none
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB - Camera APP is needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, please help, much appreciated your help on this:

we are trying to figure out which will be our migration plan for W7 environment, but in meanwhile we need to deploy some Windows Surfaces Pro for production environment purposes.

We decide to go for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB version, because we don't need Windows system apps (Edge, Store Client, Cortana) and Windows universal apps (Outlook Mail/Calendar, OneNote, Weather, News, Sports, Money, Photos, Music, Clock) but, camera app is needed for the environment production purposes.

We based our choice according to this URL: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt598226(v=vs.85).aspx#install_updates_LTSB

Some searches pointed to some hack on reg keys.

Some other searches pointed to some powershell commands. (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"})

I'm asking your help because we just need to add camera app to the standard image and we are confusing because we have 2 doubts:

Install Windows 10 Enterprise CCB and disable "Edge, Store, Cortana and universal apps with GPOs?
    Install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB and enable somehow the camera App?? This method is supported by Microsoft?

Ricardo Soares

Ricardo Soares

• Edited by U871NLE Monday, October 12, 2015 1:34 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Yes, the full Universal Windows Platform is present.  But the Windows Store app isn’t, so you’d have to get the install files, maybe through the Windows Store for Business, which allows you to download the installation files for offline installation, or obtain them directly from the ISV.

2. Yes, using the methods mentioned above or using sideloading.

3.  Sideloading via PowerShell, pushing via MDM or ConfigMgr, etc.  Pretty much the same way you would on non-LTSB, except you can’t directly use the Windows Store

regards,

signatureforums

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:50 PM
  • Hello,

to get Windows Camera native (.appx) on Microsoft Surface 4 PRO with Windows 10 LTSB:

1. Windows Store for Business has a new feature that is: download offline. After downloaded the files (Camera.appx + Pre-requesites.appx), was installed through PowerShell with the command (Add-AppxPackage) and added to the system. 

2. This process is called by Microsoft “sideloaded apps” and has a pre-requisite – > Settings > Click Update & Security > For developers > On Use developer features, select Sideload apps.

Problem: With the command (Add-AppxPackage) Windows Camera was installed only on the user profile and we want to Local Machine.
    Question: Is there any way to add this (.appx) for all users?
    Answer: YES

After download the files (Camera.appx + Pre-requesites.appx), and save on "C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\". Execute the below lines on a batch file.

REM PRE-REQUISITES
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1_1.0.23115.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1_1.0.23115.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.23816.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.23816.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    REM CAMERA SOFTWARE
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2016.325.60.0_neutral_-_8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle /SkipLicense

Depending how you're imaging your devices, found that DISM Cmdlets can be used in PowerShell to add the (.appx) to the .WIM file. Windows ADK is needed.
    I still prefer to build a package and add it to post-installation software batch.

Ricardo Soares

• Marked as answer by U871NLE Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:57 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you need modern apps, you should use the default Windows 10 Enterprise CBB and not LTSB. Any hacks are not supported by Microsoft.

There are script available you need need to remove some modern apps.

signatureforums

Monday, October 12, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Hi, 

injecting apps for pre-provisioning in a wim as always been a supported practice, the problem is more how to get our hands on the camera appx package.

LTSB servicing is all that we need, cause non-core apps neither universal apps neither or updates all the time. We just need the camera for Surface devices.

We can also do it with an third party app, the question is, what to do to enable the camera for third party app.

Regards

Ricardo Soares

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:09 AM
  • Windows 10 LTSB is targeted at things like ATMs, kiosks, medical devices, etc. - things that are generally not subject to change for long periods of time and/or are deemed "mission critical".

Yes pre-provisioning is a supported practice but you won't have access to microsoft core apps (LTSB rights). Tha'ts why I told you it is better to get the non LTSB and remove all others apps you don't want in your image except the camera.

Yes, there are ways to get it working on ltsb, simply not supported by microsoft.

signatureforums

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

Assuming we want to stay in Windows 10 LTSB (business reasons):

is possible to have any Metro App installed?

is possible to install any (.appx) from a third party?

what the best method to install (.appx) on LTSB?

Thanks and regards

Ricardo Soares

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

1. Yes, the full Universal Windows Platform is present.  But the Windows Store app isn’t, so you’d have to get the install files, maybe through the Windows Store for Business, which allows you to download the installation files for offline installation, or obtain them directly from the ISV.

2. Yes, using the methods mentioned above or using sideloading.

3.  Sideloading via PowerShell, pushing via MDM or ConfigMgr, etc.  Pretty much the same way you would on non-LTSB, except you can’t directly use the Windows Store

regards,

signatureforums

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:50 PM
  • I work with Win10 LTSB and CBB for embedded clients.  You can run modern apps on LTSB, but you must install them yourself as other responders have indicated.  What you should also consider is that LTSB will be updated slowly and only if you roll the updates out to your devices.  If you want to obtain the current Camera app and install it, you can as described by others here, but understand that you will be responsible for compatibility.  There is no Store on LTSB, there will be no automatic updates or bug fixes.  The Camera app will continue to evolve along with CBB (that's the non-enterprise Win10 version).

So, you have the current Win10 LTSB and a compatible Camera.  CBB goes through 4 updates in 2 years, but you're still on the original LTSB.  Then, you decide to roll-out LTSB update 1, and it breaks the camera.  Now you're in trouble.  The Camera has evolved along with 4 CBB updates.  You have no compatible version.  If you're going to take the current LTSB and Camera and never update either, even if you find a bug in Camera, then you're OK with the approach suggested.  Get the Camera install package and use scripts to add it to your LTSB image.

But if updates matter, you're better off creating your own Camera app on UWP on LTSB, so that you can maintain it and roll it out yourself as needed.  My company does this for clients, and the above is why.

Cheers,

Elo

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:18 PM
  • Hi, 

I have a Windows 10 LTSB Gold image for my corporate environment, I would like to inject Microsoft Edge on it using DISM. Any Idea how I would do that.

IF using Powershell would be possible, how would I do that as well?

Thank you in advance. 

Eden Oliveira

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Hello,

You can get Apps from the Windows Store for Business which then could be applied to the LTSB edition. It's possible that not the apps will be available, Edge will not be for example.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:07 PM
  • I tried the above hI tried the above hack also but the applications would just crash after the loading screen, i found this script online which works but isnt supported by microsoft.

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72904-Install-Microsoft-Store-and-Apps-on-Windows-10-LTSB-2016

• Edited by Raymond.T.Preston Friday, December 23, 2016 10:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Raymond.T.Preston Friday, December 23, 2016 10:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by U871NLE Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:57 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 10:27 AM
  • Hello,

to get Windows Camera native (.appx) on Microsoft Surface 4 PRO with Windows 10 LTSB:

1. Windows Store for Business has a new feature that is: download offline. After downloaded the files (Camera.appx + Pre-requesites.appx), was installed through PowerShell with the command (Add-AppxPackage) and added to the system. 

2. This process is called by Microsoft “sideloaded apps” and has a pre-requisite – > Settings > Click Update & Security > For developers > On Use developer features, select Sideload apps.

Problem: With the command (Add-AppxPackage) Windows Camera was installed only on the user profile and we want to Local Machine.
    Question: Is there any way to add this (.appx) for all users?
    Answer: YES

After download the files (Camera.appx + Pre-requesites.appx), and save on "C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\". Execute the below lines on a batch file.

REM PRE-REQUISITES
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1_1.0.23115.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1_1.0.23115.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.23816.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.23816.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx /SkipLicense
    REM CAMERA SOFTWARE
    dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\temp\Windows10-Apps\W10-CameraApp\Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2016.325.60.0_neutral_-_8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle /SkipLicense

Depending how you're imaging your devices, found that DISM Cmdlets can be used in PowerShell to add the (.appx) to the .WIM file. Windows ADK is needed.
    I still prefer to build a package and add it to post-installation software batch.

Ricardo Soares

• Marked as answer by U871NLE Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:57 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:57 AM

• I wanted to post my solution because I recently had the same request.  The end-user needed the Camera App in the LTSB version.

Download the Windows 10 Inbox Apps ISO from VLSC; I used the one dated from 2016-07-16

I extracted:
    ----------------------
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.x64.1.3.appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.x86.1.3.appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.x64.1.3.appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.x86.1.3.appx
    Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.14.00.appx
    Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.14.00.appx

I started from a "clean" Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 1607 VM, copied the above files and used PowerShell Add-AppxPackage to install all of the pieces above.

You also need to install Fiddler - http://www.telerik.com/fiddler

A good video on the procedure is here "how to download AppxBundle file and How to sideload it(windows 10)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acAuUk9gJxc

After you install the Windows Store App, it should be in the application list under "Store".  If you click on it and it launches and closes quickly, it means that the "Windows Update Service" is disabled, you need to start it.

When you get the Store app launched, search for Camera, you should see the Microsoft version, click on it to bring to focus.  It might say something like "download" or get for free.  When I first clicked on it, It made me sign in with my Microsoft ID, however after I logged in, the store closed.  When I launched the Store app a second time and found the app again, it started downloading immediately after clicking the button.  Make sure you have Fiddler running to capture the traffic.  I used Fiddler to copy the URLs and copied each of them into IE and manually downloaded each of the components needed for the Windows Camera App.

Windows Camera
    2017.308.50.0 2017-04-27  (What was downloaded)

Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
    Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.24123.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
    Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.24123.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
    Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2017_308_50_0.AppxBundle

Use the Add-AppxPackage procedure from above on these files, and this will install the Microsoft Windows Camera App.

Hope this helps someone else with the same problem,

Hugh

• Edited by Ohio Hugh Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:50 PM
  • This whole idea of using CBB for enterprise is quite amusing. My management does not want to see any Xbox related items on work computers. I disagree with Microsoft approach and your suggestion. Most enterprises will have SCCM which allows you to push applications to the operating system. LTSB is the best Windows 10 operating system. Microsoft should stop shunning it... because they will find most organizations will turn to it for managing their environments.
    Monday, December 11, 2017 9:41 PM
  • deemed mission critical... You mean like every machine in an enterprise environment? I push apps to LTSB using SCCM no problem. It's just finding the source that makes things difficult.

Monday, December 11, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

i know this thread is old, but i cannot find the Windows 10 inbox apps.iso

Is there another way of getting the pre-requities, bearing in mind i already have the camera .appx

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:50 AM
  • I need download Windows 10 inbox apps.iso for windows 10 1809
    Friday, October 19, 2018 5:30 PM