Multiple Gateway servers - or how to migrate smoothly to Azure App Proxy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

we are currently having a RDS 2012 R2 deployment and want to switch to Azure App Proxy.

My idea was to deploy a second rdweb/gateway server and configure it with my poc group and then my pilot users. 

I do not want to build a new RDS deployment from scratch to test if all my settings work.

Is this even possible? I only find HA configurations (which i do not want because it is a different config for each gateway server) or "It should work" posts.

Or is there an even better preferred way to migrate to Azure App Proxy with RDS?

<h3>Regards Stephan</h3>

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When integrating Azure app proxy with RDS deployment, it acts or replaces as VPN. And it is OK to deploy second Gateway/Rdweb server in 1 RDS environment.

Please make sure you have met the requirements listed in below link and follow the steps:

Publish Remote Desktop with Azure AD Application Proxy

Reference links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/manage-apps/application-proxy-integrate-with-remote-desktop-services#requirements

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/manage-apps/application-proxy-integrate-with-remote-desktop-services

https://www.vroege.biz/?p=2462

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Looking forward to your update and please mark useful reply as answer.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

thank you for the information. But is it possible to have 2 gateways with different settings in the same deployment? 

I will try in my lab 2 different approaches. 

Creating a new deployment with W2019 servers and then move the session hosts to the new deployment.
    Creating a second gateway with different settings.

One or the other may work :)

<h3>Regards Stephan</h3>

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

What different settings are on the two Gateway? If you have test machines, just test your plan before deploying the production environment.

Please feel free to let us know if more questions with RDS and mark useful reply as Answer.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Hey Jenny,

i am trying to perform this settings:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure///active-directory/manage-apps/application-proxy-integrate-with-remote-desktop-services

But it would be great if i could just build it on a second gateway server that is added to our deployment. Test everything, pilot some users and then just switch. That would be easier than built a second RDP test environment and test it then.

<h3>Regards Stephan</h3>

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Per the screenshots shared in my first reply, adding second Gateway should be workable.

But please understand I could not test this as lack of Azure deployment. So it is appreciated if you could share updates after testing or create new thread if there are more issues during deployment.

Thanks,

Jenny

Friday, August 23, 2019 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

PleaseMark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,

Jenny

Monday, August 26, 2019 5:23 AM