay With My       Credit Card  $99.00 Dollar They DiNT Help Me Plese!!!!

PS: Miguel Rodriguez

Computer Tech

E-Mail: miguel.970@hotmail.com
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  

Download a file to modify the registry
    Download and run a file to modify the registry. To do this follow these steps.

1. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/8/3/c83b06ac-17bc-4677-9f9c-5a3701bc61b2/MSKB946758.exe (http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/8/3/c83b06ac-17bc-4677-9f9c-5a3701bc61b2/mskb946758.exe)
    2. Download the MSKB946758.exe file. Save the file to the desktop.
    3. Double-click the MSKB946758.exe file, accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then unzip the file to the desktop.
    4. Right-click the "Familysafety critical update_explorer crash.reg" file, select Open with, and then click Registry Editor. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation User Account Control permission, type the password, or click Continue.
    5. When you will receive a message that asks whether you are sure that you want to add the information to the registry, click Yes.
    -------------------------------------------------
    RESTART THE MACHINE & VOILA ! THE PROBLEM'S GONE
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:59 AM
  • I am workin on Windows 2000, & I had faced the same problem.... with Windows explorer, Internet Explorer, and Control Pannel, I tried every mentioned way.. but in vain... AT LAST I FOUND IT...

All what it needed is installing Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (over the already installed one).. and it was fixed.......
    i think for XP users the same solution maybe the cure.....

BR...
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Today I was asked to look at a computer owned by a friend.  This is a Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista Home Premium, SP1.  Just last night this computer developed the endless "Windows Explorer has stopped working, Windows Explorer is restarting" loop.

I found that this loop was present only for the user "Amy" and was not present for the other two users.

I logged into another user's account and did a complete disk check including "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".  I received a message that "Windows replaced bad clusters in file 36356 of name \Users\Amy\AppData\Local\Micros~1\Windows\Explorer\Thumbc~1.db.

The disk check isn't complete yet, but I'll bet that the file listed above is what caused the problem.  Since Windows has presumably "fixed" the file, I'm hopeful that the problem will be solved. 

Checking the free space on the 120 Gig hard disk is going to take a while, so I'll log in later and give a final report.

Later...

Yes.  Fixing this file in the \Explorer\ directory solved the problem.
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:34 AM
  • Thanks John for this post, as well as all the others with hints of different applications that make this LOOP happen.

In the repair of (3) units; I have found the Interactive, or extra Macros certain users have loaded, to be the culprits.  Microsoft should soon be able to make a Service Pack to fix the problem, but until then............just all of us with heads together on this, will be our best resolve......

Many are still dealing with the problems that follow the LOOP situation, and take a long time to see what caused the initial problem.  ( like not being able to RESTORE the system, etc.)

When repairing this new laptop, due to the incorrect software loaded at factory, and having to uninstall and reload OS, I can say I agree that none want to go to that length to fix this now problem as it is a big headache.  It won't fix the problem, because as we get back to general use; it will happen again, so take it slow, and let's search out these Explorer fixes, so we can go forward.

hope this will encourage more not to just "fold"........

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Quick and easy way to fix this.  I guarantee you it will work Smile

1. go to control panel
    2. click on add or remove user accounts
    3. create a new account w/ administrative privelages
    4. log off/shut down computer
    5. turn on computer and log into new account
    6. go to control panel
    7. click on add or remove user accounts
    8. delete old account (the one w/ the windows explorer loop)
    9. make sure to delete files

Hope this helps!
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Hi to All,

There are several scenarios that can case Windows Vista’s – Windows Explorer to stop working.

1. Shared DLL.  Web page opening in IE is not correctly interpreting some DLL or introducing its oven via IE plug-in (with your administrative permissions or due to incorrect settings in IE security).  In combination with some Java script (that snaked into you PC), WE cannot handle the alien DLL.  I switched to IE 8 Beta 2.  – It is more stable than IE7 and other reasons.  Since the switch no failure of WE.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/default.aspx

1. Applications that shadow WE do not have correct DLL.  Examples: archiving applications (most of them written for W95), camera slide shows applications, and incorrect drivers for portable devices.  I use RegCure to resolve shared DLL conflicts.  You must evaluate the different application on you PC and eliminate not needed overlaps.  It is not necessary to install all free application – it is not free.  Go to RegCure and scan your PC.  The scan is free the fix is not.

http://www.pcperformancetools.com/regcure.htm

1. Incomplete Windows updates.  Download, install, and run Microsoft Base Line Security Analyzer 2.1 (current version is 2.1.2104.0).  The MBSA will find out any incomplete updates and other problems with your particular Windows Vista installation.  Some updates are pre-requirement for others. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184923.aspx

1. Inadequate anti-virus protection.  Irrespectively of what antivirus application your have on your PC, go to: 

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/trial-versions.php

And let Kaspersky scan your PC.  The scan is free (for 30 days) the fix is not.

1. Some combination of running applications are temporarily exceeding you physical storage capacity.  Example: copying of DVD and photo editing.

Andrejmart

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:04 AM
  • I'm getting the same error USMCSKI.  Have you received any help yet?

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:47 PM
  •  

it did not work
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:24 AM
  • I am having problems when I used windows explorer  to go around the folders I get the following message  "windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting" please help to resolve this issue..

Thanks,

Leonardo Riano
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:09 PM
  • HOOOORAAAA!!! My wife and I have laptops both started the windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting
    The internet options reset worked for both. Thanks to all.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:41 PM
  • I have been working today on a machine with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 fully patched. Whenever the only user of the machine logged in, Windows Explorer would crash - start - crash seemingly endlessly. The two errors that would appear over and over were:

“Windows Explorer has stopped working”
    “Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working”

I created a new user and the problem did not occur there.

I found two folders on the problem users desktop which contained VOB files created by DVD Decrypter. When I took these folders off the desktop and buried them in the users standard Videos folder the problem on login went away!! I could get Explorer to crash by visiting the folders I had moved but at least I have stopped the continuous crashing that was occuring.

Hope this is useful for some of you.

Cheers, Bill

Thursday, December 04, 2008 4:28 AM
  •  Premjeeth wrote:
    It happens when the media manager tries to display thumbnails. Try the following steps.

3. Click the 'View' Tab
    4. Under 'Files and Folders', check "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option.
    5. Click Apply and OK.

Prem

thank u  very much  man

I spent more than  3 hours trying  to fix this problem  but couldnt, only  the process u explained fixed the problem

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanx   man

Regards,,,,,,,

• Proposed as answer by Juzar Thingna Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:54 AM
    Saturday, December 06, 2008 7:07 PM
  • PERFECT SOLUTION and it worked for all others i advised

FDM (Free download manager) is not compatible with Vista. just uninstall it and enjoy. They claim that there new version is compatible but i have tested every version and found creating problem.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Hi the best way to get rid of this stupid problem is just follow the following steps.
    1) open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and then end all processes under your user name.
    2) go to file tab in the task manager and click on run task. type explorer and hit enter
    3) Now ull be able to access the various folders in ur comp now just press the win key open user accounts and create a new user account with administrator privileges. while creating the new account don't import anything from the old one.
    4) Now this new account should work perfectly.
    5) Now log into your new account and delete the old one and you can import all your important files into a new folder into the new account.
    6) Check the imported files throughly and keep only those you require and are sure of. Delete the rest using shift+del
    7) Your computer should be back to normal.

Cheers,
    Juzar
    • Proposed as answer by Juzar Thingna Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:54 AM
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:52 AM
  • I was playing with matches/fire (something I had no business doing).  Since He is always watching He s slapped the back of my hand with His Ruler.  In XP Explorer whent balistic with 5 second restarts.  Fortunately I was able to make my wireless connection and surf  here.

The ideas were somewhat helpful.  First I used task manager new task to browse into windows only to discover that the files dispite haveing beed selected would not display for the current user.

So I created a new user with Administration privelege.  I could not boot into the desktop but I was able to find the last four
    dll files in the windows folder that were created at the time explorer stoped working and deleted them.  Then I did a fast switch into
    the user I was using before and now the desktop is stable.  The new user is barely configured.

I wanted to right click on windows explorer and run as administrator but I do not use passwords and windows would not allow it.

All my restore points are lost and gone and I am not able to repair the component for some reason.

I did do a sfc /scannow in the cmd but it did not display any status on completion and I was otherwise engaged and missed the completion.

I hope my success inspires and and object lesson learned do not play with fire.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Premjeeth said:

It happens when the media manager tries to display thumbnails. Try the following steps.

3. Click the 'View' Tab
    5. Click Apply and OK.

Prem

This worked for me!!!

Thank you Premjeeth!!

:)

consumer, not a computer IT
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Join the club!  I have the same problem and have been done the same as most of you -- system restore, etc. to no avail.  Good luck!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:36 AM