none
Windows 10 ~ Internet Explorer 11 RRS feed

• Question

• After a Windows 10 update I now get the error: 

"the ordinal 9 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)iexplore.exe"

How can I fix this problem???

Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:31 AM

Answers

• IE was completely missing from the path (C:\Program Files (x86)). I copied it off of a W-10 machine that was next to it.

I suspect doing that would just cause problems.  The symptom usually means that the user has unchecked  Internet Explorer  in Windows Features.  That removes  iexplore.exe  and its shortcuts.  Checking that option again would restore them.  Unfortunately doing that is a lost opportunity to do a repair too; so if something was broken before it will be broken again, but not "completely missing."   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, October 9, 2016 9:19 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Do you have any security program installed on the computer?

2. Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

You may run the System File Checker scan. Follow the steps mentioned below.

1.Click Start.

2.Type “cmd” in the search bar.

3.Right click on Command Prompt in the list.

4.Choose “Run as Administrator”

5.Type “sfc /scannow” (Note: there is a space after sfc)

For more information, please refer to the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If the issue persists, you may perform Clean Boot and check if any non-Microsoft service is causing conflict for the issue to occur. Clean boot helps eliminate any third party software conflict.

For more information, please refer to the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

AVG is on the computer. The problem started after a MS Update. IE was completely missing from the path (C:\Program Files (x86)). I copied it off of a W-10 machine that was next to it. SFC was no help...

Friday, September 30, 2016 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:21 AM
  • No I haven't. I need to be able to re-install IE back into Windows 10. I have not found a download that will allow installation.
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 1:13 PM
  • IE was completely missing from the path (C:\Program Files (x86)). I copied it off of a W-10 machine that was next to it.

I suspect doing that would just cause problems.  The symptom usually means that the user has unchecked  Internet Explorer  in Windows Features.  That removes  iexplore.exe  and its shortcuts.  Checking that option again would restore them.  Unfortunately doing that is a lost opportunity to do a repair too; so if something was broken before it will be broken again, but not "completely missing."   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, October 9, 2016 9:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I have the same issue.

Some time ago I noticed that the function "Open in Internet Explorer" does not work. I tried to enable the internet explorer in the Windows Features ... it is not there .. I cannot check the check-box or not....

if I copy the installation from another windows 10, I get the error: Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 594 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

what are my options? I need the Internet Explorer since some of our web apps require it...

Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:56 AM
  •  tried to enable the internet explorer in the Windows Features ... it is not there ...

It appears that that DISM function is being deprecated.  The new method uses Settings.  Manage Optional Features.  Otherwise, it could be in a state similar to the Windows Search Client, managed by DISM but (somehow) not shown.  In PowerShell use 

Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online |? FeatureName -match "Option"

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:22 AM
    Answerer