none
IE10 on Win7 64bit website issues with Protected Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I updated a Win7 64bit machine to IE10. Some sites are unusable with it. Compatibility mode does not help. Putting the sites in the Trusted Zone makes them work due to Protected Mode being off  there. (I tested by temporarily turning it off in the Internet Zone and navigating to just that site.)

Strangely, both these sites that don't work properly with Protected Mode on Win7 64bit, not only worked fine with Protected Mode in IE9, but also work fine with IE10 Protected Mode on Win7 32bit. So what's different about Protected Mode on IE10 that only affects Win7 64bit?

If anyone wants to test, here is one of the problem sites:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

For anyone else who might be reading, godaddy webmail (the other problem site; login req'd) will work if you switch to their 'updated view' (you'll likely have to disable protected mode temporarily to be able to switch). Unfortunately the user here hates the updated view.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:35 AM

Answers

• Thanks for testing. Must be unrelated to the machine with the issue being Win7 64bit then. The 'undefined' error happens even when the page works, so that's also likely unrelated.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Tools>Active X Filtering... or

click the blue circle icon with the line through it in the Address bar to turn off ActiveX filtering FOR the current website.

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "reset all zones to default"..... Trusted sites list.... remove the sites you've just added because you did not use the help menu.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:25 AM
  • If anyone wants to test, here is one of the problem sites:

What is the problem there?
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:03 PM
    Answerer
  • Tools>Active X Filtering... or

click the blue circle icon with the line through it in the Address bar to turn off ActiveX filtering FOR the current website.

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "reset all zones to default"..... Trusted sites list.... remove the sites you've just added because you did not use the help menu.

Your input is much appreciated, however neither of those fixed this issue.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 1:17 PM
  • If anyone wants to test, here is one of the problem sites:

What is the problem there?

The map does not appear, i.e. the entire page is blank except for the navigation items at the top of the page. I just checked in Developer Tools and the site is showing a repeated error:

'_gat' is undefined

Is the site working for you on a 64bit Win7 machine (with IE10 Protected Mode)?

Monday, April 22, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Is the site working for you on a 64bit Win7 machine (with IE10 Protected Mode)?

Yes.   Comes up with North America showing but requires Zoom (e.g. via Mouse Wheel) to get anything useful from it.  Even works in InPrivate Browsing mode (which is a bit surprising.)
    Monday, April 22, 2013 2:23 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for testing. Must be unrelated to the machine with the issue being Win7 64bit then. The 'undefined' error happens even when the page works, so that's also likely unrelated.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:34 AM
  • i have different issue with IE10 on win7 64 as well.

my only suggestion is to install another non-ie browser.

unless you want to downgrade the ie, which i believe it won't resolve the issue.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:20 AM